What's new

cardboard

I recently went into a leather craftsman shop to ask if me made any strops. He didn't -- but he did use all kinds of ultra-sharp knives for his leather work all the time. And, by extension, he also stropped all his knives very frequently. And he showed me how all he used was a wooden board, with a thin piece of cardboard glued on to it (not smooth, but `fuzzy' side up). I have actually heard to people using card board before, but now I am thinking of changing to use that method on a more regular basis.
My question is, do anyone here have good experiences with card board strops, and any particular recommendations..?

Back in my student days I used newspaper strops a lot. You can get a good edge from newspaper. I guess it is the same principle with cardboard. I am sure someone told me to use newspaper because of the ink in the newsprint - my uncle probably who worked as a printsetter for one of the big nationals.

Interesting that the guy you spoke to uses the rough side. I wonder about experimenting with different paper surfaces. Worth researching. Would a cotton rag paper would be more effective than a wood pulp? Presumable the fibres would work like a cotton strop.

Cardboard or newspaper works great for stropping knives. I think newspaper is a better choice for razors. A very firm, thin piece of cardboard might work. But most cardboard is too rough and too soft. I think you would tear up the edge from abrasion at the micro level while simultaneously rounding the apex from the compression. Newspaper works great because you can use a layer or two and wrap it taut around something firm. This will help keep your apex crisp. The ink from the newspaper also acts like a polish. The particles in the paper are much finer than the particles in cardboard.

i could be wrong but im assuming that an ultra sharp knife for leather working is not the same edge as an ultra sharp razor used for a smooth shave. maybe it is. however to be 100 % sure you must strop a razor on cardboard/newspaper and leather, side by side, and do various tests.

I used a cardboard strop when I first started. My impression was that it was contaminated with some large abrasive particles that might be OK for knives, but tore up razor edges.

Keep in mind this was a sample size of one, by a newbie with little razor experience at the time.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well, the big question is, if leather works great, why mess with something that probably doesn't work as good?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I wonder if chipboard would work. Might be good for pasting too.
Well, the big question is, if balsa works great, why mess with something that probably doesn't work as good?

Ah. Because of scientific curiousity. Right. So, how about a scientific test? Take two razors and put or have someone put a method edge on one. Then do the other one on chip board. Give them both the standard sharpness tests and then the shave test. Share your results. My money won't be on the chipboard, no.

Just thinking out loud before. I'm actually not the biggest fan of balsa with razors as it reacts to humidity changes and needs relief by way of scoring to counteract this. Chipboard might be more stable in this regard.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just thinking out loud before. I'm actually not the biggest fan of balsa with razors as it reacts to humidity changes and needs relief by way of scoring to counteract this. Chipboard might be more stable in this regard.

If you use 1/4" thick balsa and glue it to a non-warping base such as 3/4" thick acrylic, warping is well contained.

Top Bottom