What's new

Captain's Choice Nor'easter AS Review

The Captain's newest scent is out just in time for summer. Captain's Choice Nor'easter is the Captain's mentholated aftershave splash option. Named after a weather phenomenon occurring in the north Atlantic off of the coast of New England, this splash promises a cool, refreshing experience. Does it deliver? That's what I endeavored to find out.

Upon receiving my bottle, the first thing I noticed was the beautiful presentation. The AS comes sharply packaged in a dark brown bottle, complete with a frost blue label. The sticker also has snowflakes, denoting the chilling effect the mentholated splash has. The bottle is complete with a clear rubber dropper. This may not seem like a big deal, but for me it is. My first bottle of CC Bay Rum did not have a dropper and it drove me crazy. The Captain has since added these to his splashes, and I think it is for the better.

The scent of this splash is inviting and pleasant. The first notes I could smell were amber and lavender. I also detected undertones of winterberry that accompany the top notes. The aroma is a pleasant, subtle masculine scent and reminds me of a forest in the cold of winter.

We are in the midst of record setting heat in Syracuse today, so a mentholated AS is what the doctor ordered. It was perfect timing as the package came in right before my shave. I showered up and prepped with Australian Red Clay soap and Proraso Pre-Shave. I used Mike's Natural Soaps Lime and shaved with my Merkur 37c and a Tatra razor I received as a PIF from @Grundi. It was a nice DFS with no response from the alum block. A perfect pallette to apply a splash for the first time.

The first thing I noticed when I applied the splash was a slight cooling sensation, followed by its scent. The menthol was refreshing, but I was hoping it would be more intense and longer lasting. Its performance is exceptional, in true CC fashion.

Overall, I love the scent and performance, while underwhelmed by the menthol. I would still recommend this aftershave and advise you grab a bottle before the summer months are upon us.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I just bought and received a bottle of this after trying a sample they sent me with another order. I like it very much. My wife liked the scent also. It's not an overpowering scent, but a very nice, masculine scent.

Top Bottom