What's new

Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter

I was lucky enough to receive a bottle of Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter yesterday, which was just released. I won this in a contest here on B&B a few weeks ago.

I used it for the first time this morning, and I like it a lot. This aftershave is based on/inspired by the now discontinued Floid Blue. I have never tried Floid Blue, but I have been eager to do so (or to try one of the other inspired aftershaves). I am a huge Aqua Velva fan, and I had heard that these aftershaves were in the same family, so I was expecting an AV-type smell. Nor’Easter and AV smell very different to me, however.

So how does it smell? (Full disclosure: I’m not good at olfactory descriptions...) It has a very masculine smell with a powdery finish—maybe a hint of leather in there? It has a nice menthol zing as well. This could become a favorite. Definitely worth a try.

Scott/@Captain Pre-Capsize, any plans for a matching soap?

1EA34081-209B-4956-84A2-2602088E932B.jpeg

Thanks for the review! I have never tried Floid Blue either, but quite like B&M's Cool. Perhaps a sample of this one will be in my future.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks for posting
Question
How powdery is the finish? I find i dont care for a heavy powdered finish that smells like lavender

Thanks for posting
Question
How powdery is the finish? I find i dont care for a heavy powdered finish that smells like lavender

To me it smells pretty powdery, but I don’t get any lavender in the smell. It doesn’t smell anything like Clubman for example, which to me has a powdery lavender smell.

I hope that makes sense. It’s hard to describe, as the scent profile seems rather unique to me. I’m guessing it is similar to Floid Blue, Furbo Vintage Blu, or the other European “Blues,” but I’ve never tried them. Perhaps, someone who tried some of the early samples can chime in....

Thanks, guys. It’s a pleasure to be able to try this out. FYI, Scott is working on a soap. I received this message from him:

“We are presently working on Nor'easter in the soap, cream, and balm. Trying to get the scent concentration and menthol percentage is not easy when you are dealing with four very different products with different viscosities. We do expect them to be released by August.”

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
To me it smells pretty powdery, but I don’t get any lavender in the smell. It doesn’t smell anything like Clubman for example, which to me has a powdery lavender smell.

I hope that makes sense. It’s hard to describe, as the scent profile seems rather unique to me. I’m guessing it is similar to Floid Blue, Furbo Vintage Blu, or the other European “Blues,” but I’ve never tried them. Perhaps, someone who tried some of the early samples can chime in....
thanks i know its difficult to describe scents for me
i haven't tried the euro blues either but have Bm blue version.

I went to their website yesterday and I found out about this one. I ordered it right away with other stuff.
Looking forward to it.

I'm starting to prefer the "blue" scents more and more.
May even do a wholesale den offload/restock with primarily blues.
I may just have to check this one out....

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review. Alas shipping restrictions don’t allow me to purchase any aftershaves form overseas.

I'm starting to prefer the "blue" scents more and more.
May even do a wholesale den offload/restock with primarily blues.
I may just have to check this one out....

Aqua Velva is one of my all time favorites. This one is growing on me too. At some point, I want to give Furbo Vintage Blu a try too.

Thanks for the review. Alas shipping restrictions don’t allow me to purchase any aftershaves form overseas.

That sucks, Andrew. I’m curious, what’s the product availability like in Australia in general?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
There are suppliers of Captain’s Choice around. I have found the soaps and creams but I like dealing with Scott direct. Hopefully they might pop up here in the future.

Thanks for the review! I have never tried Floid Blue either, but quite like B&M's Cool. Perhaps a sample of this one will be in my future.

Well that didn't last long...:001_rolle

Got a bottle ordered. He tempted me with those sweet looking mugs...gotta make it worth my while since I'm paying shipping either way...right?

Well that didn't last long...:001_rolle

Got a bottle ordered. He tempted me with those sweet looking mugs...gotta make it worth my while since I'm paying shipping either way...right?

Ha! Those mugs are pretty cool. Let us know how you like Nor’easter.

Mine arrived few days ago.
I have never had Blue before so I can’t compare.
I like the cool feeling it gives to my skin. The scent is nice and also hard to describe. I can perceive menthol, cool, and “powdery”,... frost?

My wife likes it, that’s what matter :D.

After being outside in 100F weather, coming inside and taking a shower and shaving with menthol soap and aftershave is all you want.

I can’t wait for the soap

Top Bottom