What's new

Carbon Fiber Razors ?

I’m throwing this out to the community for opinions. As you may know the Tour de France in ongoing as the world’s biggest bike race. Those of you who ride bikes know that the frames can be made from various materials including Aluminium, Steel, Titanium and Carbon. Each has benefits and drawbacks in the world of cycling.

In the world of DE Razors we have razors made out of these same materials as well as others (Brass, Bronze, Copper, 3D plastics etc). Are there any DE Razors made from Carbon Fiber ? Would it even be worthwhile ? What do people think of it ?

Certainly possible!

I prefer heavier razors so an ultra-light carbon fiber razor would not an obvious advantage for me. YMMV.

It would certainly be possible. The challenges would be the screw (probably would want a titanium screw set) and molding. The handle should be doable (those already exist, but what I've seen are metal handles with carbon fiber around it), but the head would really be a challenge. Then again, all my experience with carbon fiber is related to aerospace, so maybe it's not as challenging as I'd expect.

YES! I had this same thought a while back; a carbon fiber razor would be very interesting. I would be concerned about how well it resisted damage from drops, but considering how strong carbon can be, it may be a non-issue.

As the previous posters indicate, I also prefer heavier razors. I have a really nice aluminum razor, but don't use it very often because it is so light.

I also prefer my heavier razors and especially my recent Brass Karve. Nevertheless I have been able to use an Aluminum (Magaard) , Titanium (Baby Smooth) & even a 3D printed plastic (John Henry adjustable) with good results. With the higher priced Artisan razors I guess it's only time before they consider Carbon composites. If the Tour de France riders crash at 80 kph/50 mph and wreck their $15k carbon framed bike I would think the forces distributed would be more than dropping a razor which may survive a bathroom spill.

I saw one once that was a repair job. Carbon Fiber tubing to replace the split tubing on an Old Type. Looked great.

While the cool factor is off the charts, no way it would work for me. I can't even use an aluminum razor.

I’m throwing this out to the community for opinions. As you may know the Tour de France in ongoing as the world’s biggest bike race. Those of you who ride bikes know that the frames can be made from various materials including Aluminium, Steel, Titanium and Carbon. Each has benefits and drawbacks in the world of cycling.

In the world of DE Razors we have razors made out of these same materials as well as others (Brass, Bronze, Copper, 3D plastics etc). Are there any DE Razors made from Carbon Fiber ? Would it even be worthwhile ? What do people think of it ?
And as a fellow bike rider, you know that although carbon fiber bike frames and parts may be all the rage for road racing pros, they have drawbacks for ordinary cyclists. Metal components that are slightly bent in a crash can often be bent back into shape, whereas if a carbon fiber bike is damaged, that's usually the end of the road for that bike. And I'm not staking my life on carbon fiber parts that could fail under stress just to save a few ounces. So it doesn't seem like the ideal razor material.

At the other extreme, it would be interesting to try a tungsten razor. The machining costs would be crazy.

I think that would be way too much... I remember a few tungsten parts for some of the oil and gas tools we developed at my previous job. I think you would be more likely to slice off a chunk of your face than your whiskers. Hard too, I guess if you dropped it it could crack a bathroom tile. Solid gold would be another ridiculously heavy one, but if you dropped it you'd probably never get the alignment back. And it would cost thousands of dollars :).

I prefer a razor that's as light as can be which is why I chose Bakelite, but if there were a carbon fiber razor available AND it wasn't priced into the stratosphere, I'd definitely give one a whirl.

There is the "Carbon Fibre" from Elite Razor.

proxy.php

Or how about the Alex Jacques Custom Straight in carbon fibre? Pretty...

proxy.php

There is the "Carbon Fibre" from Elite Razor.

Or how about the Alex Jacques Custom Straight in carbon fibre? Pretty...
I saw those in my online searches. The DE looks like just another heavyweight metal razor with a carbon fiber accent; not a lightweight hollow or solid carbon fiber. As for the straight, I personally don't like straight razors but for those who do, that might be a viable option but the weight savings are probably negligible at best.

I don't really see the point. As much as I like lighter handles, simply making hollow metal ones (e.g. Fat Handle from a Tech) should do the job. I don't think that razors are an appropriate
problem for the solution of carbon fiber materials. Ordinary polycarbonates would be better, I think, once you solve the problem of the threaded stud.

A carbon fiber razor is what I would call a dancing bear.
"The marvellous thing about the dancing bear is not how gracefully it dances, but that it dances at all."
Carbon fiber tubes do make terrific kite frames though.

YES! I had this same thought a while back; a carbon fiber razor would be very interesting. I would be concerned about how well it resisted damage from drops, but considering how strong carbon can be, it may be a non-issue.

As the previous posters indicate, I also prefer heavier razors. I have a really nice aluminum razor, but don't use it very often because it is so light.
I would expect durability to be fairly high for a handle but a good comparison would be knife scales made out of carbon fiber. I think a carbon fiber handle would look great on a 3 piece gold razor. or if Gillette came out with a modern black beauty with carbon fiber handle..... It would have a nice price tag but would definitely sell.

And as a fellow bike rider, you know that although carbon fiber bike frames and parts may be all the rage for road racing pros, they have drawbacks for ordinary cyclists. Metal components that are slightly bent in a crash can often be bent back into shape, whereas if a carbon fiber bike is damaged, that's usually the end of the road for that bike. And I'm not staking my life on carbon fiber parts that could fail under stress just to save a few ounces. So it doesn't seem like the ideal razor material.
Hmm... While I do like carbon road bikes (and aluminum for that matter), I don’t think the razor undergoes quite the same stress a bike frame would. And, if I crashed my aluminum Cervélo so hard that I bent the frame, I’m pretty sure that would be the end of the line for ‘er too.

In any case, to me, it’s kind of a moot point. I like light bikes, but heavy razors.

Unless you’re travelling to space, I can’t see why you’d want to shave every possible gram off of a razor, unless it was strictly for the yellow jersey of Le Tour De Light Razor bragging rights.

Top Bottom