What's new

Carbon Forest of Treets: A deep dive into carbon steel double-edge blades

Into the Carbon Forest of Treets - Treet Falcon - Shave #2

TL;DR:
same setup, but messed up the lather, not as glide-y as yesterday, still achieved a DFS+ shave

Treet_Falcon_1.jpeg

(Yes to all the keen observers, it's the same picture as yesterday, since the setup was the same)

Equipment: SCS Mod A Razor, Treat Falcon(2), Tiki's The Kilted Tiki shave soap

The Shave: I overwatered the soap and thinner lather than yesterday; however, I'm NOT wasting Tiki soap so I used the slightly thinner lather. The SCS Mod A razor and the Treet Falcon blade did their job well, howbeit with a bit of roughness due to my earlier mentioned faux-pas. The resulting shave was very close, DFS+, with no irritation, and a small weeper.

Longevity: the Treet Falcon has at least 1 more shave left in it. After reading several reviews, I know I'm entering a dark and scary section of the forest. Please ignore any screams or howls you may hear tomorrow morning.

15 Sep 2022: 9.5 DFS+ The Treet Classic, with my Van der Hagen yielded a fantastically close shave this morning using Noble Otter Lonestar and my Gray Dog brush. The only blood today was from the razor’s close shave taking off scabs from yesterday’s “bloody awful shave”. I am wondering if a heavy razor like my WCS 84S isn’t the best to use with this blade. Tomorrow, I will use rotate to my King C. Gillette razor.

Treet Super Power
Blade one, Shave one
Sept. 15, 2022

IMG_9559.jpg

Razor: Gillette Old Type
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Leviathan

The Super Power gave a decent shave in the Old Type. The blade makes the razor seem extremely mild. There's some resistance, but I can give a little pressure and push through it without it either pulling too much or cutting me.

Still difficulty getting the mustache close, as with other blades in this razor. There, I did get a couple fleeting weepers and called off the attack at a respectable DFS+. I've been doing four full passes plus cleanup with skin stretching that amounts to a fifth pass of the mustache. I could work at it and get it closer, with several more weepers and irritation that lasts well into the day, but I don't because that doesn't sound like fun.

I really decided to go to town on my left jawline to get it BBS, but I still couldn't quite get it. This razor, in these pairings, frustrates me in not being able to go quite as close as I'd like. I come out of it with good shaves that are still socially acceptable until about 24 hours later, but a truly great shave will get me 28 or 30 hours, enough to limp into the afternoon of the second day.

In short, good shave, not much irritation, no lingering weepers. Easily earns a second shave.

Into the Carbon Forest of Treets - Treet Falcon - Shave #3

TL;DR:
same setup, much better lather, DFS+ shave, keeping this going

Treet_Falcon_1.jpeg

(Heh heh, yup, same setup, same pic)

Equipment: SCS Mod A Razor, Treat Falcon(3), Tiki's The Kilted Tiki shave soap

The Shave: I'm liking this setup and getting very good results. Took my time making lather and was rewarded with thick and slick lather. The results from these 3 shaves have been consistently DFS+.

Longevity: Noticed during this shave that the Treet Falcon was hinting that it had peaked and was possible beginning its downward slide. No pulling or harshness, just a little stubble left behind that was quickly cleaned up. I'm going for a fourth shave with this setup tomorrow.

16 Sep 2022: 9.0 CCS A worn-out Treet Classic yielded an acceptable shave this morning. Despite a thick, slick lather from Noble Otter Lonestar, the blade tugged and drug during the WTG and XTG passes. I had to do lots of buffing. On to another Treet blade tomorrow. I used my Omega--11126 brush today versus the Gray Dog. Tomorrow I will begin using the Treet Dura Sharp blade with My WCS 84S razor.

Into the Carbon Forest of Treets - Treet Falcon - Shave #4

TL;DR:
same setup, similar results, going out on top...

Treet_Falcon_1.jpeg

Equipment: SCS Mod A Razor, Treat Falcon(4), Tiki's The Kilted Tiki shave soap

The Shave: Like the first 3 shaves, shave 4 yielded a very close, mostly comfortable shave. I did end up with 2 weepers and a little bit more clean up, still it was nearly a DFS+.

Longevity: @APBinNCA was able to get 6 shaves from a Treet Falcon while @slimshavy coaxed his for 3 shaves. After 4 top notch shaves, I'm retiring this blade. The Falcon does feel like it has a shave or two left, but I'm a bit nervous pushing this past 4 shaves. Going out on top!

For Today: 9.5 DFS+ No major stubble, original nicks or weepers this morning using the Treet Dura Sharp Blade, with my WCS 84S razor, Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent, Onega—11126 brush. This blade shaved so closely that it took off scabs from previous issues. Tomorrow I will rotate this blade to my Van der Hagen razor.

Treet Super Power
Blade one, Shave two
Sept. 17, 2022

My two-day beard felt like a week’s growth, but the Super Power mostly knocked it down on the first pass. This blade-razor pairing has a couple trouble spots: the mustache sides, where it’s likely to catch and cause weepers, and the bottom of the chin, where it can leave hairs uncut.

I shifted my attention to the jawline and did get it closer than usual. The spot that would be the outer edge of a goatee, right as it crosses the jawbone, is a tough one. The skin itself is rough like stubble, so it’s really hard to get it smooth.

Pretty good results from the shave; no lingering weepers but some lingering irritation. Blade wasn’t super enjoyable to begin with and has fallen some. I think it’s done here.

Into the Carbon Forest of Treets - New Edge - Shave #1

TL;DR:
Good combo, nice shave, 2 weepers; hmmm, this razor just might...

Treet_NewEdge_bw.jpeg

Equipment: SCS Mod A Razor, Treat New Edge (1), Tiki's The Kilted Tiki shave soap

The Shave: Hmmm, this razor may be mitigating the complaints some have with these blades. Although not the smoothest of shaves, there was no pulling of my whiskers either. The SCS Mod A and Treet New Edge gave my 2-day growth a DFS+ shave. 2 weepers did appear (one under my chin and the other in my mustache area). No skin irritation or discomfort with this blade.

The Set Up: I decided to follow @slimshavy's lead and keep the setup the same, so that the only difference, shave after shave, would be the Treet Carbon Blades themselves. However, at this point, I'm thinking the SCS Mod A Razor may be helping these Blades achieve "above their class" results. My face sides with the science and respectfully encourages me to continue to use this Set Up.

Treet SP Blade #1 Shave #6
Tools: Lupo razor & PdP soap
The Treet SP blade was rough going this A.M. so I only did two passes plus touchup.
Time to Bin this blade but in reality it did a good job overall. :thumbup1:

Into the Carbon Forest of Treets - New Edge - Shave #2

TL;DR:
Same setup, coxed a 2nd shave from blade, but it struggled ATG, still DFS though

Treet_NewEdge_bw.jpeg

Equipment: SCS Mod A Razor, Treat New Edge (2), Tiki's The Kilted Tiki shave soap

The Shave: So, for the most part, it was a good shave and the results were DFS; however, the Treet New Edge began to struggle on the ATG pass. The Kilted Tiki lather provided a great foundation to work from, and the mystical SCS Mod A razor did its best to coax a 2nd shave from the Treet New Edge. There were NO weepers, which is a great bonus!!

Longevity: The Treet New Edge gave me 2 very good shaves but will be binned after struggling to finish shave #2.

Into the Carbon Forest of Treets - New Edge - Shave #1

TL;DR:
Good combo, nice shave, 2 weepers; hmmm, this razor just might...

View attachment 1524556

Equipment: SCS Mod A Razor, Treat New Edge (1), Tiki's The Kilted Tiki shave soap

The Shave: Hmmm, this razor may be mitigating the complaints some have with these blades. Although not the smoothest of shaves, there was no pulling of my whiskers either. The SCS Mod A and Treet New Edge gave my 2-day growth a DFS+ shave. 2 weepers did appear (one under my chin and the other in my mustache area). No skin irritation or discomfort with this blade.

The Set Up: I decided to follow @slimshavy's lead and keep the setup the same, so that the only difference, shave after shave, would be the Treet Carbon Blades themselves. However, at this point, I'm thinking the SCS Mod A Razor may be helping these Blades achieve "above their class" results. My face sides with the science and respectfully encourages me to continue to use this Set Up.
Science appreciates your dedication!

Treet Dura Sharp
Blade one, Shave one
Sept. 19, 2022

150C9E58-1C04-421B-9ACE-4275F5414AB5.jpeg

Sometimes the Treets start feeling alike from one to the next, so it’s good to get one that feels different. The Dura Sharp felt smoother and sharper from the first stroke. It breezed through the first pass, with the grain.

Second pass was more of the same, but I found a small weeper. I skipped the modified XTG/ATG pass on the cheeks, reasoning that the blade was sharp enough to jump straight to ATG. I did the modified pass in the mustache.

Then, against the grain, I started getting cuts. Weepers, I suppose we call them, but plenty of them. In little blooms of dots on both sides of my mustache plus scattered dots elsewhere. Surprising.

I could chalk it up to sharpness but, then, it didn’t exactly make short work of my jawline stubble trouble spots. Perhaps it got closer than I’ve been getting recently with the Old Type, but not by much.

Fortunately, the weepers were fleeting and none outlasted the final rinse. Strangely, I didn’t have much irritation during the day. Just a weird shave, I guess.

Into the Carbon Forest of Treets - Classic - Shave #1

TL;DR:
Affordable luxury, a close shave, and only slight skin irritation...

Tree_Classic_1.jpeg

Equipment: SCS Mod A Razor, Treat Classic (1), Tiki's Kilted Tiki soap

The Shave: first shave with the Treet Classic, mostly smooth, decent sharpness, resulting in a very close, DFS+ shave, but I noticed some skin irritation after the final rinse. I think I finally have Tiki's Kilted Tiki dialed in, and the SCS Mod A razor pairs well with each Treet Blade that I've tried so far.

Longevity: So far, the Treet Falcon lasted for 4 shaves, while the Treet New Edge was good for 2 shaves. I really can't tell, from the first shave, how long the Treet Classic will last but I'm hoping for at least 3 shaves.

The Blade's Motto: Affordable Luxury. I love mottos and the imagery that they try to present. Classics are quite affordable, about 7 cents a blade, and, when divided by the number of shaves, can be very economical. In the right razor, they can deliver a couple of very good shaves. In the wrong razor, you have an affordable instant Halloween Classic!

Leftover Treet New Edge Observation: when I changed out the New Edge blade for the Classic, I noticed some survace rusting (or what appeared to be discoloration headed toward rust). I did not see this with the Falcon after 4 shaves. Hmmm.

Top Bottom