What's new

Captain's Choice North shave cream review

This is more a review of the company, but I'll talk about the cream too.

After using Col Conk Amber shave soap for a few years, I decided I wanted to get some better lather so I could start using my straight razor more often. After some reading and youtube videos I decided on Captain's Choice North shave cream.

After a few shaves with hardly any lather developing, using an almost dry to a dripping brush and everything in between, I contacted Captain's Choice and explained my situation. They were extremely helpful. A week and a half later I received a new tub of shave cream (they wondered if my tub had been improperly stored). There was even a hand-written note included.

As to the cream, well I guess I need some more experience and possibly a local guy that can help me out. I think once I get better the cream will be fantastic. My problem may have been that I seriously underestimated how much cream to use (youtube videos saying "not too much" weren't really helpful). My water, hard or soft, not sure which, might play into it as well. The scent is great. The lather burns a bit, but I have pretty sensitive skin, and after some post shave balm I felt pretty good.

I am very pleased with Captain's Choice, and I look forward to learning to make a better lather and a more enjoyable shave.

I am about to finish a tub of the Bay Rum. I like it.
You are right, sir. This is a well respected and reliable vendor.
Use more cream.
Start with a damp brush and begin to lather.
Add a few drops and build some more lather. Repeat this process until your brush blooms and you have a creamy lather.
I’m sure you will do fine.

+1 - North cream lathers great for me. You might try using more product. North is a great one to mix with lime for a little variety. I have a bottle with a mix of CC Lime and North AS.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have some of the Captain's Bay Rum coming with my freebies purchase. Some good information to help me with the lathering process when it arrives. Thanks for the tips.

+1 - North cream lathers great for me. You might try using more product. North is a great one to mix with lime for a little variety. I have a bottle with a mix of CC Lime and North AS.
Both great scents.

I have full size North cream and splash and Venture cream. Samples of the venture splash, lime splash, and sandalwood soap. Haven't tried the sandalwood yet, but I really like the lime and venture. I definitely want a full size venture splash and maybe a balm next time I order goodies. I could definitely see getting a set of the Lime also, I love citrus. CC's Bay Rum is popular, but when I tried a sample I found it too clove heavy for my taste.

CC's Bay Rum is popular, but when I tried a sample I found it too clove heavy for my taste.

I guess because I switched to CC from Ogallala, I don't get clove in CC. I spent a lot of time at my grandma's in the 1950s and early 60s and she gummed clove sticks with Bazooka gum while rolling and smoking her own cigs all day & most of the night. Her kitchen always smelled like a jar of cloves, which smells like Ogallala BR. When I need that soothing childhood memory of clove, I use Ogallala. I don't get clove from CC. I get more cinnamon or nutmeg.

I too have the North cream. I use a plastic Ben &, Jerry's ice cream sample spoon to measure out mine, works every time!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have soaps and creams from CC i find both fairly fool proof. I just dab in the cream and go not much more thought process. As others said use a damp brush i do like 3 shakes and maybe more cream.
north is my top favorite aftershave this winter. the only one that gets a compliment around here every time i use it

Top Bottom