What's new

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Recently I got an old Brooks Brothers Rooney that had some pretty big cracks around the top and shoulders of the handle. The knot itself was fantastic and the size, weight and balance near perfect so I wondered if maybe I should get it bored out beyond the cracks and put in a new knot?

But the existing knot was fantastic, another of those really wonderful old knots like you just can't find these days. Then I had a thought that hearkened back to when I owned sailboats and faced the continuing struggle to seal all those little cracks and leaks that seem to be standard equipment on boats, trailers, RVs, caravans, old cars and old folk. For all but the latter the answer was Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure; a liquid that penetrates cracks through capillary action and then cures to seal and stabilize everything.

Capt Tolley's is amazing but requires patience. You put just a drop on a crack and watch it wick its way from the surface into the crack. You wipe down any excess and wait for about 30-60 minutes and repeat the process. When you get to the place when it no longer draws the substance in you stop and let it cure at least over night.

The Spa Treatment took about three days but now instead of cracks there is a clear filler. You can still see and somewhat feel the cracks but they no longer allow water in and it all seem stable. Since the process pull the liquid as far down the crack as possible first before that application cures and then capillary action repeats the process the whole crack gets filled layer by layer.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'll put the brush in rotation and see how it does but I'm hoping to get another decade or two from it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Great story. Great idea.

Stupid question: Would this product work to fix razor handle cracks? Yes, I know there are other, and maybe superior handle crack fixes, but would this work? You mentioned old cars which is why I'm asking?

Happy shaves,

Jim

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Great story. Great idea.

Stupid question: Would this product work to fix razor handle cracks? Yes, I know there are other, and maybe superior handle crack fixes, but would this work? You mentioned old cars which is why I'm asking?

Happy shaves,

Jim
It wouldn't fix razor handle cracks; it would fill them though. The issue with old cars is sealing around windows or joints to stop leaks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It wouldn't fix razor handle cracks; it would fill them though. The issue with old cars is sealing around windows or joints to stop leaks.

Thank you.

I had an old Mercedes 380SL I might have kept had I known about this product.

It had the weirdest leak. On occasion is would dump ice cold water on my foot. Well, I guess it was water. Maybe it was some other fluid. Anyway, it was incredibly annoying. I was unable to determine why this happened as it seemed entirely random and was quite intermittent. Worse, I couldn't figure out how to fix it even if could discover the source.

An extremely knowledgeable Mercedes mechanic was also unable to track down the origin of the problem. He thought there was probably a leak somewhere allowing water to accumulate, get cold somehow, and then dump on my foot for mysterious reasons.

So, this product might have helped but not unless the leak was found and that was a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Happy shaves,

Jim

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds like a great product, I have never heard of it here in Australia. It would be interesting to see if we have something similar here.

:lol:
Could you imagine calling out for work because you have Creeping Crack instead of diarrhea. The name itself sounds like a believable illness and infinitely worst than diarrhea.
Sorry, boss, cant make it in today. I've got a creeping crack...

On occasion is would dump ice cold water on my foot. Well, I guess it was water. Maybe it was some other fluid. Anyway, it was incredibly annoying. I was unable to determine why this happened as it seemed entirely random and was quite intermittent. Worse, I couldn't figure out how to fix it even if could discover the source.

An extremely knowledgeable Mercedes mechanic was also unable to track down the origin of the problem. He thought there was probably a leak somewhere allowing water to accumulate, get cold somehow, and then dump on my foot
My wife's friend had a car with a similar problem. The service station eventually traced it to water buildup in the A/C cooling coil. The pipe that was supposed to drain it was clogged. The collected water built up to a critical level, then drained together on her foot. I think it was about a tablespoon or so at a time, but I'm not sure, as Ive heard the story secondhand through my wife..

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My wife's friend had a car with a similar problem. The service station eventually traced it to water buildup in the A/C cooling coil. The pipe that was supposed to drain it was clogged. The collected water built up to a critical level, then drained together on her foot. I think it was about a tablespoon or so at a time, but I'm not sure, as Ive heard the story secondhand through my wife..

Smart service station guys. That sounds exactly like what I experienced, but it felt like more water. It was certainly cold. Always very cold.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Smart service station guys. That sounds exactly like what I experienced, but it felt like more water. It was certainly cold. Always very cold.
Look at the puddle under your car after you park it on a day when you used the AC. There is a BUNCH of condensation.

Top Bottom