What's new

Captain's Choice - new product. Tell me what you think!

Here it is gents. This is a preliminary version of a line extension of our bowls in unbreakable copper. These pictures were sent from the factory where it was hammered into shape by hand. I ought to have it in a few weeks. They used the dimensions of our very popular lather bowls to make this one.

Once I have it in hand I will use it for a time and will likely tweak a few things. I note the thumb rest is not oriented correctly, for instance. It is not certain that we will introduce this so it does depend on what I think of it and what you think of it. I would love to hear back from you.

Some questions:

1. What is your first reaction. Do you like it? Dislike? What would you change?

2. Our existing lather bowls sell for $28.75 and are breakable ceramic. This is unbreakable copper. What would you expect to pay for it?

3. If you have an existing lather bowl would you also buy this as a companion?

4. Pretend you do not own one of our lather bowls. Which would you buy, an original bowl or this copper bowl?

IMG_4214.jpeg
IMG_4218 copy.jpg

The copper looks incredible. I would definitely purchase it over the ceramics, both for looks and so it wouldn't be an issue if it slipped out of my hands. Well done.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It looks like it matches your brand perfectly. I’d buy the copper over the ceramic if they were the same price.

Hey Captain, very nice!!

Here's my thoughts:
1. Initial reaction-- I like it! I would hope the ridges in this bowl are as pronounced as the ones in the ceramic bowls. If there is anything I would change it would be to make the walls curve inwards slightly more.

2. I would expect to pay a little less for this than the ceramic bowls. Maybe $20 instead of $28. I'm not sure of all of the process for making this one, but the ceramic ones have a custom & unique feel about it that this seems to lack just a tad, especially since the ceramics have different patterns & colors that are downright awesome. Not sure either of the weight, but it would seem this would be lighter weight & thinner than the ceramic ones giving it an impression that it is less substantial & might be prone to deformation or bending of the walls (even though it's unbreakable). Because of that I would expect it to be less money. Again these are just my subjective thoughts that could change in the future!

3. I am a proud owner of a ceramic bowl with matching soap locker in Sandstorm & both are amazing. Yes, I could see myself acquiring this piece as a companion & probably mostly for traveling.

4. If I had to choose only one, I would go with the ceramic just because it is perfect, it is unique, it looks amazing & it's sort of the classic & original by now. It's still a great piece in my den. I would like to get this one for when I travel!

Overall Scott, I think it's a winner & could appeal to many of us B&B'ers who enjoy variety, especially from the Captain's products!
2018-01-01 21.53.20.jpg

Hello Captain!

I totally prefer the existent breakable ceramic. The ridges are deeper and it is more detailed than the new. Also, I expect the new to be much cheaper from the original one.

And.. no, I would totally buy one more original in another colour but not this one.

My thoughts only with respect and I second the fact that you ask us before you sell it. Well done!

PS If you want to make something unbreakable, I suggest to make something totally different from the original one just for variety. With a handle or with a shape that we can put our fingers around it and hold it tight when lathering.

It's nice and being unbreakable is definitely attractive. However, I prefer the looks of the ceramic bowls. It may just be that this is a prototype, or maybe it is just the photos, but it doesn't look as nicely finished as your ceramic bowls. I would expect these to cost less than the ceramic bowls.

The unbreakable nature of the copper really appeals to me, I think I would def be in line to purchase one if the price was right. I love the way your ceramic bowls look but I would be nervous to use one in a tile-floored bathroom. Very nice looking product.

Maybe it's the prototype nature, but it looks like the copper bowl is already corroding on the inside. Will these bowls eventually turn green as it oxidizes? If that's the case, I'd much prefer ceramic.

I would go with the ceramic bowl. Those have a distinct individual look to them where the copper bowls probably would not show individual distinctness until they start to turn green or until someone bothers to polish it to a high luster. If it was a different shape or size, then maybe. Just so it doesn't try to compete directly with your original ceramic ones.

I do not own a lather bowl although I have been a little tempted to purchase one of your ceramics because they are so well done and have unique patterns. As for the copper bowl, I agree with some of the previous comments concerning price. I would expect to pay less for the copper bowls because they are not quite as unique as the ceramics. But I would be more likely to purchase a copper bowl because I like the material.

I like the copper bowl. It is a nice size and different from the copper bowls currently available. I have the Captain's large ceramic bowl in gunmetal and would like an unbreakable bowl for travel.

As far as price goes, I would purchase the copper bowl if it was the same price range as the ceramic bowls.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I like the idea of a copper bowl. Having said that, it does not look like this copper bowl has the concave sides of the ceramic version, which are maybe it’s greatest design feature.

I’m on my second lather bowl (having dropped the first), and I’m pretty sure I would still go for another ceramic if necessary over the copper version - even if the sides and the other items mentioned above were all addressed. I’m not sure your ceramic bowls can actually be improved on.

I like it, a lot. Price point could be around $35. Yes, I would buy it regardless of any other bouls I own.. Will also work for vacations. Looks great as is.
Mikey

Hey Captain,

Looks pretty good, I would like to see the top edge maybe flared or rolled some but I would likely buy one as is.

Top Bottom