What's new

career as barber in 40s

Well that's a good and well but its not about picking up girls. Its about knowing how to read people, strike up small talk and understand when to talk and when to stop talking and just cut their hair. Having people skills isn't the same as hitting on girls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
if you dont do well in acadmics and dont like physical work (construction) the choices are slim. if not barbering not sure what else to do.
look into some medical assistant clerk at the community college but doesnt really appeal to me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
You need to be an EMT. You spend all day sitting in an ambulance, driving around listening to music. There’s occasional lifting, but most of the stretchers are hydraulic push button now and you can call the Fire Dept. for extra help if needed.
Here’s what you need to know.
1. If they’re not breathing, breath for them (not mouth to mouth).
2. If their heart isn’t beating do chest compressions.
3. If it’s bleeding or just makes you say “what the ****” cover it up (preferably with a a sterile dressing)
4. Babies are slippery when they come out (don’t drop it).
5. If it’s warm, wet, and doesn’t belong to you, don’t touch it without gloves on.
The rest is just driving an oversized panel van with flashy lights and and a woo-woo. As long as you stay at the EMT level classes last about a semester.
Trust me, I’ve been a medic for almost 20yrs. I mean come on, it’s right there in the name EMS- Earn Money Sleeping.

You need to be an EMT. You spend all day sitting in an ambulance, driving around listening to music. There’s occasional lifting, but most of the stretchers are hydraulic push button now and you can call the Fire Dept. for extra help if needed.
3. If it’s bleeding or just makes you say “what the ****” cover it up (preferably with a a sterile dressing)
5. If it’s warm, wet, and doesn’t belong to you, don’t touch it without gloves on.
The rest is just driving an oversized panel van with flashy lights and and a woo-woo. As long as you stay at the EMT level classes last about a semester.
Trust me, I’ve been a medic for almost 20yrs. I mean come on, it’s right there in the name EMS- Earn Money Sleeping.

I was in the NHS ambulance service for 20 years and have to say in the last 10 years it drastically changed. You'd get maybe 3 or 4 jobs on a night shift where as now when I left in 2015 you easily get 12 to 14. It was just job, job, job. None stop. And every one of then wanted to be carried, every one of them. That's part of the reason I gave it up, the back pain and just rubbish we went to was sole destroying. Top whack para only earns band 5/6 money which is around £25k to £33k a year. Mates of mine still in the service say new recruits are gone with in 12 months, 5 years at best. They just think its about saving lives like the UK TV show, they don't or don't want the rubbish that goes with it.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I was in the NHS ambulance service for 20 years and have to say in the last 10 years it drastically changed. You'd get maybe 3 or 4 jobs on a night shift where as now when I left in 2015 you easily get 12 to 14. It was just job, job, job. None stop. And every one of then wanted to be carried, every one of them. That's part of the reason I gave it up, the back pain and just rubbish we went to was sole destroying. Top whack para only earns band 5/6 money which is around £25k to £33k a year. Mates of mine still in the service say new recruits are gone with in 12 months, 5 years at best. They just think its about saving lives like the UK TV show, they don't or don't want the rubbish that goes with it.

My earlier response was more tongue in cheek than anything.
I’ve always worked in very high volume 911 services so there was very little/no sleeping. My first post was a 24hr station that averaged 18 calls a shift. We were at the station for maybe 4hrs over the 24hrs. Most of the high volume EMS systems here have switched to 12 or 16hr shifts due to volume. In the 12hrs you work you run 8-9 calls. You stay busy so the shift goes by quick but there is very little time for eating, bathroom breaks, or finishing charts.
I agree with the change. The new folks today have watched the TV and think that all EMS runs are gunshot wounds and bar fights. In reality most of it is picking old people up off the floor, taking people to the hospital that were involved in car wrecks where there is a scratch on their bumper but their pain is a “10” (we say they’re insurance is hurting), and nursing home runs. Don’t get me started on our “frequent flyers”. Sorry the PC term is “high volume utilizers”.
Most new folks last about 2-3yrs then go on to do something else. Average job expectancy for a Paramedic is somewhere around 6yrs. Those of us that continue to do it end up a little broken inside but care enough about others that we keep going. It is truly a calling

Last edited:
Other than the whole part about having to go to accident scenes and to peoples' houses who have life threatening injuries and knowing that at least some of the people who you try to help arent going to make it, no matter what you do, it sounds great. LOL
I personally couldnt do it. The job would just be too depressing because you would just know sometimes that no matter you do, they arent going to make it.
At least as a barber, all you are doing is cutting hair and shooting the breeze with people. Its not a life or death kind of thing and is pretty low-stress.

Other than the whole part about having to go to accident scenes and to peoples' houses who have life threatening injuries and knowing that at least some of the people who you try to help arent going to make it, no matter what you do, it sounds great. LOL
I personally couldnt do it. The job would just be too depressing because you would just know sometimes that no matter you do, they arent going to make it.
At least as a barber, all you are doing is cutting hair and shooting the breeze with people. Its not a life or death kind of thing and is pretty low-stress.

Strange thing is........ While I joined the cops and then the ambo service my brother left school and trained as.......a gents hair dresser and barber. He went all over the world doing fashion shoots and early pop videos when MTV took off. He still cuts hair now but retrained as an English teacher in the prison service after his divorce.

My earlier response was more tongue in cheek than anything.
I’ve always worked in very high volume 911 services so there was very little/no sleeping. My first post was a 24hr station that averaged 18 calls a shift. We were at the station for maybe 4hrs over the 24hrs. Most of the high volume EMS systems here have switched to 12 or 16hr shifts due to volume. In the 12hrs you work you run 8-9 calls. You stay busy so the shift goes by quick but there is very little time for eating, bathroom breaks, or finishing charts.
I agree with the change. The new folks today have watched the TV and think that all EMS runs are gunshot wounds and bar fights. In reality most of it is picking old people up off the floor, taking people to the hospital that were involved in car wrecks where there is a scratch on their bumper but their pain is a “10” (we say they’re insurance is hurting), and nursing home runs. Don’t get me started on our “frequent flyers”. Sorry the PC term is “high volume utilizers”.
Most new folks last about 2-3yrs then go on to do something else. Average job expectancy for a Paramedic is somewhere around 6yrs. Those of us that continue to do it end up a little broken inside but care enough about others that we keep going. It is truly a calling

Lol I defo don't miss the city "high speed" RTA's. Speeds reaching 25mph!! A slight neck ache at worst and a "do I get a copy of the paperwork for the insurance" conversation 🤯🤯🤯

yea lol sounds stressful and lot of responsbitlies . uhh

Top Bottom