What's new

Captain's Choice copper shaving/lather bowl. Big thumb's up!

So one of our mods here always posts photos with a copper shaving bowl and I started looking into them. For years, I used an oversized latte/cappuccino mug of white china with a handle where I could slide my thumb through it. Worked fine but a little too tall and clanky with some of my brushes hitting the sides. I recently retired them as I knew my luck would run out at some point and it would land on the tile floor of the bathroom. I went back to one of those Turkish hammered tin and copper plate bowls which are uber cool and work very well. Just a little small for me. And then, I saw the Captain's Choice bowls!

I have medium large hands so the dimensions added up, they are each made by hand (I'm guessing Pakistan or India but CC won't reveal their source). There's a compass rose mounted to an indent on the side so you've got a great point of support for your thumb. I like that it's about 4.5" across the top AND the bottom and about 1.5" tall. The come in light or heavy (I chose the heavy for its flared lip) and you can get them in a few finishes and, it looks like ceramic as well. A seller on ebay has them at the right price with shipping included. Got here 3 days early.

Having only received it after my shave yesterday, I used it today. Wanted to give it a good test so I used my $10 Omega brush that comes with their soap (10065) and a puck of compressed Speick stick into a little ramekin bowl. I think it's been a good six months, maybe more since I used that soap. Took my shower with the brush sitting in a vintage Victor diner mug (if you don't know, google it), shook off the water and went to the puck. I don't do photos but, suffice it to say, within a minute or so after loading the brush I had an ABUNDANCE of creamy lather, more than enough with leftover for my obsessive shaves. I believe this bowl will work equally well with your silvertip brushes as the texture in the bowl are rounded humps that go around the circumference of the bowl.

Anyway, I know a number of people here have them and they might not suit everyone but after decades of wet shaving, I found the bowl!

Captain's Choice Heavyweight Copper Bowl

proxy.php

Congrats and agree it’s a great bowl that will never break.
Copper shine: I recently poured ketchup and salt all over mine, left it for a few minutes then rubbed it in for a few more. Rinsed and voilà, shiny gorgeous copper. Pretty cool change after an enjoyable patina.

They apparently put a lacquer on it and, I think, someone said if you don't leave it on, it will tarnish (so?). Whle I have no plans to strip the lacquer at this point, getting the bowl shiny and polishing it on occasion wouldn't be the worst idea. The lacquer provides good grippiness.

We've got an old copper bowl that's dimensionally wrong for shaving but not lacquered and we, on occasion polish it with whatever polish we have for it.

I have read and seen a lot of posts about the Captain's Choice bowls and have positive responses to my queries about their bowls. And just as I finally made my choice of bowls and it is going to be a Captain's Choice copper bowl, you post your positive usage of their bowls. I am deciding between the heavyweight and the aquamarine/obsidian bowls.

I have read and seen a lot of posts about the Captain's Choice bowls and have positive responses to my queries about their bowls. And just as I finally made my choice of bowls and it is going to be a Captain's Choice copper bowl, you post your positive usage of their bowls. I am deciding between the heavyweight and the aquamarine/obsidian bowls.
I almost went for one with a colored finish but plain copper struck me as more timeless or versatile with regards to decor.

BTW, Scott just replied to an email with regards to the finish. He said they used to use a marine grade spar varnish but, over time, it wore off unevenly. Now, they use a different finish. To quote:"We switched to a product more like a permanent wax and that has performed wonderfully for years now." This is what the finish on my bowl feels like. He also added the admonition to not put them in the dishwasher, just rinse and dry.

As to standard vs. heavy weight. I wanted the flared edge vs. the rolled and they, apparently, had issues making the flared edge in the lighter weight being able to maintain its edge integrity. I doubt one works better than the other but one's foot would probably suffer less if you dropped the lighter, rolled edge version on it... ;)

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have two aquamarine bowls... because my wife ummmm "borrowed" the first one. I use the second one for my car keys, truth be told. I never have to hunt for them.... I put them in the same place every time I come home.

I also love the obsidian bowl. I might end up buying one and actually using it to whip up lather.... but let me tell you, the aquamarine bowls sure look good in a TV room or on top of the butcher block we have in our dining room. Works of art.... not out of place anywhere in the house.

Keep in mind, it's a different experience than using a ceramic bowl or mug. Technique is pretty much the same but the wide and low of the design is different. And yes, these are absolutely works of ar that could be used for many display purposes. One thing I noted, the bottom of mine is not pefectly level on the counter so it doesn't sit solidly without rocking it if you push down on an edge. I could exchange it but decided to think of it as charming instead as it doesn't really matter.

Keep in mind, it's a different experience than using a ceramic bowl or mug. Technique is pretty much the same but the wide and low of the design is different. And yes, these are absolutely works of ar that could be used for many display purposes. One thing I noted, the bottom of mine is not pefectly level on the counter so it doesn't sit solidly without rocking it if you push down on an edge. I could exchange it but decided to think of it as charming instead as it doesn't really matter.
Mine rocks a TINY bit when I press my soap into the center of the bowl, but as you point out it is a "charm"ing hand-hammered bowl.

20220415_170117.jpg

Yours is lovely.
Thanks.

My story is very much like yours, except the Victor. I used a Waffle House mug for a bit.

I mainly bowl lather and have tried a few others before I purchased the CC copper bowl: Amazon copper plated "Turkish" mug, large coffee mugs, vintage Old Spice mug, and various other small bowls and...surprise...the CC bowl is tops.

Top Bottom