What's new

Captain Fawcett Moustache Wax Reviews(7)

I really love Captain Fawcett Moustache wax. When I love something, I dive headfirst in, as most of you all do with this fine hobby of shaving do as well. So, I've got a bit of a collection, so in this review, I will talk about 7 of their waxes.
I will first post their description of the scents from their website, and then I will give my own description of how I interpret the scents. I will also rate the scent strength, I will use a 5 point scale with 5 the strongest. Obviously, with a stronger scent, comes more longevity in my experience with these waxes.
I will also point out that I've found that these waxes seem to get easier to work with the more empty the container gets, as well as the scent seems to come out a bit more.

I will begin with my first wax I got from them:
Ricki Hall's Booze and Baccy - luxurious base notes of honeyed fresh tobacco leaves, dusty aromatic frankincense, maple-like benzoin, woody oak moss and warm exotic vanilla bean, layered with mid notes of fresh hops and sweet bog myrtle finished with the top notes of spice from the bay rum tree and zesty orange.

When I think tobacco scents, this is what my mind goes straight to. It smells much like opening a package of a vanilla scented pipe tobacco and taking a big whiff. I can't say I smell a whole lot of the other notes as the tobacco certainly takes center stage in this wax. This wax gets a rating of 5 on the scent scale.

Next in the line-up will be:
The Chap Debonair - Redolent of a briar pipe’s sweet smoke as savoured by a fellow from the comfort of his fireside armchair or upon a porch on a long summer’s evening.

It is pretty vague. The description from Fendrihan where I often order from is also vague - Sweet and smoky aroma
Anyways. This one is hard to describe. This one was disappointing or me as I was hoping to be a strong tobacco scent like the previous wax, but it a very mild but pleasant scent. If you want mild, but still nice, this is for you. I give it a 2 on the scent scale.

Number 3 is 1 of 3 I just received last week. It will be:
The Gentleman's Stiffner(Speyside Whisky) - has a blend of warming and luxurious Nutmeg, Ginger Root, Tobacco leaf extract, Clove and Sweet Orange essential oils.

This one I get the orange taking center stage, with ginger right behind, and a hint of clove. It smells like something you could easily eat, perhaps some baking. I love ginger, I love clove, I love nutmeg... Spice is nice. This one is my favourite of the new 3 for sure. I think I'll rate this one with a 4 on the scent scale.

4! is #2 of 3:
Douglas Laing's Big Peat(Islay Malt Whisky) - Cedarwood, Cinnamon leaf, Vanilla and Cade essential oils has resulted in a luxuriously scented upper lip topiary stiffener.

I had recently bought a bottle of cedarwood essential oil and I was utterly repulsed. It smelled like cat urine mixed with... I don't know. BUT, I really don't know how to use essential oils all that well yet.
Anyways, cedarwood is the focal point of this wax and they used it perfectly. I smell that, with a little bit of cinnamon, maybe a touch of vanilla. It's another one that would be good if you want superb results with a milder scent, as I rate this as a 3.

Fifth in line is the 3 of 3 I had recently received:
Rufus Hound's Triumphant - A heady perfume boasting top notes of Bergamot, Lime & Ylang, mid notes of Blackcurrant, Clove & Galbanum supported by the earthier base notes of Sandalwood, Ambergris & Musk. A delightful fragrance somewhat reminiscent of the balmy days of Spring; olfactory rural stimuli reaped whilst riding his beloved motorcycle thru England’s green & pleasant countryside.

Flowers. Like Grandma's purse, but not like Tabac is like Grandma's purse. If they had scent category for that, it could very well be in it.
It is very floral, maybe grassy? Your wife will like it. I really don't know these scents so I can't tell you what is here. I'll rate this at a 2, maybe a 3.

Six for Sandalwood:
Expedition Strength - featuring our most popular scent Sandalwood, this tin of specially formulated 'Firm Hold' Expedition Strength Moustache wax will ensure your perky tips stand proud throughout!

Well, it's sandalwood. I'm not a sandalwood expert so I can't tell you how close this is to sandalwood. I can tell you that it is pretty difficult to work with so this shouldn't be your daily driver. It works very well to get extra that extra hold, but you need to warm it well with a blow dryer or your moustache will be in your palms... well, not quite. It does need to be warm to be workable though. Scent is very mild and gets a 1.

7 is my favourite:
The Jodhpur Company Maharajah - Redolent of balmy air perfumed by aromatic smoke and a crush of bright petals conjuring the heat of enchanted Indian nights, the Captain’s master blender has woven heady rose with peppery spice, rich musk, cedar & leather studded with dazzling citrus top notes.

Incense is how I describe this. I absolutely love Nag Champa, and I feel like if this came in stick form, it may become my new favourite. It's got a really nice peppery scent with cedar and leather underneath. Everything just blends so nicely. I rate this at a 4 on the scent scale.

If I was to recommend any, they are Maharajah and Booze and baccy. Both scents are incredible. If you are looking for a great quality wax, I would suggest this stuff.
There are still 7 waxes I haven't tried. Barberism and Nebula are next on my list.
Private Stock
Ylang Ylang
Sandalwood
Menthol
Lavender
Barberism
Nebula
My brother recently bought the Ylang Ylang, I did smell it though I cannot write a review as I haven't put it to use enough.

Hope you enjoyed reading and find some use from this review, and I hope someone from the Fawcett sees this and decides to endorse my stache.

Tell me, besides wax, there is something else
Got2b glued spiking gel and ultra glued are two relatively inexpensive products made for hair spiking that will hold a stache in place. I tried the Got2b ultra glued this week. It dries to a hard finish that holds stiffly but will not allow a comb through it.

Elmers purple glue stick is non toxic, and popular among those in competitions. I have no personal experience with it. My kids are beyond the arts and crafts stage :) :( .

What does this stuff look like? We love to see pics!
A24DB49B-CA59-4252-BF80-3A4406CA3247.jpeg

Top Bottom