What's new

Carbon Steel frying pans

Was taking with the folks at BluSkillet today and was told that their pans start off with blue color because at the end of the process they put them in a 650F oven. I can't remember exactly how it was supposed to help.. but that beautiful blue will be gone as soon as I put the pan on the stove and start cooking something.

Was taking with the folks at BluSkillet today and was told that their pans start off with blue color because at the end of the process they put them in a 650F oven. I can't remember exactly how it was supposed to help.. but that beautiful blue will be gone as soon as I put the pan on the stove and start cooking something.

Yeah, I’ve seen the BluSkillet, and it does look great new, but I agree you’d have to keep stripping it down to bare every time you use it if you want to keep it blue, which kinda defeats the purpose. Plus how durable is the blue to being scoured?

The bottom of my DeBuyer has turned blue over time. That’s good enough for me.

C19376DB-965B-45A9-B233-CA01302CEB6E.jpeg

Current seasoning is pretty good. Makes a great 6 egg omelette (that I split with my wife.) I think I was just cleaning too vigorously before. And not cooking enough french fries.

Yeah, I’ve seen the BluSkillet, and it does look great new, but I agree you’d have to keep stripping it down to bare every time you use it if you want to keep it blue, which kinda defeats the purpose. Plus how durable is the blue to being scoured?

The bottom of my DeBuyer has turned blue over time. That’s good enough for me.
I don't know about scouring the BS pans as I generally clean them with a spatula (or sometimes one of those lodge plastic scrapers) and a paper towel. The pans start off blue but as they get used they get darker and will eventually be mostly black on the inside just like any other carbon steel pan. I am didn't ask but since the blue shade is just an oxide layer on the surface of the pan I suspect is it very thin and would go away if you used anything abrasive.

If I was to be honest with myself my Mafter pan cooks just as well as the more expensive BluSkillet. But I prefer the feel (and look) of the handle on the BluSkillet. Also I can flip an egg over easy in the BluSkillet but I have not been able to make that work in my Mafter. Not sure if it is due to size/weight of the pan or the angle and transition of the side wall.

Top Bottom