What's new

Captain's Choice contest for the holidays - you pick!

I am in!

The best gift I have been given was by my girlfriend on my 24th birthday. Knowing my love for Texas, born and bred, she bought me a flag that flew over the state Capitol on my birthday! It was an amazing gift I will cherish forever!

Best gift I ever got was a plane ticket home to see the family. Not only that, the rest of the family flew in as well. Very unexpected :)

Day three and our winners still do not know they have won.

Shall we start a little side deal and try to guess how long until they all three have claimed their prizes?

I say it won't be until Saturday. Busy Thanksgiving, plus all that is "Black Friday"...not that the fellas are out shopping, but I know my schedule is pretty full 'til then. Congrats to the winners, CLAIM THOSE PRIZES!

The best money I've ever spent on a gift $Vintage estate find.JPG was this estate find set given to the girl I dated in college. It took me 33 years to find her again and there's never been a cross word between us. I know this is too late for the contest but we just celebrated our first anniversary in September.

Last edited:
Wow, I am honored to have been selected by The Captain as one of the winners for this contest! In all of the Thanksgiving festivities I lost track of when this contest ended, so sorry for the delayed response! I've always been very intrigued by a particular aftershave, but I've not yet pulled the trigger - but this is my chance to try it! Therefore, I'm super excited to have a bottle of Cat O' Nine Tails on the way!!!
I can't wait to try this…. huge thanks to The Captain!

- Badger Bill

I say it won't be until Saturday. Busy Thanksgiving, plus all that is "Black Friday"...not that the fellas are out shopping, but I know my schedule is pretty full 'til then. Congrats to the winners, CLAIM THOSE PRIZES!

See? It was Saturday...I win the side bet! Not that I'm competitive or anything...
Congrats, fellas.

Darn late again LOL. I have the Bay Rum and Cat O' Nine Tails aftershave. And use them both every week. I was hoping to win a Lime.

I am in. Would love to try the soap. A great gift is one you use everyday. My wife gave me an espresso maker that I have been using for years.
Thanks, Glen

Mines a long one, and one that might be uncomfortable to some, but it is the best gift I ever could have asked for.

My 10 year old son was stricken with cancer back in '95, and after 2 surgeries and months of chemo, we were told he had 6 months to a year left. We did all the things that parents in that situation do - Disney World through Make-A-Wish, as much time with hiim as we could find (I took almost 2 months off from work with pay thanks to a great employer), and just soaking up his presence. We were up front with him, and told him everything the Dr's told us, including the prognosis. He was amazingly upbeat every step of the way, and even planned out what his final clothing would be. He was so worried about making sure everyone else wasn't hurting over his illness, that it never appeared that he himself was even close to being afraid - but in the last few weeks I began to think about the possibility of his bearing fear all alone in order to ensure everyone else was OK. I went to him one day and told him it was OK to be afraid, and asked if he wanted to talk with me about it. He was quiet for a minute, then smiled and said "Dad, do you remember going to Disney World?" When I answered yes, he said "We took a plane to get there...this is my plane ticket to God, why would I be afraid?"

That gift was something nothing else could give me - the peace of mind that he was OK, and that, though we would miss him, he knew where he was going, and was happy to go there. How could I be afraid for him when he was looking forward to the journey? Anyway, that one conversation is something I have kept close to my heart every day since, and there is nothing I could be given on this earth that will ever top that...

I know this is a fun thread, and this is not meant to be a downer...simply a retelling of an amazing gift, and one that still puts a smile on my face with each rememberance.

(Sorry, I see this is over, but it's still my "gift") ;)

Top Bottom