What's new

Care of Tabac milk glass bowl?

How do you care for the milk glass bowl that Tabac (and others) shaving soap comes in? Surely it isn't dishwasher safe? Or is it?

assuming normal use, i see no need to put these glass or ceramic shave bowls in the dishwasher.
just simply wash out and towel dry.
most critical factor in care of these, is not to drop them!

$tabac merkur razor brush april 24 2014s.jpg

Can you explain what you mean by care for it? Wouldn't you just drop in a puck and start using it? Or do you mean that you want to clean it before first use? If so, i'm sure you can just give it a quick wash with soapy water.

No, after using it a while, the soap tends to get -- uh -- "gooey" under the puck. I've cleaned it out with a paper towel, but it sometimes requires more force than I like to exert.

I wouldn't worry about it. just leave the soap in and forget about what builds under it. If it bothers you that much, however, then take the soap out and pour in some hot water to sit there for a while.

That bowl has a dome in the bottom where the soap rests on leaving a huge void underneath where moisture accumulates and forms a soapy soup like goo. That can't be good and I never understand why it's made this way instead of using just a flat bottom.

That bowl has a dome in the bottom where the soap rests on leaving a huge void underneath where moisture accumulates and forms a soapy soup like goo. That can't be good and I never understand why it's made this way instead of using just a flat bottom.

Dunno why that's not good, it is just soap. I bet the "goo" can be found in most any soap/bowl combo.

Why would you put this in a dishwasher? Just wash it by hand under hot water with or without a little dish detergent.
You can scrub it like you would a glass of wine or a porcelain dish.

No care or maintenance is needed.

If you're worried about soap scum accumulating on the outside, just rinse it off after use and set it up aside to dry. You can wipe it with a towel but that's not really necessary, it will dry on its own.

That gloop that forms under the puck is still usable soap, and its best use is to glue the new puck down, although with the three ribs that are on the inside bottom of the bowl, its not necessary. Just puck the new puck down until it seats itself into place. Add water until the puck is covered. Let it sit for a day or two, then pour off any standing water when you're ready to load your brush.

Does anyone know how to glue together the brown plastic top of a Tabac bowl? Or does anybody have a spare one they'd like to donate to my den? Mine has a crack that runs halfway through it, but it has not gotten any worse in the 3 or 4 years since the crack appeared.

We have a tendency to overthink everything at B&B. At the end of the day, it's just soap. A quick rinse with Dawn should be plenty if it bothers you!

Why would you put this in a dishwasher? Just wash it by hand under hot water with or without a little dish detergent.
You can scrub it like you would a glass of wine or a porcelain dish.

Over time the dishwasher will wear away the writing.
If you feel the need to wash it, just do it by hand.

Top Bottom