What's new

Captain's Choice contest for the holidays - you pick!

Thank you for telling your story of an amazing gift. It was not a downer just the opposite!!!!!!!!!! Again, thanks.

Mines a long one, and one that might be uncomfortable to some, but it is the best gift I ever could have asked for.

My 10 year old son was stricken with cancer back in '95, and after 2 surgeries and months of chemo, we were told he had 6 months to a year left. We did all the things that parents in that situation do - Disney World through Make-A-Wish, as much time with hiim as we could find (I took almost 2 months off from work with pay thanks to a great employer), and just soaking up his presence. We were up front with him, and told him everything the Dr's told us, including the prognosis. He was amazingly upbeat every step of the way, and even planned out what his final clothing would be. He was so worried about making sure everyone else wasn't hurting over his illness, that it never appeared that he himself was even close to being afraid - but in the last few weeks I began to think about the possibility of his bearing fear all alone in order to ensure everyone else was OK. I went to him one day and told him it was OK to be afraid, and asked if he wanted to talk with me about it. He was quiet for a minute, then smiled and said "Dad, do you remember going to Disney World?" When I answered yes, he said "We took a plane to get there...this is my plane ticket to God, why would I be afraid?"

That gift was something nothing else could give me - the peace of mind that he was OK, and that, though we would miss him, he knew where he was going, and was happy to go there. How could I be afraid for him when he was looking forward to the journey? Anyway, that one conversation is something I have kept close to my heart every day since, and there is nothing I could be given on this earth that will ever top that...

I know this is a fun thread, and this is not meant to be a downer...simply a retelling of an amazing gift, and one that still puts a smile on my face with each rememberance.

(Sorry, I see this is over, but it's still my "gift") ;)

This is without doubt the best thing I've read for a long time. Thanks

An Atomic Fireball jawbreaker that my best bud gave me 28 or so years ago when I kept asking him when he was going to eat it. We have regifted it to each other at every major life event and it now sits in my wife's jewelry box (still in the wrapper mind you) waiting for his 40th birthday.

Mines a long one, and one that might be uncomfortable to some, but it is the best gift I ever could have asked for.

My 10 year old son was stricken with cancer back in '95, and after 2 surgeries and months of chemo, we were told he had 6 months to a year left. We did all the things that parents in that situation do - Disney World through Make-A-Wish, as much time with hiim as we could find (I took almost 2 months off from work with pay thanks to a great employer), and just soaking up his presence. We were up front with him, and told him everything the Dr's told us, including the prognosis. He was amazingly upbeat every step of the way, and even planned out what his final clothing would be. He was so worried about making sure everyone else wasn't hurting over his illness, that it never appeared that he himself was even close to being afraid - but in the last few weeks I began to think about the possibility of his bearing fear all alone in order to ensure everyone else was OK. I went to him one day and told him it was OK to be afraid, and asked if he wanted to talk with me about it. He was quiet for a minute, then smiled and said "Dad, do you remember going to Disney World?" When I answered yes, he said "We took a plane to get there...this is my plane ticket to God, why would I be afraid?"

That gift was something nothing else could give me - the peace of mind that he was OK, and that, though we would miss him, he knew where he was going, and was happy to go there. How could I be afraid for him when he was looking forward to the journey? Anyway, that one conversation is something I have kept close to my heart every day since, and there is nothing I could be given on this earth that will ever top that...

I know this is a fun thread, and this is not meant to be a downer...simply a retelling of an amazing gift, and one that still puts a smile on my face with each rememberance.

(Sorry, I see this is over, but it's still my "gift") ;)

You have brought a tear to my eye, and I must express my deepest sympathy. As a father of two, I can imagine no greater pain.

Contest is over, but my favorite gifting experience involves an internet forum like this one. It's a guitar forum, and a fairly close-knit group, including a wonderful fellow who lives in Bosnia. Elvir (user name "Littlefloor" if you care to peruse the thread) is a school teacher and the somewhat corrupt government doesn't always pay him. He had to sell his beloved stratocaster to feed his family. One of the members PM'ed me suggesting that they all contribute parts to me and that I build him a replica, and that's what we did. I started a thread, and not knowing the guitar was for him, he unwittingly provided me with all the specifications I needed to provide him with his own completely customized guitar. If you read the thread, bear in mind that everyone was in on it except Littlefloor.

http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?16727-Here-We-Go-Again-Oly-White-Strat!

My favorite gift (other than my daughter, of course) would have been my Fatboy razor. It was given to me by my mother, after I told her of my interest in wet shaving. Of course, she didn't know what I was describing, so originally she bought me a straight razor. (some unknown brand from china). But she really came through on the F1 Fatboy.

You have brought a tear to my eye, and I must express my deepest sympathy. As a father of two, I can imagine no greater pain.

Contest is over, but my favorite gifting experience involves an internet forum like this one. It's a guitar forum, and a fairly close-knit group, including a wonderful fellow who lives in Bosnia. Elvir (user name "Littlefloor" if you care to peruse the thread) is a school teacher and the somewhat corrupt government doesn't always pay him. He had to sell his beloved stratocaster to feed his family. One of the members PM'ed me suggesting that they all contribute parts to me and that I build him a replica, and that's what we did. I started a thread, and not knowing the guitar was for him, he unwittingly provided me with all the specifications I needed to provide him with his own completely customized guitar. If you read the thread, bear in mind that everyone was in on it except Littlefloor.

http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?16727-Here-We-Go-Again-Oly-White-Strat!

I also had a tear to my eye reading Shamrock's story. As a father with a soon to be one year old, I can't imagine the pain felt by losing a child but am so glad that he knew that heaven was to be his new home and the strength he showed for not only himself, but for his family and friends. God bless!

Tele: thanks for the link to the other story. I wish I was still reading guitar forums and had seen this thread. I have built several guitars (mostly teles like my avatar) back when I played and also live in Virginia, so I would have loved to offer any assistance I could. Thank you and the others that chipped in for doing such a great thing.

In my short time here at B&B, I've seen so many with a giving heart that I'm so proud to be a small part of such a great community. I want to thank all for your continued efforts to help those less fortunate.

Captain please count me in. The favorite gift I've given was to my long time childhood friend and his wife. We (my wife and I) made a set of leaded bevel glass windows for their entryway sidelights. We able to sneak in and install them as a surprise.

Attachments

• $Frank.jpg
    $Frank.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 109
Only 1.5 hours away from you in Bassett, near Martinsville. Spent six great years at VT myself and one day hope to move back to Blacksburg.

I am in.

Nicest gift I received was getting married to my wife September 2, 1989 which has been exciting, filled with love and a wonderful experience!!!

My favorite gift(s) I can recall- When I was younger, my parents didn't have much $, but they always made Christmas a big time. My Brother and I didn't realize at the time, as we always had a great Christmas. I remember back in The late 70's, when Star Wars came out, my Brother and I had a Star Wars Christmas. You name it, we got it. Figures, ships, weapons, sheets, towels, on and on. We racked up a huge list of Star Wars gear. I was either 7 or 8, but I remember that one and will remember forever. I probably appreciate it more now, as I know my folks didn't have the money to do that type of thing, yet they still made Christmas such a big ordeal every year.

Great contest, Merry Christmas everyone!!

i'm in!

Dan

Mine BEST Christmas gift was back in 1993 and arrived 4 days before Christmas on 21 Dec. My Son-
He turned 20 this past Saturday, in college and working full time for the Texas Dept of Transportation.
He's been driving our minisprint race car since he was 13.
He crew chiefed for a local late model driver for 3 yrs while in high school, traveling around the South.
As you can tell, I'm VERY proud of him and his accomplishments. He's the best thing that ever happened to me and am proud to call
him my son.

Top Bottom