What's new

Car battery charger

Does your Toyota have some special kind of battery, or is it just a normal lead/acid battery? How old is your battery - it may just need replacing if it won't stay charged on its' own. Why does it need charging? Have you removed the battery terminals & cleaned off any corrosion? Often a little corrosion can prevent the battery from charging during short drives. $50 seems to be a normal price for this kind of charger.

Does your Toyota have some special kind of battery, or is it just a normal lead/acid battery? How old is your battery - it may just need replacing if it won't stay charged on its' own. Why does it need charging? Have you removed the battery terminals & cleaned off any corrosion? Often a little corrosion can prevent the battery from charging during short drives. $50 seems to be a normal price for this kind of charger.
The battery is almost new but I haven't been driving much during this pandemic. I drive a mile to the grocery store every 3 days and that's about it. Apparently that's not enough to keep the battery charged.

Will this charge the battery in a Toyota Corolla..
[/QUOTE
I use a Deltran Battery Tender. It’s meant to keep a battery charged on vehicles that are not driven often. It’s easier on the battery than a charger.
I think this will do the trick for you. Amazon sells them.

I would think the one you showed would work.

I use this Battery Tender for my 04 Accord that rarely gets used. I don't have a garage, so once a month (twice in winter) I run cables out a window and let it charge for a few hours. I have their optional 25' extension cable, so the unit stays inside and I can reach the far side of the driveway.

I'm sure that battery charger would charge your battery, but for your application a battery tender Jr would be a much nicer solution in my opinion.

The charger you listed will be best to charge a dead battery where as a battery tender Jr will maintain a battery in a car that isn't used much. Simply park your car, plug it in and leave it. Your battery will be ready next time you use your car whether that's 3 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months.

I have 3 cars, a motorcycle, mower, and an RV house battery that get very infrequent use. All are maintained with battery tender jrs. All work when needed.

You may have a small power draw that is causing your battery to drain. You probably never noticed it when driving daily, but now that the car sits for a few days it's becoming more of a problem.

Hope that's helpful.
Matt

I would think the one you showed would work.

I use this Battery Tender for my 04 Accord that rarely gets used. I don't have a garage, so once a month (twice in winter) I run cables out a window and let it charge for a few hours. I have their optional 25' extension cable, so the unit stays inside and I can reach the far side of the driveway.
Same one I suggested. I have 2 and they work like a charm. Car can sit fire a month and starts right up when I ask it to

The best charger for your situation is known as a smart charger. It has a microprocessor to monitor your battery's charging performance and will keep it topped up automatically.

A model such as this one, fully automatic, you can leave it attached to the battery for long periods without worry:

noco-2.jpg

If you go this route, buy a battery tender, not a charger (or a charger that converts to a tender, like the Noco, above [I use those at work and they work well]).

Tenders keep batteries at a full charge level by cycling on and off and adding power at a low rate. They help stored batteries last longer.

Chargers are generally dumb and just keep ramming a specific amount of power into a battery constantly. They can actually ruin an otherwise perfectly good battery if left connected too long.

Hope this helps.

I would go to an Auto Zone, Advance Auto or whatever auto supplies location exists in your area and get the battery and alternator tested. A check of both should identify any issues with either component. Driving a few miles every few days should not put much of a drain on a battery, especially on a Corolla. Regardless, investing in a battery tender would be the answer on which product to buy. It is a nice item to have on hand, along with a battery jump starter, for the occasional starting issue.

Last edited:
I second the recommendation for a battery maintainer. One of our cars hardly ever got driven and used to have some kind of electrical problem draining the battery, so I got a Battery Tender Junior. I also got the terminal harness with quick disconnect. I don't use the maintainer now, since the electrical problem seems to have gone away, and we drive the car more frequently now, maybe once a week. (Except for just recently with the virus around.)

I also keep a regular charger around for occasions like leaving the lights on so the car won't start. I've had the regular charger for many years, but probably now I would look at a battery jump starter.

One thing to consider is that if you have an AGM battery you would want to have a charger or maintainer compatible with that. I don't think this applies to a Corolla, but I could be wrong.

If your battery is totally drained, the battery tender will not recharge. Tenders are amazing at keeping it charged when the car is not used....you plug it and the battery will remain charged.
Get a charger from A....on or go to Oreillys or those stores....they will charge it.
I think I have a Schumacher..... charged it enough to go to PepBoys where it died and got a new one.
Reminds me I have to plug the tender to my car tomorrow...as I haven't used it in 3w.

Top Bottom