What's new

Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails Review

For interest of full disclosure: I love Captain's Choice Bay Rum. It is top notch. Personally, I like a spicy/clove smelling bay rum, so I didn't think I would like Captain's Choice once I smelled it. Boy was I wrong! If you are a bay rum lover, this is a must-have in the den.

When I saw Cat O' Nine Tails and read the description, I had to have it. My hope was that it was similar to the original with that clove smell infused. There is a negative to this aftershave, and that is that it did not have the clove scent. However, that is the only negative I could find.

About the splash itself. First, the scent: It is remarkably similar to the original, but there is added depth and body to it. It's like a more robust Captain's Choice. So while it did not meet my expectations in terms of the clove smell that I love, it is certainly a spicier, darker, warmer scent than the original.

Second, the packaging. My major gripe with the original bay rum was that there was not a stopper in the bottle, so it was difficult to pour the right amount. More than once I lost some valuable bay rum down the drain due to this. My complaint was heard, and the bottle now has a stopper! I also like the dark glass bottle, instead of the clear bottle on the original. It's a nice touch to the aftershave.

Finally, the performance. This bay rum is exceptional! It is as good or better than the original. When you first put it on, there is a burn there not present with the original. It's a lot like Clubman's VIBR, but not as sharp. The burn is the right amount. After the burn, the captain goes to work. The splash provides a nice soothing feeling to the skin and is very moisturizing. Like the original, there is witch hazel, so there is a feel of skin tightening with this splash as well. Personally, I like that feeling, but I know others don't. And finally, there is the scent. It is long-lasting and stays with you for much of the day. Five hours into the day and it is still going strong.

Another exceptional aftershave by Scott. Now I need to find the right soap to pair the splash with. The original pairs perfectly with Mystic Waters Bay Rum Soap. No luck yet with Cat O' Nine Tails.

Well done Captain! I look forward to your next creation.

I've been using Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails and I have to admit, the scent is the best I've tried. I'm totally hooked on it for scent alone, which also seems to last for hours on my skin (huge bonus there!). But I don't seem to get any burn at all, not even a building warmth, which I find disappointing. Still not a deal-breaker for me, I can see this being my daily go-to aftershave for the foreseeable future based solely on the incredible scent and longevity.

Now if I could just get some Captain's Choice bay rum shaving soap!

I am waiting for the Lime to come out. That is a must have. I love Captain's Choice. A great den addition.

Kirk

Co9T - Oh my yes. It's my favorite aftershave right now. I have to force myself to use other stuff in the den just so I don't feel like I'm letting my AS investments go to waste.

Co9T - Oh my yes. It's my favorite aftershave right now. I have to force myself to use other stuff in the den just so I don't feel like I'm letting my AS investments go to waste.

Pretty soon, you may be "forcing" yourself to use Captain's Choice Lime if it is as good as Co9T.

Pretty soon, you may be "forcing" yourself to use Captain's Choice Lime if it is as good as Co9T.

Oh, I'm primed and ready for the Lime. No forcing necessary.

The other day I told SWMBO that I feel somewhat bad about rotating through so many different aftershaves. I wondered if I should just settle on one "signature" scent and call it a day. But she said, "Nah. I may not like all of them, but there's no reason to be stuck on just one." It's good to have the wife's permission to play the field! She likes the bay rums, though, so I can wear them as often as I like.

Belatedly, thanks for the review, k2. I'm three hours into my first use of the Co9T, and I'm loving it.--wife, not so much. The only bay rum I've tried previously is Pinaud VIBR, which I like very much, but I'm finding Co9T to be superior in both fragrance and feel. The Co9T to me smells more natural, earthy in its composition, without the abundant clove content and sweetness of the VIBR. In terms of feel, I put it right up there with Speick, soft and smooth but not tacky. Sillage is good after three hours. I'm a teacher and I find that the scent remains in the classroom upon re-entry, but not in an overbearing, off-putting way, simply as a pleasant, subtle reminder. Now if I can just bring my wife around to it now that it's lain down a bit.

Great review, thanks. Scents are hard to describe and you've done a good job not only with the scent but face feel, packaging, etc.

Belatedly, thanks for the review, k2. I'm three hours into my first use of the Co9T, and I'm loving it.--wife, not so much. The only bay rum I've tried previously is Pinaud VIBR, which I like very much, but I'm finding Co9T to be superior in both fragrance and feel. The Co9T to me smells more natural, earthy in its composition, without the abundant clove content and sweetness of the VIBR. In terms of feel, I put it right up there with Speick, soft and smooth but not tacky. Sillage is good after three hours. I'm a teacher and I find that the scent remains in the classroom upon re-entry, but not in an overbearing, off-putting way, simply as a pleasant, subtle reminder. Now if I can just bring my wife around to it now that it's lain down a bit.
+1, one of the greats!

I bought a bottle of this over the weekend, and am duly impressed. I was looking with a Bay Rum with minimal / no heavy clove scent, and this delivers.

Very strong ... doesn't burn as much as advertised, but I didn't buy it for that reason, so it's all good.

I used the last of my CO9T sample today, and I think it's one I'm going to have to keep stocked. Performance is top notch, and the scent is great. It even passed the wife test (which is very hard to pass). I really liked all of the CC samples I got but this one is the best. The one thing I think it lacks is menthol.... I can never get enough menthol in an aftershave. After dropping in a small menthol crystal I get a nice alcohol burn to tell me it's working, along with an eye watering menthol sensation. Counteractive? I dont think so.

Top Bottom