What's new

Captain's Choice Bay Rum - A Review

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I recently won a contest on the Captain's Choice Vendors board, and as usual I'll do a review, or reviews as it is.

IMG_2165.jpg IMG_2167.jpg IMG_2169.jpg IMG_2170.jpg IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2172.jpg

I love every Captain's Choice product I've yet used and my collection of them is growing at a somewhat surprising rate. I'm sure that will come as no surprise to those of you that do use the products Scott makes.

Nicely, securely and professionally packaged as is everything Scott sends out I'm sure.

First I want to mention the bowl. Its a "second" and I cant find a flaw in it other than the colour of the glazing isnt consistent around the outside of the bowl. The bowl itself is really quite nice. When I first opened the box it was in I was a little taken back by its size. It seems small, but it really isnt. It fits in the hand really well and I didnt find it slippery at all holding it in a wet hand and building my lather.

It could be bigger, but it doesnt need to be. It could be taller, but again it doesnt need to be. It has nice weight to it as it is a clay bowl.

If I could change or add one thing to it, it would be a rubber ring maybe a 1/4" tall around the bottom edge where the finished bowl came off the wheel. I have a porcelain sink and when I set the bowl down on the corner of it, as I always do with my bowl, I need to do that gently out of worry I might chip or crack it. A rubber ring would also stop the bowl from sliding around on the porcelain as I reload my brush.

Outside of that honestly small quibble, it does exactly what its meant too do, make lather, and the ridges inside help make that lather at least twice as fast as my smooth bowl does.

IMG_2173.JPGIMG_2175.JPG

My brush is an Omega 10005 boar and I've been using it since early May of this year. It easily holds enough lather for a 6 pass shave if need be. With any of the Captain's Choices creams or soaps I've used, all lather really well and a lot of product isnt needed to make more than enough lather.

The lather of these creams amazes me in their slickness and body. Dense, rich, slick and yet light. Not heavy or dry and the residual slickness, and especially the post shave feel I find is exceptional.

I really like 45th Parallel and its one cream I'll always have some of. I also like North, but its a scent I dont use as often. Its very bold in a wintry kind of way.

The Bay Rum cream, wow. I've been curious about it for a while and now that I've used and smelled it, its yet another outstanding product.

The scent is bold and confident. In your face in a dark spicy way. Its deep, rich, and compelling. Its as strong as the North cream but in a completely different way.

Imagine you just had a drink of this

352458.jpg
and with that smell still in your nose, you opened this
Vintage cedar chest redo.jpg
to find it was filled with spices.

Thats the image that came to mind while I was building my lather today. I'll also add that while I was building that lather, the scent of this cream filled by bathroom and even now an hour or so later I still catch a whiff now and then of it on my skin. Its light, but its there.

Well done again Scott and thank you very much!

Nicely! I ordered their iconic bay rhum splash a ways back, but was a bit unsure about the clovey bay smell. Now that the weather is cooling off, I think I'll circle back and give it another try :001_rolle

FWIW, The Captain also has matching "Soap Lockers".

I don't really need it, but I'm tempted to snag one to match my bowl because they're both so very nicely made.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I wasnt sure what a soap locker was until I checked them out on the website. They are much nicer than my 3/$1 plastic ones lol.

I've got a growing Captain's Choice collection too. I bought a "second" lather bowl about a year ago. The glaze seems to be a bit darker on the emblem, other than that it's perfect and a great bowl for building a good lather. I've got Lime cream and splash and bay rum soap and splash as well as North splash now. All are super quality.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah, I'm really liking his creams. I guess I have CAD haha.

I actually like the inconsistent color of the bowl, looks vintage already. Looks like the shave bowl you'd find in a hidden chest of a sunken pirate ship... Guess that's fitting considering it's a CC product haha.

Never used his soaps or creams but I've tried both the regular bay rum and the co9t splashes and loved both of them. Classic bay rum scent and some of the best soothing properties of any splash I've ever used.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I actually like the inconsistent color of the bowl, looks vintage already. Looks like the shave bowl you'd find in a hidden chest of a sunken pirate ship... Guess that's fitting considering it's a CC product haha.

Never used his soaps or creams but I've tried both the regular bay rum and the co9t splashes and loved both of them. Classic bay rum scent and some of the best soothing properties of any splash I've ever used.

I agree and find the bowl even more unique than it may have been otherwise.

The Captain's Choice creams are really it for me. There are only a few others that I'd like to try and only out of curiosity. Castle Forbes, Acqua di Parma and AoS because I hear so much good about them. I could happily shave for the rest of my days with Scotts creams.

The scent of his Bay Rum has been on my mind since I used it for this review. Its a bit strong but I like that and for the last two days I've found myself missing it. That says a lot.

I agree and find the bowl even more unique than it may have been otherwise.

The Captain's Choice creams are really it for me. There are only a few others that I'd like to try and only out of curiosity. Castle Forbes, Acqua di Parma and AoS because I hear so much good about them. I could happily shave for the rest of my days with Scotts creams.

The scent of his Bay Rum has been on my mind since I used it for this review. Its a bit strong but I like that and for the last two days I've found myself missing it. That says a lot.

Same here, my only complaint with the splashes are the scent longevity. Now a classic Bay Rum isn't supposed to have a lengthy lingering scent so he did hit the nail on the head but still a longer lasting version would be cool.

Great review and some nice pics. Captain's Choice makes excellent products, and the customer service and care Scott takes with every order puts him in the upper echelon of wet shaving craftsmen/vendors.

I want to make a review on my Captain's Choice lather bowl. Being unsure of the exact rules, I look to see what other's reviews may look like. I come across this one. Perhaps instead of make my own, I will add to this one. Those who have not seen these comments can see them as well as mine and have a more thorough review in 1 handy place! Plus I am not positive how loading pics of my own would turn out.

-My bowl looks just like this 1 only in the Sand Storm design. As stated the packaging is neat and sufficient.
-The short sides are perfect to keep my knuckles and the handle of my brush in the clear no matter how vigorous (careless LOL) I get when whipping up a lather.
-It is, to me, the perfect size. Big enough to hold more than adequate amount of lather, but not so big that a functional amount of lather looks non existent in the bowl.
-It seems to be the right size and weight to sit securely in my hand without the fear of it slipping from my grip.
-The ribbed bottom seemed to aid in whipping up a lather in half the time and of better quality than I am used to. I used the same soap and procedure as I always use and only changed from a smooth mug to the ribbed lather bowl.
-It looks, to my untrained eye anyway, like a quality piece of art or decoration while also being very functional and practical to use.

I am not well versed in shaving products, but my opinion of the Captains Choice lather bowl is WOW. I cannot speak much to how it compares in price/quality to other similar bowls. I can however say this particular bowl is well worth the price in my opinion. If you are looking for a bowl, I would highly recommend this one. If you are not, I would say get it anyway HAHA. When I put it in my hand, it puts a smile on my face.

Great product and wonderful people to deal with. I look forward to trying more products from Captains Choice and already have a few picked out!

Nice review. All of his products as well as his customer service and attitude are top notch. I have one of the ceramic mugs he made also and it's great. If I ever break my Captain's Choice ceramic bowl, assuming I didn't already cave and buy the copper version, the copper will probably be ordered before I find all the broken pieces.

I have used samples of the bay rum and will be honest; I didn't love it. Performance is of course great, but I'm not wild about bay rum scents that have that strong of a clove aspect to them.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have used samples of the bay rum and will be honest; I didn't love it. Performance is of course great, but I'm not wild about bay rum scents that have that strong of a clove aspect to them.

It is strong. Many of the scents he makes are fairly strong though. Even the mild ones like 45th Parallel and Lime are very deep and rich.

Scott is a good guy who makes nice products.

He will remain so, unless he stops making his Sandalwood lol.

marvinmovie08.jpg

Only "scent" I have tried thus far is Venture. I found it to be very subtle but pleasant. I have it in the soap, after shave, and balm. All very pleasing products. No complaints at all.

Top Bottom