What's new

Captain's choice lather bowl improved my shaving routine

I used a brush and shaving cream all my life. Started shaving before 25 years ago, with a brush, some bulgarian cream (I am from Bulgaria) and disposable razor (mostly Gillette 2 (GoodNews)).

On my graduation of high school my aunt gifted me the new then Gillette Sensor Excell, which was something very modern with pivoting head and cartrige heads. Unfortunately I never liked this razor. It was too expensive to replace blades and I just put the handle in the trash when I used all cartriges.

Before about 14 years, I found my dad's old double edge razor (soviet copy of Super Speed). Got some blades from the store and tried it. I was bit scared, because I knew, he doesn't liked that razor for reason. But I was suprised of quality of shave. Then I found shavemyface forum...

There was a lot of good people, who helped me with advices how to improve my shave. I got some real Gillette vintage razors and they worked much better, but after all these years till now, I always suffered from one bad spot on my neck. It was real pain every time, when I shave this area with 1-2 bloody spots or irritation.

Last year a friend of mine from LA send me Captain's choice ceramic lather bowl. To be honest I tried using bowls for lather in the beginning, but never got result, which I like, so, I stayed face latherer. Big mistake.

This bowl is magical. It let me to create thick dense and slick lather from almost any cream or soap which I use (except MWF). In the past I always wondered why sometimes I get better shave with canned goo than shaving cream, which should be opposite. Now I know. The quality of lather.

All these years I missed 1 important thing - preparation. I don't know is this the reason or not, but now my shaves are constantly free of irritation, burning, cuts or other issues. My skin is sensitive, and lather from bowl is not that strong smell than from directly on face. It is more easy to find the right proportion of cream:water. Even cheap creams works well for me.

My daily razor is Slim Adjustable (usually on 3 or 4). Allowing to use different types of blades. Lowest profile head (compared to Fatboy or 50s Super Speeds) is better for me.

Long story short : we learning whole life :)

Last edited:
Excellent post. 👍

The Captain's Choice Copper bowl has become a permanent part of my shaving routine. Makes it easy to build an excellent lather consistently with any soap, croap or cream. :thumbup:

++++++++ The best shaving purchase I have made the last 12 months.

IMG_2075.jpeg

I purchased a Captain’s Choice ceramic lather bowl a month ago thinking that I would gift it to some men in my family that I have started down the road to shaving with DE razors. Last week I decided to try shaving with cold water to see if it would improve my shaves (spoiler alert it didn’t) and decided to try the Captain’s lather bowl myself since a scuttle isn’t needed for a cold shave. I scraped a bit of soap off of a Seaforth! soap puck and pushed it between a couple of the rings on the bottom of the lather bowl then began swirling my brush around the bottom of the bowl. The speed with which I made a voluminous amount of quality lather amazed me. The Captain’s lather bowls are like a cheat code for making lots of lather quickly. My Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle is facing a possible retirement. If you struggle with lathering shave soap give the Captain’s lather bowl a try.

My Captain’s Choice heavy copper bowl has completely replaced my PAA moonscape that I have used since they were released.
No comparison at all.
For me it’s a vastly better tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning, I used the Captain's lather bowl for only the second time. I have some Arko sticks that I mashed up in an empty DG soap puck container and I used my teaspoon to scrape some off of the top of the puck and mashed it in between two of the rings on the base. I then used just enough hot water to cover the soap while I did some other things. Then I began swirling my brush around the bowl and lather exploded. The bowl dang near overflowed with lather and it isn't a small bowl. That has never happened to me before. I did a 4 pass shave with touchups and I still threw out half a bowl of lather. Again that has never happened before either. That lather bowl is a lather making machine like I have never experienced.

Sharko 4.jpg

I'm just going to echo everyone else and state that the captain's bowl is awesome. I've got the normal copper one. When I started I tried several bowls and mugs and couldn't get good results. I went to face lathering. I gave the Captain's bowl a try and got a great lather in about the same time as face lathering. I get no feedback from an alum block whereas before with face lathering I did.

Top Bottom