What's new

Caring for threads of razor

I rinse them off and leave them apart until they dry, then dont tighten them when they are stored.

All of my razors are stainless, so I dont really worry about it. Theyre made of a metal that is designed to withstand being exposed to water, so I see nothing to really be worried about.

A tiny dab of Vaseline, which is a relative of petroleum jelly, can do the deed; however, many old razors have survived decades of no maintenance and they will outlast us.

Not sure if this will be of help. But when I was reading up on the Karve stainless steel razor that I am planning on getting when the shop I am getting it from has stock. The care paperwork for that razor mentioned about using a drop of oil on the threads. But they made a point of mentioning that they (Karve) use petroleum jelly. The thing with some oils is, it is not good for the skin. Whereas petroleum jelly is fine.

So petroleum jelly is what I will use on the threads of the Karve (when I get one) and also the threads on my other three piece razors.

Hope this helps :)

Here's what I do. When tightening, I start by turning the handle the "wrong" way, ie, counter-clockwise. I keep turning until I hear or feel a "click". That tells me that the threads of the head and the handle are properly lined up. I then tighten the handle. This method prevents cross-threading.

I do this with all threaded items such as screws for example. By using this method I have been able to repeatedly take apart and put together plastic items held together with steel screws without problem.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I really do nothing. I usually only use my razors for a week and then change to another one. If I was going to use one razor for the rest of my life I may do something like a few drops of oil to help the threads but really I think that they were made for minimal maintenance and we are constantly overthinking things these days.

I have a bottle of gun oil with a needle applicator that I use on my merkurs. apply one drop on the cap threads........one drop on the handle threads prior to reassembly.

camo

Hello

I use a this after clean and drying. Just a dab via q-tip.

Cheers
John

E0791DA7-FBC9-4443-86AE-2F7212F068CD.jpeg

My organic solution is olive oil. After removing the blade from any of my 3 piece razors (usually after 3 shaves), I wash the razor parts thoroughly and let them dry the rest of the day. Then I place a few drops of olive oil on the threads. If I'm using the razor with a new blade, I leave the razor disassembled. If not, I assemble the razor and put it back in its stand with my other guys.

im nervous in what i use after reading other's posts. I have a no fragrance beard oil with an eye dropper. I put a drop of that on the threads once a month.

Top Bottom