What's new

Captain's Choice copper shaving/lather bowl. Big thumb's up!

I scored a nice old Old Spice cup from a great member here. Then proceeded to whip up a morning lather with my huge Shavemac 2 band lol. Yeah, no room. I attached a rod to my brush and chucked it in my drill. 1200 rpm does wonders for lather but I advise eye protection as the badger hairs will start flying everywhere. Now I’m civilized with my copper CC bowl. Such a fantastic lather bowl. Thanks Scott!

I have the heavyweight copper bowl and, since I got it, it is just about the only shave den item that I haven't been tempted to try any other products with, not even just to mix things up - it works perfectly and I love it.
same experience here. I have several scuttles for the winter months, but the heavyweight is my go-to.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Keep in mind, it's a different experience than using a ceramic bowl or mug. Technique is pretty much the same but the wide and low of the design is different. And yes, these are absolutely works of ar that could be used for many display purposes. One thing I noted, the bottom of mine is not pefectly level on the counter so it doesn't sit solidly without rocking it if you push down on an edge. I could exchange it but decided to think of it as charming instead as it doesn't really matter.
Both of mine were like that.... I took it to my work bench, turned it upside down... took a small piece of 2x4 longer than the bowl, of course and tapped it gently with a hammer to make the bottom a bit flatter. It is copper and it's soft... a few taps and the bottom was level. Neither rock at all now. Use a straight edge, either the 2x4 or a metal rule to determine the flatness. It isn't hard to do, but I suppose it depends on how comfortable one is with tools, etc. I don't want anyone to follow my suggestion and mess up their bowl. <eg>

Edit: I should clarify. The top of the bowl has to sit completely flat on the surface of your choice, but that surface really needs to be soft... so the wood top of my work bench is perfect. If you don't have a work bench, you could use a flat cutting board on top of a counter top, I suppose. You don't need much force but I wouldn't start banging on the bottom of the bowl with a hammer, etc. The 2x4 worked perfectly but a 1x4 would also work.... a piece of straight wood of some sort.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So one of our mods here always posts photos with a copper shaving bowl and I started looking into them. For years, I used an oversized latte/cappuccino mug of white china with a handle where I could slide my thumb through it. Worked fine but a little too tall and clanky with some of my brushes hitting the sides. I recently retired them as I knew my luck would run out at some point and it would land on the tile floor of the bathroom. I went back to one of those Turkish hammered tin and copper plate bowls which are uber cool and work very well. Just a little small for me. And then, I saw the Captain's Choice bowls!

I have medium large hands so the dimensions added up, they are each made by hand (I'm guessing Pakistan or India but CC won't reveal their source). There's a compass rose mounted to an indent on the side so you've got a great point of support for your thumb. I like that it's about 4.5" across the top AND the bottom and about 1.5" tall. The come in light or heavy (I chose the heavy for its flared lip) and you can get them in a few finishes and, it looks like ceramic as well. A seller on ebay has them at the right price with shipping included. Got here 3 days early.

Having only received it after my shave yesterday, I used it today. Wanted to give it a good test so I used my $10 Omega brush that comes with their soap (10065) and a puck of compressed Speick stick into a little ramekin bowl. I think it's been a good six months, maybe more since I used that soap. Took my shower with the brush sitting in a vintage Victor diner mug (if you don't know, google it), shook off the water and went to the puck. I don't do photos but, suffice it to say, within a minute or so after loading the brush I had an ABUNDANCE of creamy lather, more than enough with leftover for my obsessive shaves. I believe this bowl will work equally well with your silvertip brushes as the texture in the bowl are rounded humps that go around the circumference of the bowl.

Anyway, I know a number of people here have them and they might not suit everyone but after decades of wet shaving, I found the bowl!

Captain's Choice Heavyweight Copper Bowl

proxy.php

Congratulations! Scott sells really awesome hand made bowls at his Captain's Choice shop. I have his ceramic Cobalt blue bowl, which he no longer sells, and I have his Starry Night bowl and scuttle as well. I was thinking about getting Scott's Obsidian copper bowl, but in the end, ended up getting Cayuen hardware.

I gotta say, between the two available standard copper bowl options that Scott sells, I think you piced the better version, cause its heavy weighted, and its a bit on the deep side. The great thing about copper is, if you drop it, its not going to break. Worst you might do is put a dent in it, but thats about it. Take care of your new bowl, and it will last you a long time.

It will be nice seeing your own pictures of the bowl too, especially if you get one with lather in it. 😁

Both of mine were like that.... I took it to my work bench, turned it upside down... took a small piece of 2x4 longer than the bowl, of course and tapped it gently with a hammer to make the bottom a bit flatter. It is copper and it's soft... a few taps and the bottom was level. Neither rock at all now. Use a straight edge, either the 2x4 or a metal rule to determine the flatness. It isn't hard to do, but I suppose it depends on how comfortable one is with tools, etc. I don't want anyone to follow my suggestion and mess up their bowl. <eg>

Edit: I should clarify. The top of the bowl has to sit completely flat on the surface of your choice, but that surface really needs to be soft... so the wood top of my work bench is perfect. If you don't have a work bench, you could use a flat cutting board on top of a counter top, I suppose. You don't need much force but I wouldn't start banging on the bottom of the bowl with a hammer, etc. The 2x4 worked perfectly but a 1x4 would also work.... a piece of straight wood of some sort.
I'm comfortable doing that and have the right tools but then it loses a little charm, n'est-ce pas?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm comfortable doing that and have the right tools but then it loses a little charm, n'est-ce pas?
I'm admittedly a bit anal when it comes to stuff like this. I don't like to hear clinking when I'm shaving or in this case, when I put my keys in my Aquamarine bowl. I have to say... you should hear the nice ring the copper bowl makes if one of my keys hits the side. I have felt in the bottom.... but I almost always here that nice ring when I put my keys into it.

I use a towel on the counter when I shave anyway... so it would probably be moot, but I like things to sit flat if that is possible. I get it though.... the charm thing, n'est-ce pas?

I'm admittedly a bit anal when it comes to stuff like this. I don't like to hear clinking when I'm shaving or in this case, when I put my keys in my Aquamarine bowl. I have to say... you should hear the nice ring the copper bowl makes if one of my keys hits the side. I have felt in the bottom.... but I almost always here that nice ring when I put my keys into it.

I use a towel on the counter when I shave anyway... so it would probably be moot, but I like things to sit flat if that is possible. I get it though.... the charm thing, n'est-ce pas?
I feel ya! If I had one for decorative use, I might put something on the bottom to dull the sound, not scratch the furniture, etc. For one that gets wet? Live with it or do what you suggest (which I could end up doing. Never say never, right?).

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello Kim, hope you are well today!

Yes, I too am sensitive to unnecessary noise, just one of the reasons that I really hate it when some people like to slam doors and drawers in the house. And clinging against a bowl would drive me insane! This is just another reason why I am not a believer in using shave mugs, because all your going to be doing is clanking the brush handle against the ceramic mug, and it will drive the entire house batty. LOL!

One of the benefits of my new Cayuen bowl is, its quiet, no clanging! 😁

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hello Kim, hope you are well today!

Yes, I too am sensitive to unnecessary noise, just one of the reasons that I really hate it when some people like to slam doors and drawers in the house. And clinging against a bowl would drive me insane! This is just another reason why I am not a believer in using shave mugs, because all your going to be doing is clanking the brush handle against the ceramic mug, and it will drive the entire house batty. LOL!

One of the benefits of my new Cayuen bowl is, its quiet, no clanging! 😁
Chris... cut it out... you're gonna have me ordering a CaYuen bowl in no time. <eg>

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Chris... cut it out... you're gonna have me ordering a CaYuen bowl in no time. <eg>

Do you see what it says for my title, just under my name? Well, if you could see my shirt, you'd see it says, "ENABLER" Thats my job description, and I'd get fired by the universe, if I didn't do my job, so, consider yourself positively enabled. When you get on the page, if your wife comes in, and she says, "Are you on another shaving shop again?" You can say, "Ohhhhh look at that, how did I end up there, that was terribly convenient, cause look honey, they got exactly what I want, you wouldn't deny my happiness would you?"

😝

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I guess this is where I should have posted my pic’s of my polished
Captain’s Choice Large Copper Bowl.View attachment 1526822View attachment 1526823View attachment 1526824View attachment 1526826View attachment 1526827

That bowl is absolutely gorgeous! I especially love the very bottom of the bowl, see the perfection of those rings with the Captain's Choice logo on it? At first I thought you had the Obsidian bowl because of the leopard like spots, but I noticed that they arn't dark enough, so I am guessing this is the "LARGE" copper bowl.

The beauty of this bowl is, if you drop it, it won't break, you might put a dent in it, but thats about it. Another benefit, from what other's have told me is, you can float this bowl in your sink basin of hot water, and it will naturally heat your lather up like a scuttle. And another benefit is, it looks just so darn good on your shave den counter top, with it full of your favorite lather.

Congratulations, may you enjoy it for many years! 😍

That bowl is absolutely gorgeous! I especially love the very bottom of the bowl, see the perfection of those rings with the Captain's Choice logo on it? At first I thought you had the Obsidian bowl because of the leopard like spots, but I noticed that they arn't dark enough, so I am guessing this is the "LARGE" copper bowl.

The beauty of this bowl is, if you drop it, it won't break, you might put a dent in it, but thats about it. Another benefit, from what other's have told me is, you can float this bowl in your sink basin of hot water, and it will naturally heat your lather up like a scuttle. And another benefit is, it looks just so darn good on your shave den counter top, with it full of your favorite lather.

Congratulations, may you enjoy it for many years! 😍
Thank you very much, I do float it inside another bowl that it fits into perfectly

Just got mine today! I’ll be using it briefly.

The captain thoughtfully sent in a small message and some samples; much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Top Bottom