What's new

Can't smoke a full bowl

Ok guys, had a great smoke this morning in the radio room listening to the local Swap And Shop broadcast. Still trying to gather and learn all the techniques as a new pipe smoker and having a blast!

Only issue is I seem sensitive to nicotine and can rarely get through more than half a bowl. I previously smoked cigarettes, quit 15 years ago, but smoked about 2 packs a day at that time and never had an issue with vitamin N.

Any advice on getting over this hump would be great!

Here's a pic from this morning in the cozy radio room, Flake Medallions in a English Billiard, warm glow of the old National receiver. Cheers!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395768932.476985.jpg

Just IMO, this is the way I see it: Listen to your body. If it's rejecting vitamin N, don't try to train it to accept more...you wouldn't want to end up with a difficult-to-lose habit again, would you? Load half-bowls, switch to a smaller pipe, or just put it down and light it up again the next day. That's how I roll.

However, I'm still new at this and I could be totally wrong.

Thanks captain! That's the approach I'm using at this time. It's just, I listen to everyone talking about enjoying a full bowl, possibly two and wonder why my body seems to be reacting the way it does. If I want to relax with a book and a pipe, I have to set it down too often which results in too many re-lights. It'd be nice to just pack a large bowl and sit back and enjoy it for a solid hour or so.

I'm actually curious why you would quit smoking for fifteen years and then decide to smoke again at all. Especially for a full hour at a time.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I sometimes experience the same thing. It usually happens when I haven't eaten recently and varies to degree depending on what blend I'm smoking. You might want to try a milder blend on a full stomach and have something to drink along with your smoke, not necessarily alcoholic.

Thanks captain! That's the approach I'm using at this time. It's just, I listen to everyone talking about enjoying a full bowl, possibly two and wonder why my body seems to be reacting the way it does. If I want to relax with a book and a pipe, I have to set it down too often which results in too many re-lights. It'd be nice to just pack a large bowl and sit back and enjoy it for a solid hour or so.

Some of us are nicotine hounds who enjoy the buzz. Don't let us discourage you.

I'm actually curious why you would quit smoking for fifteen years and then decide to smoke again at all. Especially for a full hour at a time.

I smoked a pipe some back when I was a cig smoker. Always enjoyed it. I quit cigarettes because of years of heavy deep inhaling. I grew tired of the smell on my clothes and of course the concerns of lung problems.

I really don't equate pipe smoking with cigarette smoking, don't believe it is harmful if done in moderation, and surely don't buy all the BS lies that the anti PC crowd has drummed up over the years thanks to the master liars of them all...the Surgeon General. :)

dont worry about the re-lights, i tend to let my pipe sit and go out often when i'm smoking and doing something else, which is 90% of the time. Even if im just reading while smoking a lot of times i dont take a puff for a while and it just goes out. If not finishing a bowl or wasting tobacco is something that bugs you, just load half a bowl. Take it at your own pace, and dont worry too much about re-lights. Listen to your body, the worst thing is getting too much N and getting queesy or the nic sweats and shakes. That can ruin a nice smoke real fast.

Also sugery drinks do tend to help wit the N. But just take it slow, and if you feel the N is getting to you, just put it down for a bit.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just pack as much as you can handle right now, and don't worry about relights. This is not a contest- just do what brings you enjoyment, which is the ultimate goal of pipe smoking.

Like others have said pack what is good for you. And eating a decent meal before the stronger baccys can really make a difference.

I always try to make sure I'm hydrated as well. Not only prevents that dizzy feeling but can also enhance the flavor. I may be imagining it but the tongue can't pick up on as many subtle flavor nuances when it's not hydrated.

Eat a meal first, try lighter tobaccos, pack half bowls, invest in a smaller pipe if you'd like, or just finish the fully packed bowl at your own pace!

Pretty much sums up all the opinions from above.

Speaking from (almost) personal experience - a friend of mine enjoys smoking his pipe in short clips (15-30 minutes at a time) and he's never complained of poor flavor from smoking a bowl across 2 days or so.

I can't speak to the pipe/nicotine issue but I have to say that is a beautiful radio. In addition to the many acquisition disorders this site enables, I also have Radio AD.

I'll post a few more of the radio room tomorrow. The other views may be a little messy though. :)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. I'm going to just continue enjoying my pipes and not worry about nicotine. If my body says stop, I'll set it down for a while...or just man up and plow through it! ;)

Also, thanks for the suggestions on the sweet drinks and staying hydrated. I'll make a point of smoking my pipes with a large glass of sweet tea and see if that helps. I never really got sick, just a little dizzy a time or two and once had elevated heart and clammy feeling after just a partial bowl of Prince Albert, but that time I had not ate or drank anything for several hours.

Top Bottom