What's new

Care of the Henson razor between shaves

Sounds like it’s optional to me. My Henson gets used daily. I’ll save the thread wear and keep it screwed down.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I disassemble the razor, clean it with a toothbrush and toothpaste, strop the blade on my thumbs (I'm not actually suggesting anyone else try this), let it dry for about a half hour, then put it back together. I do the same with all my razors. Every shave. And I know I'm not the only one. :out:

I put the razor back together without the blade. I keep the blade separate because I typically use a different blade every shave. I do reuse blades, for many shaves each, I just do it this way because I have a rotation of about 3 different blades.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh wow I didn't even know about those instructions, I just rince is clean between shaves on the same blade, and when it's time to switch to a new blade or i'm ready to switch razors, I just take scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush to it. I don't loosen it or anything, it's kept locked and loaded. Seems to be ok so far?

The guidance is probably because if you leave the blade in and it doesn't fully dry where the blade sits against the razor, you have the potential for discoloration and/or deterioration of the finish on the base plate or cap. If you want to leave the blade in, I would guess you could remove it, blot it dry, wipe dry the base plate and cap, and put the blade back in.

Oh my gosh, why does it matter of he's used it out not? Some of the folks on this thread inquired about the ingredients used, and once they were listed, @Atlantic59 simply pointed out the similarity to other soaps. He didn't say that Canada is crap, in fact, he noted similarities to a couple very fine soaps. I don't see why his opinion on the ingredients used is any less valid than anyone's opinion on the performance.

I think it's to prevent rust on the blade, which can get on the razor.

Agreed. I leave all my razors slightly open between shaves. It helps with air drying.

I reached out to Henson directly. Here is the question I asked along with the response received on this matter:

In between shaves I notice in your FAQ section that it's recommended to loosen the handle to the point where the blade is no longer bending. Is the rationale behind this so all components dry properly? I would appreciate an official reply.

Answer: Yes, the idea in unscrewing the razor slightly is to allow airflow into the razor and blade between shaves.

Thank you.

The guidance is probably because if you leave the blade in and it doesn't fully dry where the blade sits against the razor, you have the potential for discoloration and/or deterioration of the finish on the base plate or cap. If you want to leave the blade in, I would guess you could remove it, blot it dry, wipe dry the base plate and cap, and put the blade back in.

This is what I was thinking as well. They recommend opening the cap so the razor can dry out without rusting or staining the razor. If you have multiple razors in use it could be several weeks before you get back to the Henson. Although if you go with titanium it doesn't matter 😉

A sort of related question is, since the head puts a lot of pressure on the blade when installed, has anyone had problems flipping blades every other time? I generally lose count how many times I reuse my blades, but I wonder if using both sides with the blade bending opposite sides of the blade whether it would compromise the blade at some point before it dulled out?

After shaving, I rinse the razor, and remove the blade on a towel for safety. I rinse the blade, lay it on the towel and fold the edge over to dry the blade. I place the blade in a blade dryer I purchased on etsy. I dry the razor, re-assemble and put away.
I typically bin the blade after 2 shaves. All of my razors are in new condition, since I use this procedure. My razors stay clean and dry with no residue build-up.

The steel is tempered and can withstand much flexing during it life. Most blades are discarded well before they are likely to fail in bending.
Good to know as I’m probably one of the few people that try to get 50-100 uses per blade with my favorites like Lab Blues, Nacets and GSB

I never loosen mine. I see no need in doing so. The instructions that came with the razor say zero about this. This is another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing at Henson. I'd say it is not necessary. I've never had an issue and where I live, in this salty, equatorial, jungle type environment, if there was a problem, it would have showed up by now. I simply rinse my razor and then set it down so the end of the cap is resting on the sink so water can drain as it dries. After a while, I put it back in its holder. Simple.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Guys, I can finally speak in this thread with experience. This is because my new Henson AL13 Medium in Steel Blue came in the mail today, which worked out perfect, because today was shave day. At no point during the shave, did I loosen the handle. I do all my shaves with a sink basin half full of water. And all I was doing after a couple passes, is swishing the the head of the razor in the water, and that got the lather and cut whiskers out of it just fine, had no issue with that.

I agree with Doc Dan, nowhere in the instruction card that is provided, did Henson say anything about needing to loosen the handle, in order to rinse out the razor. Now, what I do actually do, more often then Henson recommends, is after every shave, I always take apart a razor, remove the blade, and set all items on a paper towel to dry for hours, before reassembling. This is for fighting back against things like, rusting, corrosion, tea staining, whatever you wanna call it.

I believe in taking care of my razors, so this is just what I have always done. I have to say, my Henson AL13, is literally one of the easiest and quickest 3-piece razors to take apart. Part of this is contributed to its amazing precision design, but also due to the fact its so light weight. And I wipe the razor parts down after every shave, not 5 to 7 shaves like they recommend.

Ohhhhh, one more thing, pay attention to that bit on the card, where they say to not smack the razor into the sink, good reason for that. Aluminum is a soft metal, you can easily put dings in it, or you could literally and quite possibly, break your razor entire, if you are hitting it hard like a hammer. Swishing in a basin full of water is all you need.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you loosen the blade a little like mentioned you more than likely can rinse the blade loosely assembled with the handle like the Schick hydro- magic feature on the injectors and just give it a few buffs of air to blow out most of the water moisture and place it in the rack loosely assembled until next use .

Top Bottom