What's new

Captain's Choice Lime sign up thread - at last!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'll gladly pay for a sample. Please PM me your Paypal address.

Just got the sample in the mail today and gave it a try. I just copied and pasted your original post to give my review.

1. The scent - Its pretty strong in the bottle, at first I wasn't even sure I would like it because of the smell. Also my nose got a more spicy than lime scent. However, after putting it on, it dries down vastly to a very subtle scent.

2. The application - really didn't get much from the application, just felt like I was putting some liquid on my face. I noticed very little sting

3. The finish - my face feels phenomenal. Makes my skin vary smooth and soft.

4. How long did the scent last for you - From the get go it went away very quickly. I can still get very very small hints of it up to this point 2 hours later.

5. Would you buy this product? Preliminary price would be $18.00 for the four ounce bottle, just like our other two aftershaves - I've only used it once so it is hard to say. I'd say yes though. After using the entire sample I'll get a better feel for it.

6. How can it be better - maybe some more sting. I'll be the first to say I'm not the best at determining different properties of scent, but I felt like there was some spiciness to this, which I wasn't expecting since I was primarily looking for spring/summer AS. I'd like it in the fall though. At any rate, the scent went away pretty quickly so it didn't really matter in the long run. Also, maybe when the weather heats up the lime scent will become more noticeable.

The main thing that one looks for in an aftershave--skin healing--was great. You nailed it in that department. My face really does feel wonderful and thats the most important thing

Just got mine in the mail! I love the smell out of the bottle, and so did SWMB, who typically does not like scents. I can't wait to try it after my shave tonight and report back.

I found the scent to be fresh, with an excellent balance of lime and bay.
1: I feel the scent is a bit too weak.
2: The application feels good with no sting at all despite a rare nick on my chin.
3: It has a good finish, not drying or oily.
4: It lasted about 30 minutes for me.
5,6: I would buy the product if the scent was a bit stronger and longer lasting. I really did enjoy the scent, though I’d like to enjoy it longer.

Thanks for the opportunity to give your product a test!

It's here.... it's here..... whoo hooo....

tonight will be a lime-ation shaving experience (lime cream, lime as, lime edc).

I have not opened it yet. Will do it after shaving so that I can get that full experience that it needs

I'm feeling pretty left out here. Still waiting on my package, and I'm hoping it's coming tomorrow. Can't wait to give this a shot.

Tried mine out tonight. Not sure if my technique has become perfected or there is just no burn to this guy at a all. Definitely a high quality lime scent with dark qualities to it. Reminds me of Dominica Bay Rum with lime. Definitely a winner.

Max

My sample came this afternoon. I will use it tomorrow and Sunday, then give my evaluation. Thanks for the opportunity to help you out Scott. :biggrin1:

Used the sample of Lime after shave this evening.

Opening the bottle and whiffing directly the scent was a subdued Lime.

I always make 2 applications of aftershave.

First application gave a very solid fresh lime oil scent. Like you would get if you were pealing a lime right under your nose. Very nice.

Second application bought in some other back scents with a fresh lime zest scent.

Even though I shaved with my R41 and when I do, I always get a VERY close shave that causes all aftershaves to burn I did not get any burn. VERY impressed with the soothing qualities of this product.

After dry down my face is smooth, refreshed, and almost a moisturized feeling like I get with after shave balms but without any of the thick sticky that a balm has. The Captain has hit a home run with this product.

Lime is a fleeting scent and one that is very hard to hit but this one is LIME. The longevity is short but even my Lime EDC has a very short life span (scent wise).

I am going to get a full bottle of this product as soon as it becomes available!

proxy.php

I will give an update in a few days, as I have decided to use this aftershave for the next 3-4 shaves. This is just an initial review on a sample product.

1. The scent - When I first opened the sample all I could smell was the bay rum. I only got a little lime. When I put it on after the shave the lime came through, although it was a lite lime smell. My wife and daughters did not like the smell. One said "old christmas tree" and the other said "bad". But they are women, what do they know(just kidding). I just wanted to pass what the originally thought of the smell along. I always ask them how do I smell after a shave.

2. The application - There was no sting. I like my aftershaves to sting a little. It still feels good going on, you know it's quality.

3. The finish - My face felt smooth and soft. It was like I hadn't shaved at all. That's what I love about Captain's.

4. How long did the scent last for you? It lasted for about 30 minutes. I shave at night and like my aftershaves to last for awhile. I like anything that lasts for over 2 hours. I rub the excess on my hands and elbows. I don't know why I do this, I just do.

5. Would you buy this product? Preliminary price would be $18.00 for the four ounce bottle, just like our other two aftershaves.- Not sure if I would buy this exact product. With a few tweaks, I would definitely buy it. It blended nicely with the Fitjar Bay Rum and Lime cream I used.

6. How can it be better? More lime, less bay rum. More sting and more scent.

I suppose I should start off by explaining my frame of reference. I am new to aftershaves in general (as a kid in high school, before I really needed to shave, I used to use Brut, like my dad, but I don't count that), and have never used a bay rum AS. I sniffed a few bottles at Colonial Drug and didn't live what I smelled, but have been curious since I started reading this board, since there are so many aficionados here.

I mainly use AOS sandalwood balm. My shaves have been rough starting out, and I usually feel like I need ointment, not alcohol.

I started using aftershaves about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I've mostly rotated Clubman, the Veg, and Tabac. The other day I purchased a bottle of Skin Bracer and used it for the first time last night. I loved the lingering menthol, and decided to use it on my head tonight. When the sample of Lime arrived, I decided to still use the SB on my head and the captains on my face.

I used an EJ89 with a Polsilver SI blade, Olivia's Seife Dschinn soap, and a Bock Silvertip. I shaved my head first, and applied the Skin Bracer. Definitely enjoyed the menthol as much as I'd hoped. Then I shaved the face. I went easy tonight: three passes WTG, XTG, XTG, with some cleanup at the jawline.

As I noticed when it first arrived, the smell out of the bottle is strong and pleasurable. It has a bite, or spiciness to it, that I really like. I poured some into my hand, and applied it to my face and neck, massaging lightly.

Almost no stinging (as I would expect from the gentle shave). The smell immediately gained a richness and complexity that was surprising, and unlike any of the *** I've used before. There was a woodsy quality, a sense of depth, and something nostalgic--an aroma that kindled a strong sense of being drawn into a memory, real or imagined, that evoked in me simultaneously the notions of childhood, manliness, work, comfort, and tradition. I couldn't place the smell or the memory (if it was a memory), but it was a wonderful, drawn out moment.

The smell dissipated very quickly, which is fine for me (I like to carry only a hint of scent on me, mostly for my own pleasure, or that of someone very close).

The feel of my skin after applying was maybe the best thing about this aftershave. It felt smooth, clean, and soft. For the first time since I started DE shaving, I did not use a balm or moisturizer of any kind. As good as the menthol felt on my skull, I really regret notnusing the Captain on my noggin as well.

It's an hour later and I can still smell it on my hands. I really like it, and find myself wishing I could still smell it on my face. I might use more tomorrow, or apply twice.

How can it be improved? No would say by making the scent stronger and/or longer-lasting BUT ONLY IF THAT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING ELSE. Using this aftershave was a sensual, satisfying experience that enhanced the overall shaving experience and was a pleasure into itself. If you didn't change a thing I would stand in line to buy it the moment it became available.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to try a sample. I hope these comments are helpful.

1) smells very similar to previous captain aftershaves. Not enough lime, very hard to detect lime to my nose.
2) feels great. Like every other product Scott makes it feels great with very tiny burn and great healing ingredients
3) great, face feels refreshed, healed, smooth. Not to dry but not balm like either, just right
4) about 15-20 minutes, wish it was like lme sec that still stays on my skin hours after application
5/6) at this point I dont get enough difference from cat o nine or the original bay rum. Lime is lacking in my opinion and because of that I would pass on this exact batch. I want to smell lime not bay rum. Add more lime, then add some more lime and I think you will have a real winner! Awesome work Scott, i appreciate the opportunity!

It's arrived! (I've also not tried cat o' nine tails, and I ordered a sample of that.)

Excited to try this one and post my thoughts later tonight...Captain's Choice is off the beaten path, and in a very good way.

1) The scent-The first sniff when I opened the bottle was like a spicy lime zest which I really enjoyed. When I applied it after shaving I immediately caught a strong scent like clove that I've smelled in Bay Rum scents. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of clove.
2) The application- There was an enjoyable, mild burn when first applying it that quickly faded to a "soothing" feeling that was great.
3) The finish- My face feels smooth, soft and irritation free. A lot like a good balm or milk but without any greasyness or residue feeling.
4) How long does it last- The lime was gone almost immediately, unfortunately, and the clove fades enough for me in about 30 minutes.
5) Would I buy it- I really like the scent in the bottle and the way it makes face feel but I really don't like the clove scent so I'd have to pass on it.
6) How can it be better- to quote what Rjacklin said in his review "Lime is lacking in my opinion... I want to smell lime not bay rum. Add more lime, then add some more lime and I think you will have a real winner!"
Thank you for the opportunity and I hope my feedback was helpful. I really enjoyed the feel of this, but I really don't like the strong clove smell.

1. Scent - smells like a fresh cut lime, with a hint of spice. Very nice.

2. Application - absorbs nicely, leaves skin feeling smooth and soft. Minimal burn, more of a tingling sensation.

3. Finish - oops, see #2

4. Lasts - can still smell lime a half hour later, but not much beyond that. Such a great scent, I wish it lasted longer. A splash of water on my face revived the scent for several minutes.

5. Buy - absolutely.

6. Improve - if it lasted longer, it would be a big plus. Still a winner. :thumbup1:

Hey Scott, Here is my evaluation of your new Lime As. After two shaves/applications my overall impression is very positive. I'm sure with a little fixing you would have an excellent product.

1. The scent - Very nice in the bottle. Has a Lime/Spice scent which is very pleasant. When applied all I smelled was the Lime scent. I feel the scent was a little weak and should be made stronger.

2. The application - Very nice and smooth. No burn, just a nice comforting feeling when applied to my freshly shaved skin.

3. The finish - Excellent. My face felt very soft and soothed.

4. How long did the scent last for you - About 20 mins. I wish it lasted longer.

5. Would you buy this product? Yes! Just like your other products it is very nice. If you could give it a stronger lime scent and have it last a little longer you would have a real winner.

AOS lemon preshave oil
Castle Forbes lime cream
Captain's Choice lime
Gillette Gold Super Adjustable with an Astra SP

1. The scent - too strong, just right, too weak?
The scent was not as strong as the bay rum. I got alot of spice and not much lime until the very end, and I had to go searching for the lime. It prompted an "oooh!" from the wife, she liked it. She does not normally like bay rums - and mentioned she got alot of cinnamon/holiday scent.

2. The application - does it feel good, how is the sting?
Feels good, noticeably not as much sting as the bay rum.

3. The finish - how does your face feel after it dries down?
Face feels just right, not too drying. I don't ever get a moisturized feeling from splashes though - plus I'm in a cold climate.

4. How long did the scent last for you?
Scent did not linger much longer than 20 min or so, which is good for me. I can't wear an offensively strong scent at the office.

5. Would you buy this product? Preliminary price would be $18.00 for the four ounce bottle, just like our other two aftershaves.
I would.

6. How can it be better?
More lime, less spice.

Thanks again for letting me participate.

Top Bottom