What's new

Can't stop sniffing Tabac!

I think it might be fun as a shave soap or cream, but the EdT is way too strong to be much besides a museum piece, something you might wear for your own personal enjoyment but it smells very dated.

This is an older scent that dates from a time when being stinky was more socially acceptable. More people smoked and cars had leaded gas. The herbacious sharpness of green tobacco was needed to punch through all that, I guess, and smell "fresh". But today it just smells stinky.

Says one with an Old Spice avatar...

I can handle the smell, but I often go for long stretches without using it with no remorse. It always performs.

Tabac always smells like James Bond aka sean connery, to me.

I have heard Connery actually wears Jicky, an old Gurlain perfume that is often worn by women now days. It's sort of like a fougere scent with civet musk. Tabac is also considered a fougere, since it has a fresh, green lavender-oakmoss pattern, but it's of a more aromatic rather than floral type, like Jicky.

Last edited:
I just broke out some Tabac to smell, spraying it on a blotter . Neroli, petitgrain, sandalwood, and vetiver are prominent. It reminds me a bit of Crusellas Kolonia Vetiver, which has a similar character. I don't smell tobacco really, but it might be trying to create the impression of tobacco through the earthy, woody notes. It's a bit on the dirty, musky side compared to Crusellas' vetiver cologne. It smells more old-world European in its sensibilities, more willing to embrace earthy and animalic notes than what many American men might considered "smelling good". It definitely smells more like an evening fragrance, and not casual.

Last edited:
I was not aware of Jicky Guerlain and bit of Civet funk used in it but I can understand how Tabac works well in Europe as a 'cultural' thing. I scarfed a 300ML bottle of pre 2008 EDT and I am ok with slightly more pronounced green tobacco note it has.

Top Bottom