What's new

Carbon Steel Skillets... do you love it more than Cast Iron?

I now have an induction stove. Since they were all non-magnetic, I got rid of all my other pans except for one sauce pan (magnetic) and the glass pan I make shepherd's pie in the oven in (but it won't work on the new stove).
I bought one Lodge cast iron 10.5" griddle pan and now I'm trying to decide on a new Lodge flat griddle or a carbon steel or a stainless steel pan.
I cook a lot of salmon fillet since that's SWMBO's favorite meal and, while the Lodge is okay and makes nice grill marks, I tend to destroy the integrity of the fillet when cooking.
Lodge has a carbon steel made in the USA.
Made In has a stainless steel pan made in the USA and a carbon steel made in France.
The most $$ i can justify to myself is about $50 and I'd go to $100 but not without severe pain.
Any suggestions?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I now have an induction stove. Since they were all non-magnetic, I got rid of all my other pans except for one sauce pan (magnetic) and the glass pan I make shepherd's pie in the oven in (but it won't work on the new stove).
I bought one Lodge cast iron 10.5" griddle pan and now I'm trying to decide on a new Lodge flat griddle or a carbon steel or a stainless steel pan.
I cook a lot of salmon fillet since that's SWMBO's favorite meal and, while the Lodge is okay and makes nice grill marks, I tend to destroy the integrity of the fillet when cooking.
Made In has a stainless steel pan made in the USA and a carbon steel made in France.
The most $$ i can justify to myself is about $50 and I'd go to $100 but not without severe pain.
Any suggestions?

I use a non-stick skillet for fish.

My glass stove top came with the house 20 years back. Maytag ceran top. I've been hoping the thing would die as I'd like to try induction. Cupboards are too close to do gas safely.

The stove top cleans up nice. It really does not look new . . . should I worry? The stove top is there to serve me. I'd rather be remembered for providing nice meals in a comfortable environment than entertaining in a place so perfect it is uncomfortable. Look. . . . tons of middle ground there.

Try not to yell at me without a trigger warning or making certain I'm close to a safe room.

Mine does not look pretty at all. Scratches and burnt on carbon that I cannot get off. It is a Maytag, and the realtor who told us to buy it also told us she would have my father-in-law's business sold above asking within a year. Its been 10 years, but we dumped her as soon as the contract ended. Still have both the stove and the business, but I digress. Anyway, I agree that it is a tool and I use it as such. We live in the middle of nowhere with the nearest repair place 5+ hours away, and they would have to order the top since it is "old"; I checked. If the stovetop breaks we are SOL until either it gets repaired or we go to the big city and get another better, make the cook happier stove. With my luck I would break it, so I avoid that by using the carbon pans.

As for which carbon pans? I've been very happy with my Matfers. Once seasoned very little issue unless SWMBO whips out with the dish detergent and scrubs the black stuff off so it looks "clean". It needed reseasoning anyway.

Any suggestions?

The Lodge carbon steel is men, IMO.

I have one of those dreaded glass top stoves... I don't really like it so I am building a new house that will have a gas stove... but back on topic :001_huh:

I have a matfer pan (and some BluSkillets) that I use quite a bit. I also have a variety of cast iron that is also used regularly. If it goes in the oven or I need to get stupid hot for a sear I tend to grab the CI. If completely stovetop and want to do more stir fry or adjust temps I tend to grab the steel. The other factor is size (how much am I trying to cook). Soups/chili/etc seem to end up in the enameled CI (lodge) or in the slow cooker or instant pot (if I forgot to start cooking early enough).

Ruckin.

I prefer French carbon steel pans when I saute, sear, braise etc. Unlike cast iron they heat up evenly and respond quickly to temperature changes. I've had mine so long I don't remember the brand, they just say "made in France" on the handles. Like ruckin above I use cast iron for tasks that I would prefer not to subject my carbon, copper or nonstick pans to. Cooking outdoors over a wood fire comes to mind as well as high temps indoors. I find the non stick useful for fish and a few other jobs that would otherwise have a good chance of failing in a conventional pan. I have to replace the non stick every couple of years. My other pans could well last forever, or at least a couple of lifetimes. My favorite pan is a Mauviel copper straight sided saute pan that my brother gave me, wife hates it because it weighs a ton. I use enameled cast iron as well--I have 3 different European brands and the Le Creuset dutch ovens do seem to perform noticeably better than the others.

Top Bottom