What's new

Captains choice copper bowl

I had a white film develop on my Captains choice heavy copper bowl, I put boiling water in but it reacted with the finish and made matters worse. So I decided to remove the finish with acetone and give it a polish. It came out fine, interested to see how the patina develops. 20190121_111750.jpg

Looks good..any ideas what caused the white film? Moisture getting under the finish perhaps or was it more of a stain? Mines still going strong with the original finish but in saying that its fairly new. Interesting though as I’m guessing its a similar coating that is used by razor manufacturers to seal brass/bronze razors in an attempt to prevent tarnish. Please keep us updated.

Last edited:
Looks great!!!

Mine started losing the lacquer inside the bowl after 30 uses or so and there was some white film where it was coming off and I could scratch it off with my finger nail. There’s now about 1/3 of the finish left inside the bowl. Outside still looks great. If it travels outside I might strip it off as you did. These are wonderful bowls!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’d like to have one of these just for the cool factor. I don’t bowl lather anymore. But this bowl is one of the coolest I’ve seen. The craftsmanship behind it really makes it one of a kind.

Looks great!!!

Mine started losing the lacquer inside the bowl after 30 uses or so and there was some white film where it was coming off and I could scratch it off with my finger nail. There’s now about 1/3 of the finish left inside the bowl. Outside still looks great. If it travels outside I might strip it off as you did. These are wonderful bowls!

That's disappointing, it's such a great looking bowl, i wish someone would produce something similar in stainless.

Looks good..any ideas what caused the white film? Moisture getting under the finish perhaps or was it more of a stain? Mines still going strong with the original finish but in saying that its fairly new. Interesting though as I’m guessing its a similar coating that is used by razor manufacturers to seal brass/bronze razors in an attempt to prevent tarnish. Please keep us updated.
There was a white greasy film left from a new cream I was trying, I poured boiling water from the kettle in but too hot and the finish turned cloudy. I love the bowl and to be honest I like it even more now it's shiny. I doubt I'll be bothered to keep it that way though, I shall see how it turns out and post pics in the future.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I’d like to have one of these just for the cool factor. I don’t bowl lather anymore. But this bowl is one of the coolest I’ve seen. The craftsmanship behind it really makes it one of a kind.
It is a great looking bowl for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wow, in stainless? man, when I was working in industries using stainless the idea was as smooth as a mirror, and welds as clean and smoothly flowing as a 1/8" bead of tub caulk smoothed to be nearly invisible with the body steel around it... Oh I ya, beat work on stainless to replicate that on copper - truly a serious investment of craftsmanship and likely hugely expensive. ... or? not? depending on computer-controlled machining equipment these days?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They are fantastic bowls. I face lather my soaps but I do enjoy using the Copper Lather Bowl for Creams. It is just a well made product and it fits great in my hand.

They are fantastic bowls. I face lather my soaps but I do enjoy using the Copper Lather Bowl for Creams. It is just a well made product and it fits great in my hand.
+1 They are excellent bowls. I use mine for creams & samples. I also pull out the bowl & use on occasion instead of face lathering.

Now that I have a Captain's copper lather bowl, I don't need another bowl, & my other bowls are obsolete!

Love the bowl.

I have the lighter one for travel and use the heavy one as a daily driver.

Finish is looking good but I have only had them for a short time.

Older thread, sorry!

My best friend stole my Captain's Choice ceramic bowl in gunmetal (not really, I told him to grab it if that's what he wanted. Didn't think he would...) So I ordered 2 bowls, a Blue Sky and a Copper Heavy Weight. Recieved them today. Both are really great looking bowls. More ridges and aggressive ridges in the ceramic vs the Copper. They all differ in size due to being handmade. My Copper is slightly larger. I am glad I got the Heavy Weight Copper, I dont have a scale but they are so similar in weight I can't tell a difference. If you like the weight of the ceramic, go with the Heavy Weight. I don't think you could crack or deform the Heavy in any way, shape or form if you dropped it. Very happy with this purchase. Sorry, the lighting sucks in the garage!
20190425_204616.jpg

Top Bottom