What's new

Captain's Choice Lime - A Review

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I recently received this soap sample in the parcel of 45th Parallel cream The Captain sent me, and as it's been over 100 degrees the last several days, and again today, I was in the mood for something a bit more suitable with this tropical weather.

I dont really have a lot to say that I havent already said in my review of the 45th Parallel cream so this wont be as long a post.

IMG_2070.JPG

Fatip Grande, and only my second shave with it.

Gillette Green and my first shave with it in this razor. I wont go into details about the blade, or the shave so much for that matter as this is about the soap.

I scooped out a dollop about the size of an Almond, which was a bit too much as my Omega 10005 boar quickly whipped it into a 1/2 bowl full of lather. I'll add that my bowl is on the large side, 6" across the top and 2 1/2" deep.

It did take longer to build that lather, and it took a little more water than the cream does.

Standard three pass shave and with this blade, 2 more clean ups over my neck. No surprises. The lather gave me nice slickness, cushion and protection. It didnt fall apart on the later passes and when painting it on for my final buffing pass it was just as thick, rich and consistent as the first. Very much the same as the 45th Parallel cream I like so much.

The scent...

This is a complex scent to me as have been all of the Captain's Choice products I've used. Like the 45th it's light, mild and airy. It smells of a strong citrus scent that evens out and becomes milder as you lather it and add water.

Imagine sitting on a deck at your beach house in Key West Florida with this in front of you and the soft breeze blew into your face giving you just a whiff of that slice of pie.

keys-key-lime-pie.jpg

It's not as rich nor as sweet smelling, but this is pretty much the image in my mind while I was shaving, just sitting in a lounger on the sand lol. It is however a very crisp clean scent and very close to a scent I'm currently searching for. If it had a more beach or water type note to it I'd be all over it!

Another top shelf product from a top tier business and a great guy.

Keep doing what you do Scott!

Nice review, thanks. I know when people mention lime scents, Captain's Choice comes up every time. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Every other one of his scents I've tried is excellently executed.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Great stuff! I've got the lime cream and I really like it a lot.

Thanks!

I find myself leaning to creams over soaps these days. Maybe the 45th Parallel just has me spoiled lol.

Nice review, thanks. I know when people mention lime scents, Captain's Choice comes up every time. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Every other one of his scents I've tried is excellently executed.

Thanks!

Citrus scents for me can be polarizing. They few I have used have been too bold and in my face so to speak, or too sweet, overwhelmingly so.

The scents concocted by Scott and used in Captain's Choice products really seem to be outstanding. Highly refined. Not a slap in the face, but like many higher end things, understated. That pays off in the long run as you dont get tired of the scent.

Thanks for the review! Captain's Choice North is one of my all-time favorite soaps. The scent and performance are top notch. I really want to get Lime and Bay Rum by them, but am on a buying freeze imposed by SWMBO. I need to work on 3017ing a couple out of my collection to get the freeze removed. RazoRock-tober will definitely help with that since I only have Amici to use.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
thanks - great review. I am a happy fan of the captain too with Co9; lime as and 45th soap (so yummy I want to eat it). the cream is yet another nice option.

To me it smells like a fresh Margarita. I usually follow with CC lime AS and CC lime balm. CC lime AS smells like a fresh cut lime. I suppose combining North and Lime would smell like a gin and tonic. Don't know, I've never tried North.

To me it smells like a fresh Margarita. I usually follow with CC lime AS and CC lime balm. CC lime AS smells like a fresh cut lime. I suppose combining North and Lime would smell like a gin and tonic. Don't know, I've never tried North.
North has more of an evergreen smell with only a hint of the juniper. I've used that combination but with Stirling Lime AS balm which also smells like fresh squeezed lime juice. The combination is actually really great. But I wouldn't say it's like a Gin & Tonic.

North has more of an evergreen smell with only a hint of the juniper. I've used that combination but with Stirling Lime AS balm which also smells like fresh squeezed lime juice. The combination is actually really great. But I wouldn't say it's like a Gin & Tonic.

I've got the North AS, and mine has a strong juniper note. Some batch variation, perhaps. Nonetheless, this gin and tonic idea has really intrigued me. I'm gonna' have to try this out.

I've got the North AS, and mine has a strong juniper note. Some batch variation, perhaps. Nonetheless, this gin and tonic idea has really intrigued me. I'm gonna' have to try this out.
Batch variance definitely makes sense. My first soap sample that got me hooked on the scent now has a strong clove note. But I think it's like that because it was smashed into the bottom of a bowl with no lid, so the evergreen and juniper notes have dissipated over time. It's been a while since I used this combo, so I may have to revisit it to see how Gin & Tonic-y it turns out to be.

Top Bottom