What's new

canus's straight razor shave journal

It has been a long time. But I still use my straight razor to shave, though I still need my trimmer for the difficult parts. Illness, looking for a new job and exams have prevented me from writing.

Having a new job (for the moment) and wanting to share some advice my barber gave me.

First the advice: I have trouble with shaving around my mouth and I told my barber who gave me the advice to use not the ending of the straight razor, but to use the part of the razor close to your hand holding the razor.
This really helped me getting a better shave at least for one half of the part between my mouth and my nose (If I cut myself now it is most likely to be there).

I changed my routine a bit:

1. I stropt my razor.
  2. I filled the inner and outer pot of the scuttle with water of a temperature of 80 °C. I put my brush in the inner pot and I went to take a shower.
  3. I came out of the shower emptied the scuttle and I filled the inner pot with hot tap water from the bathroom and made my lather.
  4. I lathered my face and shaved 3 times.
  5. I did a cold towel over my face
  6. I applied some aftershave on my face
  7. cleaning up

One tub of ToOBS gives me ± 7 months of shaving. I am planing to shave twice a week and I wonder how long the second tub will last. And writing at least once every two weeks.

Happy shaving everyone.

@Gustav Thanks. I try to stretch my skin, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I found a few photo's in a manual and use them as a reference to see where to stretch when.

First the advice: I have trouble with shaving around my mouth and I told my barber who gave me the advice to use not the ending of the straight razor, but to use the part of the razor close to your hand holding the razor.
This really helped me getting a better shave at least for one half of the part between my mouth and my nose (If I cut myself now it is most likely to be there).

rarely use the point around my mouth... mostly the middle 70% of the blade... i feel like it gives better shave result.

Top Bottom