What's new

Captain's Choice vs Cat of Nine Tails

In reading from the Captain's web site I see that Cat of Nine Tails intentionally has more initial bite without being overpowering. Some seem to prefer that. my initial thought was that I would not like that. Then I Aqua Velva came up in my rotation and realized that the initial menthol blast was quite harsh but the ending results was nice.

How does the initial bite of Cat of Nine Tails compare to the initial menthol blast of Aqua Velva? I know the scent is very different but I'm talking about the initial face fell harshness. Any comments welcome.

Embrace the short-lived burn and cool down of Co9T. Been using CCBR, Co9T, North & Lime A/S for 10+ years. I like an a/s that's gone in half an hour and use CC. While I love the scent of Aqua Velva, even diluting it with 2/3 witch hazel it's still strong and lasts far too long for me. If you love the smell of clove, try Ogallala BR.

Last edited:
Co9T has the most burn of all the aftershaves I have (around 130 bottles, all different). It's not a harsh, dry burn like applying cologne as aftershave, but somehow a pleasant one. Then, as pbrmhl said, a warming sensation follows.

On my face, Aqua Velva has a cooling effect due to the menthol, while Co9T has a warming effect.

So let me ask the question differently. Is the burn from Cat O Nine Tails more than the burn from Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum? I really enjoy Bootleggers Bay Rum as it include a large dose of glycerin from Master's Bay Rum. I still enjoy Pinaud VIBR from time to time, and some of those times I feel a burn.

So let me ask the question differently. Is the burn from Cat O Nine Tails more than the burn from Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum? I really enjoy Bootleggers Bay Rum as it include a large dose of glycerin from Master's Bay Rum. I still enjoy Pinaud VIBR from time to time, and some of those times I feel a burn.

i'd say CO9T has slightly more burn than VIBR, but not by much.
VIBR has more clove.

vibr c09t.jpg

Top Bottom