What's new

Captain's Choice 45th Parallel - A Review

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Once again this may be a lengthy post, so bear with me.

I was so impressed with the Captains Choice North cream sample I tried that right away I started looking for and reading reviews of his creams. I didnt find as many as I hoped too, but I did read that many think of the 45th Parallel as a "food" type scent and specifically chocolate covered Cherries so I felt I had to try it as I enjoy those types of scent profiles.

I ordered a tub from Maggards and was excited to try it. When I did try it, I found the scent underwhelming. Very light, much lighter than the North sample and certainly not as bold, nor as lingering. So I sent The Captain himself a PM as he's a vendor on this forum and explained to him my thoughts. He replied right away, apologized for my experience and promptly put another tub in the mail for me, only asking that I leave a review of it. So, here I am once again.

When the parcel from him arrived to me in Canada, very quickly I might add, it was professionally packaged as one would expect. On opening it I found the tub quickly in among all the packing peanuts and just caught a glimpse of something else white on the bottom of the box. I had to dig around a bit to find it, but I found a very nice surprise. Not only did he send me the tub of 45th, he also sent me another sample of North, and a sample each of Sandalwood and Lime, along with a handwritten note.

IMG_1906.JPG

This is the type of customer service, and care, I very much appreciate and given the fact that his products are of such quality, I wont hesitate in ordering from him in the future!

On to todays shave...

I've been wanting try my Gillette post war Tech and a Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge(Yellow) for quite some time so today was the day.

IMG_2040.jpg

I bowl lather with an Omega 10005 boar brush, soaked and well shaken out, then I dipped the tips into the tub, dipped them into water and proceeded to make my lather.

I should add that I soak my brush a good while in hot water, 10-15 minutes and thoroughly shook it out so it was just damp.

A little bit of cream goes a long way and I was easily able to load my brush for what I expected to be a full 3 pass shave with 2-3 cleanups.

Start the first WTG pass and was struck by how smooth it went. Some of that I'm sure falls to the razor and the blade of choice, but without a good lather, that smoothness wont be there.

Second pass XTG and more of the same, smooth and comfortable.

Third pass again, smooth, slick and comfortable, no surprises.

Fourth, fifth and sixth buffing passes all on my neck and jawline ATG went the same. No lather issues. It didnt fall apart and my last buffing passes the lather was as slick and rich as my first. I will say that I used much less lather on my last (third) buffing pass and really the residual slickness and a touch of water was more than enough. My last clean up over the points of my chin I didnt even lather, only wet my hand, shook the drops off and smoothed out any remaining lather.

The finish, as always with the right combination, BBS with cool comfortable skin, but like I said in my review of the North cream, the post shave feel is something I've thus far only felt with Captain's Choice creams and still not sure how to describe it, but just a very strong feeling of being clean.

The scent...
Chocolate covered cherries, sort of. To me its more like...

3179924116_22537f4b3a_b.jpg

Or maybe...

c1633ad390969f4a08cc447ef92df6c9.jpg

Either way its light and sweet, but at the same time deep, delicious and not powdery. I'm finding I dont really like the powdery scents so much now and none of these creams have that powdery scent to them. Its really hard to explain, but this scent is light, airy and yet deep and rich. Its very compelling.

I personally would prefer a stronger scent, even if it lingered, which it doesnt at all. With the North cream I could still catch a whiff of it over an hour after shaving with it. Not the case with 45th Parallel.

So, in summary; Another top shelf product from someone I'm thinking is among the best in the business, and I dont say that lightly. Scott is a great guy that values his customers. Thats becoming a rare trait in todays world. He makes an outstanding product and going by the scents of his Lime and Sandalwood, North and 45th Parallel arent the only two standouts in his field of products.

I'll also add this as I believe it an important fact. On opening each sample for a smell, I almost spilled the Sandalwood. Its viscosity is quite thin. I thought North was a slightly thin cream, the 45th is a slightly thicker viscosity than North, but the Sandalwood is very thin. More a thick liquid than a cream, and the Lime is more like almost a soft soap, or croap I suppose is the term.

I asked Scott why the variance in viscosity among the creams. His reply to me was that he only uses natural essential oils and because of that, the oils he does use affect the overall viscosity of differently scented creams in different ways. He went on to explain that if he used synthetic oils, the viscosity may be more consistent across the scent profiles.

The ingredient list as shown on the label.

IMG_2041.jpg

To that, in my review of his North cream I stated that the sample I have had a distinct antiseptic or clinical scent to it. On the sample Scott sent me, that is much reduced and on smelling it, it smells the same as the first sample I tried, after I lathered it.

On exploring this Scott and I both feel that, to use his words, the first sample was an "odd duck" and I agree. Perhaps it was the high heat we had here at the time affected it somehow, I dont know.

What I do know is, he makes a fantastic product.

To Scott. Thank you for doing what you did, and, what you do. You do it very well!

Love that product, I like the soap vs. the cream as I think the soap lasts longer. Both are awesome, my sons enjoy it as well.

-Stephen

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Love that product, I like the soap vs. the cream as I think the soap lasts longer. Both are awesome, my sons enjoy it as well.

-Stephen

You've used both, good, I can ask you.

Do you find the soap and the cream both have the very same scent or is one different than the other and how would you describe the difference if there is any?

I was part of the original testers here on B&B. Then later on, I won the cream in a Facebook contest and I used all the cream prior to buying the soap. I didn't have a good direct comparison of the two as I didn't have them at the same time.

IIRC, I didn't notice any significant difference between the two. If you cornered me with a boar brush and threatened my Parker Variant I'd have to say the following: "The cream has the slight edge as to having been stronger in scent, lingered a bit longer and may hold a slight edge toward lathering up faster."

This might be due to the nature of the differences between the products. I am no expert even in how they're made so someone more qualified would have to answer that. :)

I'd recommend both products to anyone and while I love my Arko, the Captain's is superior (gasp!) to it.

-Stephen

p.s. Btw, great review too

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was part of the original testers here on B&B. Then later on, I won the cream in a Facebook contest and I used all the cream prior to buying the soap. I didn't have a good direct comparison of the two as I didn't have them at the same time.

IIRC, I didn't notice any significant difference between the two. If you cornered me with a boar brush and threatened my Parker Variant I'd have to say the following: "The cream has the slight edge as to having been stronger in scent, lingered a bit longer and may hold a slight edge toward lathering up faster."

This might be due to the nature of the differences between the products. I am no expert even in how they're made so someone more qualified would have to answer that. :)

I'd recommend both products to anyone and while I love my Arko, the Captain's is superior (gasp!) to it.

-Stephen

p.s. Btw, great review too

Thanks for the reply. Not noticing a significant difference is enough for me and what I wanted to know, thanks.

Great review! :a14:

You're both welcome!

Nice review. I agree, Scott provides excellent customer service and a great product.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks, and yes, nice guy and great customer service!

I've been sitting here reading and thinking and it occurs to me I feel a bit spoiled when I use these creams. Theres something to them that makes them stand above the other soaps I have and use and I find myself reaching for this tub more often than not. The Lime was a refreshing surprise too, and I'll post a review of it soon along with the Sandalwood.

I've been sitting here reading and thinking and it occurs to me I feel a bit spoiled when I use these creams. Theres something to them that makes them stand above the other soaps I have and use and I find myself reaching for this tub more often than not. The Lime was a refreshing surprise too, and I'll post a review of it soon along with the Sandalwood.

Would love to hear more about the Lime, I had a sample of it and I liked it a lot. Just haven't pulled the trigger on buying it.

-Stephen

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Would love to hear more about the Lime, I had a sample of it and I liked it a lot. Just haven't pulled the trigger on buying it.

-Stephen

That will be next but I'm still trying to pin down the scent lol. I only have a single shave with it so far and the performance was the same as North and 45th so no surprise there. The scent was a fresh, crisp, sharp and refreshing citrus scent but I need another use or two before I can really say.

The Sandalwood struck me as smelling really nice. Rich, dark and deep, but I'm not use to these scents and have only used very few of the more "standard" type scents and of those, only Stirling soaps and samples.

I will say that I am really enjoying all of these scents. They take the simple act of shaving to another level.

Excellent review and story. That kind of customer service and individual care is what puts a manufacturer/vendor a step above. Scott makes a fantastic product, and he clearly cares about the people that use it. I love the scent and performance of 45th Parallel. I haven't tried any of his other creams yet, but I have a couple of his aftershaves and they are also high quality.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Excellent review and story. That kind of customer service and individual care is what puts a manufacturer/vendor a step above. Scott makes a fantastic product, and he clearly cares about the people that use it. I love the scent and performance of 45th Parallel. I haven't tried any of his other creams yet, but I have a couple of his aftershaves and they are also high quality.

I very much agree. He even checked back to make sure my experience was a positive one. As I said, thats a rare trait and it's comforting to know people like Scott are around and in business. It helps restore my faith in humanity haha.

The scent of 45th to me is intoxicating lol. Its one of only two of the 17 different soaps/creams/scents that I intentionally open just to smell.

I'm not sure I could pick a favorite from the creams I have. All have that special something that you just want more of. Thats a hallmark of a well conceived and crafted item no matter the type of product, and speaks volumes of the maker.

I really like the Captains Lime soap.! I doubt if his Cream Soap can beat Maca Root or Biotique Cream soaps. I would be very surprised if it did!!!!!!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I really like the Captains Lime soap.! I doubt if his Cream Soap can beat Maca Root or Biotique Cream soaps. I would be very surprised if it did!!!!!!

You mean it can get even better?!? lol

I havent heard of the Biotique creams/soaps and read very little of Maca Root, but thanks for pointing them out. I'll look into them further.

I have thought about trying Castle Forbes, but at that price, they had better be truly exceptional.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Very good review. Scott is a great person. On your sandakwood, you didn't happen to get a balm instead of a soap, did you? My Sandalwood sample is just like the others. The balm sample is very liquid-like.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Very good review. Scott is a great person. On your sandakwood, you didn't happen to get a balm instead of a soap, did you? My Sandalwood sample is just like the others. The balm sample is very liquid-like.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for making me check. I almost shaved with it this morning! LOL

IMG_2044.JPG

So I guess my comments to it being a shave cream in my review can be redacted lol.

Edit: I just checked the Lime, and its a soap. However, what Scott told me about the viscosity from using natural essential oils, stands! Blame my old eyes and a lack of reading glasses haha.

Scott is an Amazing Vendor, and 45th Parallel is an amazing shave soap, I have not tried the cream, I am more of a soap fan. The soap has an over the top cherry scent that I love.

Top Bottom