What's new

Carbon Forest of Treets: A deep dive into carbon steel double-edge blades

You inspired me to get out my Treet blades (carbon steel). I havent used one in a long while. The do give me a great shave. I just get frustrated with having to take them out after each use.
So many people complain about the simple task of removimng a blade after each use. It only takes an ever so brief moment, and it also prevents the next generation to use your razor from complaining about the rust on an otherwise fine razor because someone was too lazy to remoive a blade. For me it's just part of thre daily shave and clean-up afterward.

You inspired me to get out my Treet blades (carbon steel). I havent used one in a long while. The do give me a great shave. I just get frustrated with having to take them out after each use.
Great to hear! I know others leave the blades in and just rinse and blow out as much water as they can. I'm more particular about it in part because I'm shaving every other day. If you shave every day, you might get more out of a blade than me, even if you don't thoroughly dry it.

Treet Silver
Blade Two, Shave One
Aug. 8, 2022

Hi-yo Silver! The Treet Ranger rides again!

Razor: Gillette Slim, set at 8
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Leviathan

The experiment gets its first do-over as I try a second Treet Silver in the Slim to see if the previous blade was a dud. The result is a better shave, but not a great shave. In short, I don't think the last blade was an anomaly; this Slim-Silver pairing just hasn't performed as well as the NEW-Silver pairing for me.

The shave was pretty similar to the last, although I paid more attention to proceeding cautiously, which can't help but influence the result. It was smoother on the first pass but still hit some nicks on the second. I needed four passes and had a hard time in the mustache. I didn't get the neck that close.

Fewer dots of blood but still a good number. A couple persisted past the rinse but went away with dabbing soon after. Some irritation but mostly in the spots the shave was closest (as one would hope, I suppose).

Good enough to get to a second shave and hope I've tamed Silver. The second shave was better than the first in the NEW, so there's some hope even given the different performances of the two razors.

Treet Silver
Blade Two, Shave One
Aug. 8, 2022

Hi-yo Silver! The Treet Ranger rides again!

Razor: Gillette Slim, set at 8
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Leviathan

The experiment gets its first do-over as I try a second Treet Silver in the Slim to see if the previous blade was a dud. The result is a better shave, but not a great shave. In short, I don't think the last blade was an anomaly; this Slim-Silver pairing just hasn't performed as well as the NEW-Silver pairing for me.

The shave was pretty similar to the last, although I paid more attention to proceeding cautiously, which can't help but influence the result. It was smoother on the first pass but still hit some nicks on the second. I needed four passes and had a hard time in the mustache. I didn't get the neck that close.

Fewer dots of blood but still a good number. A couple persisted past the rinse but went away with dabbing soon after. Some irritation but mostly in the spots the shave was closest (as one would hope, I suppose).

Good enough to get to a second shave and hope I've tamed Silver. The second shave was better than the first in the NEW, so there's some hope even given the different performances of the two razors.

I've been following this thread, mainly because I think that Treet is one of the better brands out there but have only tried a handful of the different blades, I'm interested in how they compare.

But I have to ask - how much blood do you draw with a typical favorite blade? From the saga, it appears that you rarely escape a shave without losing some. I get a weeper (usually a single) once a month or so. The culprit is usually a Personna Platinum Chrome I tried to get one more shave out of. I don't think I've drawn a drop with any of the Treet blades I've used. I can't remember drawing any with a Voskod either.

I normally use mild razors: a Merkur 38C and a Rockwell with the #2 plate. I used to use the #4 plate, but decided the #2 is good enough. I don't get as close a shave, but it is irritation-free. Well worth the tradeoff.

I've been following this thread, mainly because I think that Treet is one of the better brands out there but have only tried a handful of the different blades, I'm interested in how they compare.

But I have to ask - how much blood do you draw with a typical favorite blade? From the saga, it appears that you rarely escape a shave without losing some. I get a weeper (usually a single) once a month or so. The culprit is usually a Personna Platinum Chrome I tried to get one more shave out of. I don't think I've drawn a drop with any of the Treet blades I've used. I can't remember drawing any with a Voskod either.

I normally use mild razors: a Merkur 38C and a Rockwell with the #2 plate. I used to use the #4 plate, but decided the #2 is good enough. I don't get as close a shave, but it is irritation-free. Well worth the tradeoff.
This is a very good question, because this thread makes me sound like a masochist, or maybe just a clumsy shaver.

I don’t usually draw blood with a favorite blade. I looked at some of my older posts here and I wasn’t cutting myself with the vintage Schick Super Stainless, which is pretty sharp, or with the Silver Stars, which are pretty dull. I have a pretty tough beard and also chase BBS shaves, so there’s often a trade off there. I’ll keep going even if there’s risk of getting cut, as I don’t mind a few tiny cuts if it means a closer shave.

Some blades—Voskhod is a favorite—will let me make multiple passes in trouble areas and not cut me. Others, like Feathers, will cut more skin than hair if I push it.

I think blood would be exceedingly rare if I shaves every day. I’d back off where there’s resistance and be close enough for the work day. But I try to make each shave last two days (it’s starting to look like a fool’s errand).

To the Treets: to be blunt, these haven’t performed at a level I’d expect for blades I would buy. They’re unusual in that they tend to cut me before the against-the-grain pass. The cuts are unusually fleeting, though; they’re usually healed before the shave ends. Other blades cut me far less, but I’m more likely to get one that “weeps” after the shave is over.

The razor I’m currently using, the Slim, is my most unforgiving and temperamental razor. I’ll get more random cuts from the Slim than other razors. I have it open to 8, sure, but the same was true when I used to use a lower setting or adjust settings mid-shave.

I hope people don’t take from this that I think all Treet carbons are a bloodbath. My aim is that people will see how the different blades perform differently from each other and get some inkling of how they might work on their own faces. Of course I’d love to find a new favorite blade but even short of that I hope that others can use these trials to find a good blade and a good bargain.

Thanks for following and I’m glad to answer any questions!

So many people complain about the simple task of removimng a blade after each use. It only takes an ever so brief moment, and it also prevents the next generation to use your razor from complaining about the rust on an otherwise fine razor because someone was too lazy to remoive a blade. For me it's just part of thre daily shave and clean-up afterward.
My only objection to it is time. I always shave in the morning when I am getting ready for work. I am a single Dad of 3 kids and time is sometimes in short supply in the morning. I still do it but a stainless blade I just leave alone.

My only objection to it is time. I always shave in the morning when I am getting ready for work. I am a single Dad of 3 kids and time is sometimes in short supply in the morning. I still do it but a stainless blade I just leave alone.
I get this. Sometimes I wonder if the drying and storing routine is worthwhile. I'm committed to it for these trials, but once this is done I might test some blades for longevity when they're left in the razor versus removed and dried. I'd be surprised if drying even gained me a single extra shave on a blade.

Top Bottom