What's new

Captain's Choice copper lather bowl update

We did receive schematic drawings so that the two stamps can be made. The one with our compass rose was approved, the other was not. The stamp with the company name on it was too large in diameter at 35 mm. It will be made smaller - hopefully 25 mm. - so that there is plenty of room for the all important rings to be imprinted into the bottom.

Once I receive the revised schematic for the company name stamp and approve it then they will commence making the two stamps. Following that the bowls will be made. Then shipping will take a few weeks. So we are looking at the end of October but I am hopeful it won't be that long.

As you all are aware, the initial run of twenty bowls sold out in a matter of days but there is good news. I have doubled the order from the factory! Twenty are spoken for but we will have another twenty to sell in our store. We are no longer taking names to be on a waiting list. Frankly, it is going to be a bit unwieldy as it is with the current list of twenty customers so I don't need to add to that.

Thank you for your patience as we turn a prototype into a production run.

LOGOS 2.png
LOGOS.png

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for keeping us up to date with the progress of your lather bowls. October can't come fast enough.

Here is how the bowls are created, one at a time by hand. Would you have guessed that a tree trunk is used as a base to do the work?

Recall we are ordering in two versions - one with rolled edge and one with flared edge. We are also ordering in another with a flared edge but it will be twice as heavy and consequently cost more. We had enough interest in the heavier version to warrant adding them to the order. You speak, The Captain listens, The Captain delivers!

The hammered finish is being applied here with a specially embossed hammer. Then the bowl is heated to remove any impurities before it is finished. Pretty amazing, don't you think?

IMG_4351.jpeg
IMG_4354.jpeg

Last edited:
This is incredible. I would have never imagined that it would be produced this way. Gives handcrafted a whole new meaning.

Thanks for sharing.

I appreciate you sharing how the bowls are hand made. Can't wait to get my rolled edge bowl.

Will there be a sign up for the heavier flared edge bowl? Because if there is, I am in!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the update, for some reason I was thinking that they would be made from a machine. I am really impressed.

Good news, bad news here.

Just heard back from the factory this morning on the production copper lather bowls that we hope to have by mid-October. Recall we originally had two designs in the lighter gauge copper, one with a rolled edge and the other with a flared edge. The rolled edge bowls are going together great. Unfortunately the flared edge in the lighter gauge copper have proven to be too brittle and do not impart the needed strength to the top edge of the bowl. So these will not be available in the lighter gauge copper. They will, of course, be available in the heavier gauge copper. These heavier bowls are more expensive but the heavier gauge can have a flared edge and since it is thicker it still imparts the strength needed at the top edge.

~ The Captain

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Just heard back from the factory this morning on the production copper lather bowls that we hope to have by mid-October. Recall we originally had two designs in the lighter gauge copper, one with a rolled edge and the other with a flared edge. The rolled edge bowls are going together great. Unfortunately the flared edge in the lighter gauge copper have proven to be too brittle and do not impart the needed strength to the top edge of the bowl. So these will not be available in the lighter gauge copper. They will, of course, be available in the heavier gauge copper. These heavier bowls are more expensive but the heavier gauge can have a flared edge and since it is thicker it still imparts the strength needed at the top edge.

~ The Captain
Too bad, but thanks for the update sir.

~ The Captain
Hi Captain, thank you for the update. How much heavier will the flared edge bowls be compared to the rolled edge bowls? Also, do you have any pricing information of the two types of bowls? I got in on the B&B offer for a flared edge.

Hi Captain, thank you for the update. How much heavier will the flared edge bowls be compared to the rolled edge bowls? Also, do you have any pricing information of the two types of bowls? I got in on the B&B offer for a flared edge.

The standard bowls weigh five ounce give or take. The heavier ones are twice as heavy at about ten ounce. As to pricing we won't know for certain until they ship. Only then will we have our total cost. They ought to be pretty close to $35.00 for the standard and $51.00 for the heavier one.

Top Bottom