What's new

Carbon Forest of Treets: A deep dive into carbon steel double-edge blades

Treet Silver
Blade One, Shave Three
June 10, 2022

Razor: NEW short comb
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Leviathan splash

silver3.jpg

We're entering the danger zone for Treets, by many people's accounts. It's also significant for me in that I'll only buy blades that give me at least three good shaves.

I won't leave you hanging -- it was a good enough shave to meet that mark. More than two hours later, it's soft and baby smooth everywhere except jawline is DFS (can feel stubble one direction). I had my mask on at a doctor's appointment for most of that time, which tends to moisturize and make my face feel soft, but also can irritate it.

The shave started well enough except for the odd cut I got on my first pass, WTG. Would write it off as a fluke, but this blade has produced some cuts on early passes, in no discernible pattern. The blade was still sharp enough, and I didn't do more than a tiny diagonal pass before my third, against-the-grain pass, but the sharpness and smoothness have both declined.

I got some cuts against the grain, mostly mustache, and all closed right away except one. I didn't need the styptic this time but had to dab it awhile as I got ready before it closed. Now, I know some draw the line at blood, or feel its appearance indicates poor technique. Make of it what you will, but I generally do chase BBS and would rather have a few dots of blood than a few patches of stubble.

The shave is wearing pretty well. There was some irritation and I feel a little still in my "handelbar" area. My face feels now like I got a better shave than I felt I had gotten immediately afterward.

It feels like the blade is done, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't give it another shave just to see what it's got left in it. I have a feeling it will be pretty bad, but I might just go there. For science.

Treet Silver
Blade One, Shave Four (“for science”)
June 12, 2022

We’ve come to the end of the first blade in the trial, and it was … pretty good? This first blade sets the baseline for those to come, so probably best that I don’t have super strong emotions tied to it.

The fourth shave, the one I didn’t think the Silver had left in it, was better than expected until the third, against-the-grain, pass. There, it was a negotiation: get close, with some weepers, or back off. I perhaps backed off a little but also just let myself get the weepers.

Stypic pencil took care of everything, but there’s some irritation later as I work in the yard and sweat. Still an easy DFS+, but not a shave I would have taken if not for the sake of future comparisons.

That said, what blade should I try next? Let me know if you’re curious about any (you can see what I have in the first photo of this thread, plus a tuck of Tigers the cat is sitting on); otherwise I’ll just grab one.

The Carbon Durasharps arrived today. They provide the same close & smooth shave as the Classics and Black Beauties. The real test is to see if the Durasharps give better 2nd or 3rd shaves. Otherwise, they all cost the same at the Razorblades Club and the only preference would be by wrapper color (or a thicker & stiffer Black Beauty blade).

Treet Super Power
Blade One, Shave One
June 14, 2022

power1.jpg

What's your superpower? Flight? Super strength? Telepathy? Shaving without cuts? I had none of those with the new Super Power blade today.

First impressions: The inner newsprint blade wrapper was folded so it stuck out of the outer printed wrapper. Not a problem, but curious. The blade was floating freely, which made me think there was no wax. On closer inspection, however, I could see four wax dots. They just didn't seem to do anything. I don't care about wax either way.
power2.jpg

On to the shave! From the first strokes, this blade felt less smooth, more scratchy than the Silver (or carbon Dura Sharp). When I hit denser hair on my first pass that wasn't truly with the grain, the blade skipped, so it feels less sharp. It wasn't very efficient in that I could have picked up more stubble with another with-the-grain pass.

I go into these experiments knowing little about the blades, but I'd guess this blade is not coated with anything. It feels rough. I got a cut with the grain and a couple more across the grain. After two passes, I wasn't convinced this blade could handle the mustache area, so I did a diagonal XTG/ATG modified pass.

Against the grain, there was a lot of blood. Not by volume, but by number of cuts. Everywhere I spent some time, especially the mustache and the chin, had some tiny red dots. And unfortunately, I had to spend a lot of time. The upside is that they all healed almost immediately; two needed some dabbing but none required styptic. Aftershave provided a little burn that faded into comfort.

Post shave, I'm DFS+, with just sideburn/jaw corners not BBS. Much closer than I expected, as I stopped the shave earlier than I wanted because of the cuts. Also little irritation at this point, less than I expected. I suspect this won't be as long-lasting as other shaves, but that's just a hunch.

That's disappointing, I was hoping the blade with by far the coolest name would be one of the better shavers.
I know, right? I think this is a fairly new offering, so it stands to reason that they'd improve quality on average by discontinuing worse blades and introducing better, but this first experience isn't positive.

Off-day post to note the return of stubble: I had significant stubble after applying face lotion after my shower today, 24 hours after my last shave. Enough hairs had erupted to make me not socially acceptable at 8 or 9 a.m. The best shaves might leave me socially acceptable through my morning meetings until 11 a.m. or noon, but not much longer.

I note this to say I won't note this much in the future. There are degrees of BBS, of course. I can push the skin out to cut a hair below the skin, buying myself some extra time before it grows out. Much of my face "heals" after a shave, with skin closing over shaved hairs that will then have to reemerge. If I do this too much, or in the wrong area, this will cause irritation as the hairs fight their way out. Other areas (under the lip, for example) form bumps before the hair emerges but generally no irritation or redness.

So it's a negotiation. I don't agree that all BBS shaves grow out in exactly the same time, as I explain in the previous paragraph. But I'm getting closer to the @luvmysuper view in that I don't think it matters that much. I may only gain three hours from a shave that focuses on cutting below the (resting) skin compared to a skin-level BBS. Usually, it's is not worth the extra effort and potential irritation to appear socially acceptable for 27 hours for 24 hours.

Treet Super Power
Blade One, Shave Two
June 16, 2022

Giving the Super Power another chance. One positive sign: the sides of the razor are labeled A and B, like a record, which indicates that they felt this blade could be used multiple times. The Treet Silver had no markings.
power3.jpg

So maybe, to carry the record analogy, the single was a dud but the B-side will be a banger?

No, it turns out.

This blade had clearly deteriorated, despite its moisture-controlled storage casket, and tugged through the shave. I went carefully and had to use short strokes to pick up the stubble. In the end, I negotiated a DFS and with fewer cuts than the first shave, but it took far too long. I had to hit the mustache with so many different passes and cleanup strokes to get it DFS.

Bottom line: this blade is done in this razor. I'm guessing it will deteriorate further but my dedication to science prevents me from making a decision based on that. What clinches the decision is that I wouldn't repeat this current shave.

Two blades into this trial, evidence suggests that not all Treet carbon blades are the same. Treet Silver outperformed Treet Super Power in longevity and efficiency.

Off-day funny: I love how the Treet wrappers all make bold claims for themselves such as “for silky shaves,” “affordable luxury,” “smart shave…always!”
2C0335D6-9301-4FC3-BD2D-BAA32CD65817.jpeg

and then you get to the Black Beauties and they’re just like “FOR YOUR FACE” like you’re a caveman or something.

I believe the "black beauties" should say on the top "A Treet," then the above on the bottom. That's their slogan. It's really old fashioned cigarette and candy bar marketing, meant for a time when things were commonly stocked at the corner store. The funny anecdote I heard was that over 90% of Treet blades are for export, I always wonder where they are exported to. I like to think about consumption patterns of people's day to day lives in other places for some reason. I understand that people only buy blades one pack at a time for instance, a strange idea.

Before my next shave, a misperception to clear up. I had been working under the assumption that the blue Dura Sharps were stainless because, unlike the yellow Dura Sharps, they don’t say “carbon steel” on the wrapper. @Lazarus Long challenged that assumption in this thread by @malocchio :

I don't think the blue Dura Sharp is stainless. I've compared them to Treet Classic and Falcon (known to be carbon steel) and the Platinum (stainless). They have the same slightly yellowish tint as the Classic and Falcon, have a stronger attraction to a magnet than the Platinum, and do rust. They may have a coating though - it resists rusting longer than the Classic/Falcon, but does eventually.

I think he’s right. Razorbladesclub lists the blues as Teflon coated, so it seems to be Teflon coated carbon steel. If anyone has other insight, I’d love to hear it!

Treet Dura Sharp blue
Blade one, Shave one
June 18, 2022

Razor: Gillette NEW short comb
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria absinthe

182D64B5-8C34-4690-9AD5-C13C932BE743.jpeg

New blade today, and it’s smoother right out of the gate than the Super Power. Doesn’t skip in the dense hairs but pulls a little. By memory, feels like the yellow Dura Sharp but less sharp.

Still, second pass is efficient, picking up everything a second pass should. The shave has gone well enough that I don’t need a diagonal pass before going against the grain, but I do one on mustache sides anyway to have it go easier.

I get some weepers, mostly in mustache, and all close quickly. I’m still looking for Treets that don’t draw blood, but it seldom ruins the experience.

Cleanup seems to take a long time, as I’m still feeling stubble all over but especially jawline. I get the feeling I’m burning out the blade, but this is what I do. Some irritation from all the cleanup but it’s a good shave, DFS+ when it dries.

Some aftershave burn with a different aftershave; I got kicked out of the bathroom and couldn’t get to the usual one.

Not sure what to make of this shave yet, but it’s one more data point.
DFB3C5D6-440A-4164-8C6D-90B691EA81EF.jpeg

Treet Dura Sharp blue
Blade one, Shave two
June 20, 2022

Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Leviathan

This shave wasn’t great. Started smooth but got a surprise weeper on the first pass. It’s too soon to say that’s a Treet thing yet, but it seems to be happening more with these blades than others.

First pass missed a bit but second pass picked it up and I felt like I was in OK shape. I did the diagonal XTG/ATG pass on the upper cheeks and mustache to prepare for a true ATG but still got weepers. I got them elsewhere too and needed a stypic pencil afterward.

It’s not the worst shave, and I’m thinking of giving the blade another but we’ll see. I’ve been sweating a little outside after the shave and it’s irritated me again, with some weepers re-emerging. It’s a DFS or probably DFS+ regardless, but not living up to expectations.

Note here the wax dots on the B side. Not sure what they’re for, as every Treet I’ve used has floated free in the inner newsprint wrapper.

978DE8B1-39AE-48EF-BAE6-77598AE43D4F.jpeg

Treet Dura Sharp blue
Blade one, Shave two
June 20, 2022

This shave wasn’t great. Started smooth but got a surprise weeper on the first pass. It’s too soon to say that’s a Treet thing yet, but it seems to be happening more with these blades than others.

First pass missed a bit but second pass picked it up and I felt like I was in OK shape. I did the diagonal XTG/ATG pass on the upper cheeks and mustache to prepare for a true ATG but still got weepers. I got them elsewhere too and needed a stypic pencil afterward.

It’s not the worst shave, and I’m thinking of giving the blade another but we’ll see. I’ve been sweating a little outside after the shave and it’s irritated me again, with some weepers re-emerging. It’s a DFS or probably DFS+ regardless, but not living up to expectations.

Note here the wax dots on the B side. Not sure what they’re for, as every Treet I’ve used has floated free in the inner newsprint wrapper.

View attachment 1475264
Off day update: I’m moving on from this blade. It just struggled too much and cut me too much to do this again. If it’s a fluke or a bad blade, it will have chances to redeem itself in another razor as this trial continues.

I wonder what I’ll pick next!

Treet “black beauty
Blade one, Shave one
June 22, 2022

089CA9B0-1BDD-44A2-9A97-53181EF80F52.jpeg

First experience with the famous black beauties, and they are certainly beautiful. They’re not as black as I thought, though, kind of a deep swirly sheen.
5E2BA015-B4F9-4726-973B-8BE06992D2C2.jpeg

The shave was OK. I’ve heard these really tug, and it’s true it wasn’t particularly sharp, but was sharp enough. I stretched my skin and plowed ahead.

First two passes went fine. I thought I would break the Treet streak of cutting myself on early passes but I got one weeper on my neck. Went for an ATG pass without an extra diagonal pass, and it went pretty well, no cuts in the mustache. I was babying it a little though, and could have gone a little closer.

Neck was a different story, with some weepers and irritation. I backed off from cleanup with a mind to save my face and the blade.

I find myself wanting to like this blade, but I don’t give sympathy points, so we’ll see if the next shave goes better.

That's hilarious that the box is missing the first part! Even funnier is the comments about the neck, my condolences though. I start my shaves on my neck, so that would have set the tone for the rest of the shave "nicely." ;)

Top Bottom