What's new

Captain's Choice Bay Rum problems

Hello everyone!
I've been having a problem with this particular AS lately and I wanted to ask you for your opinions.

I started using this AS a few weeks ago and I liked the scent and light stinging sensation even though I'm not a huge fan of the clover, which after a few minutes fades away leaving a more pleasant scent - at least for me-

I'm comparing it to the Penhaligon's AS Splash which it has a stronger and sharper sting at first, but lately, the Captain's choice is giving me a way more intense burning feeling, to the point that I have to wash it away and put some balm on my face.

I don't get any redness or any thing of the sort, it's just burning. I have no idea why this is as I've applied it after a cold water rinse and also after a cold water + which hazel splash.

Anyone else having the same issues with this AS? Any ideas why it could be happening now and not since day 1?

Cheers.

E.

I use the Captain's Choice Bay Rum once a week, but have never experienced such a strong burn that I want to wash it off.

Do you use alum before applying? I use the alum, and as it shrinks/closes pores it may cut down on the burn.

I have an alum pen which I use on nicks and cuts, but I've also applied it after using some which hazel and the result was the same.

When I've had some bad shaves (horrible razor and technique). Captain's CO9T, ogallala and VIBR have bruned so bad I was almost in tears, then went numb. Kinda fun actually. But with a Personna Med / Lab or Feather in the Fatip, the burn is not harsh at all.

Hummm...stay away from their Cat o 9 Tails then lol. I use CO9T my first bay rum, it is lovely and the burn lights you up and wakes you up for sure. I've never had such a burn to where I had to wash it off...unsure what this may be...low pain tolerance? lol Joking, I doubt that, but unsure how to help in this regard.

If it burns more than it used to you must be getting a bad shave or at least taking off a layer of skin. Have you switched to hot water with the colder season? That opens pores more so you could try a COLD water rinse before applying AS

Bay rums often have a "warming" effect that is distinct from the initial alcohol "sting" that is common to most aftershaves. I think this is due to the different oils that are used for bay rum AS. Your experience isn't uncommon, have you tried other bay rum AS before? I don't get much burn from Dominica or the Ogallala BR Sage & Cedar splashes.

Top Bottom