What's new

Can't shave without scarring myself

how hard are you pushing the electric or de blades into your skin? While most of us probably aren’t dermatologists, perhaps share a picture of what this looks like and perhaps we can reverse image search whats going on and share what we find like we were on webmd ;) The worst we could do is sympathize as most of us would rec an appt with a real derm

I'm a little shy about it.. not something that I would like to share.
It's a small holes that I just see after I finish my shaving, No blood or anything. just a small scar.

I'm trying to figure out if I should leave my E shavers for now and go back again to cartridge blade,

The best option for me right now is to try the SkinGuard?
Should I add something to my routine?
Warm shower + skinguard sensitive gel + nivea aftershave

Try Personna’s bump fighter razor. Designed for African-American men with sensitive skin. They work great.

As others have suggested, I would definitely go see the dermatologist first.

That being said, you might want to consider trying to learn SR shaving, as it is the most irritation free, most comfortable shaving method of all. IDK why or how, but it just is. Though the path to that ultimate comfort and smoothness will be covered with nicks, cuts and weepers along the way. In your case this may be very scary. Perhaps the Feather AC SS razor with specially designed blades would be the very best solution for you.

If all else fails - hey - sporting a beard is not that bad after all. Many find it ultimately masculine. Good luck!

African-American men with sensitive skin

Unfortunately not available in my country.. :\

As others have suggested, I would definitely go see the dermatologist first.

That being said, you might want to consider trying to learn SR shaving, as it is the most irritation free, most comfortable shaving method of all. IDK why or how, but it just is. Though the path to that ultimate comfort and smoothness will be covered with nicks, cuts and weepers along the way. In your case this may be very scary. Perhaps the Feather AC SS razor with specially designed blades would be the very best solution for you.

If all else fails - hey - sporting a beard is not that bad after all. Many find it ultimately masculine. Good luck!

I will go to see dermatologist tomorrow, SR and DE not going to be an option, DE gave me the worst shave so far.

here is a thread I opened 1 year ago.

Unfortunately not available in my country.. :\

I will go to see dermatologist tomorrow, SR and DE not going to be an option, DE gave me the worst shave so far.

here is a thread I opened 1 year ago.
Again, w/o knowing the specifics, hard to say anything. Seeing the medical professional is obviously the best option.

How and ever, SR shaving is the most comfortable, irritation free shaving method, IF done right. It's not up for debate, it's a fact. If you're not even willing to try it, then this whole exercise / thread makes little sense. If cartridge / electric is as far as you're willing to go, accept the inevitable - you will ALWAYS have some level of irritation.

Again, w/o knowing the specifics, hard to say anything. Seeing the medical professional is obviously the best option.

How and ever, SR shaving is the most comfortable, irritation free shaving method, IF done right. It's not up for debate, it's a fact. If you're not even willing to try it, then this whole exercise / thread makes little sense. If cartridge / electric is as far as you're willing to go, accept the inevitable - you will ALWAYS have some level of irritation.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you offer but SR sounds to me basically shaving with a knife.. and I can't take any risks of trying it because it will probably end up pretty bad.

I know that I will have some sort of irritation when I'm shaving my face but I'm talking about something that is very unusual that I'm scarring myself permanently every month while shaving, with E shaver, DE or cartridge.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you offer but SR sounds to me basically shaving with a knife.. and I can't take any risks of trying it because it will probably end up pretty bad.

I know that I will have some sort of irritation when I'm shaving my face but I'm talking about something that is very unusual that I'm scarring myself permanently every month while shaving, with E shaver, DE or cartridge.
Which is why I have suggested you opt for Feathers Artist Club SS shavette. It has a specially designed blade holder and blades that will give you zero irritation, smooth and comfortable shave...

Try it... Given how bad your situation is, what's there to lose?

I'm a little shy about it.. not something that I would like to share.
It's a small holes that I just see after I finish my shaving, No blood or anything. just a small scar.

DorN, this might seem like a stupid question but is your razor cutting the hair or plucking the hair? If it is plucking the hair it would leave small holes where the follicle is removed. If it is lifting and cutting, as seems to be the case with multi blade cartridges, the hair will sink back below the skin and might look like a scar. Especially if dark beard on fair skin.

I can't recommend a cartridge razor as I haven't used them in years, however, if that is your preference I would suggest using as fewer blades as possible.

Another question, how old is the head of your braun? It could have dulled since you first started using it. Or is it a case where you always had the issues you described? You might have to replace the blades/head of the shaver if it was working fine for you when you first got it.

First go to a dermatologist

make sure your electric razor has fresh clean blades. I have had braun and Philishave and a broken braun blade blade can cut you up badly.

wet shaving
Try to get a oneblade Core single edge razor. Single blade mild with a tilting head. Use the blade max 2 shaves. And do not rush or press.

make sure to do a proper prep and use slippery soap, recommend stirling. But ProRaso, Cella, tabac, Arko all make affordable and performing soap but you will need to learn to lather.
Pre shave soap helps too.
stupid enough sometimes using cold water instead of hot helps.

But dermatologist first, if you have got something like a pock or acne marked skin it might be difficult

Last edited:
DorN, this might seem like a stupid question but is your razor cutting the hair or plucking the hair? If it is plucking the hair it would leave small holes where the follicle is removed. If it is lifting and cutting, as seems to be the case with multi blade cartridges, the hair will sink back below the skin and might look like a scar. Especially if dark beard on fair skin.

I can't recommend a cartridge razor as I haven't used them in years, however, if that is your preference I would suggest using as fewer blades as possible.

Not stupid question, my E razor doesn't plucking.
The scars stay until now so..

Another question, how old is the head of your braun? It could have dulled since you first started using it. Or is it a case where you always had the issues you described? You might have to replace the blades/head of the shaver if it was working fine for you when you first got it.

It always been the case for me, I remember that I bought another razor just because I thought it was dull, and the next shave with my new shaver and I got it again.
But I found out that with rotatory shaver it happens more often.

First go to a dermatologist

make sure your electric razor has fresh clean blades. I have had braun and Philishave and a broken braun blade blade can cut you up badly.

wet shaving
Try to get a oneblade Core single edge razor. Single blade mild with a tilting head. Use the blade max 2 shaves. And do not rush or press.

make sure to do a proper prep and use slippery soap, recommend stirling. But ProRaso, Cella, tabac, Arko all make affordable and performing soap but you will need to learn to lather.
Pre shave soap helps too.
stupid enough sometimes using cold water instead of hot helps.

But dermatologist first, if you have got something like a pock or acne marked skin it might be difficult

I really don't wanna go back to DE razor, it gave me terrible shave with terrible scar.
Thank you :)

Agree wholeheartedly try the Gillette Skinguard.....I find it amazingly smooth and irritation free...it does not shave as close as I like, but first things first you need to shave without scars. Also, try a 3 pass shave. - with the grain, across the grain, than against the grain....if I skip the cross grain pass my skin gets irritated also, but not with three passes. If your still getting irritation and scarring, make the second pass cross grain and forget against the grain pass altogether. As a general rule the thicker the lather the less irritation but the less close the shave, so play around to see what works best for you.

Agree wholeheartedly try the Gillette Skinguard.....I find it amazingly smooth and irritation free...it does not shave as close as I like, but first things first you need to shave without scars. Also, try a 3 pass shave. - with the grain, across the grain, than against the grain....if I skip the cross grain pass my skin gets irritated also, but not with three passes. If your still getting irritation and scarring, make the second pass cross grain and forget against the grain pass altogether. As a general rule the thicker the lather the less irritation but the less close the shave, so play around to see what works best for you.

Hey,

I'm so afraid of going against the grain with cartridge razors, with E shaver I feel way more secured :\
btw my moustache area is very thick compare to my other areas in my face, any advice about it?
I don't feel comfortable especially there doing ATG..

thank you :)

Hey,

I'm so afraid of going against the grain with cartridge razors, with E shaver I feel way more secured :\
btw my moustache area is very thick compare to my other areas in my face, any advice about it?
I don't feel comfortable especially there doing ATG..

thank you :)

Don't go against the grain then, it's not compulsory. There's an obsession here for bbs shaves which are not necessary. Two passes, one pass with the growth and one across with touchups is sufficient with the SkinGuard.

Not stupid question, my E razor doesn't plucking.
The scars stay until now so..

It always been the case for me, I remember that I bought another razor just because I thought it was dull, and the next shave with my new shaver and I got it again.
But I found out that with rotatory shaver it happens more often.

I really don't wanna go back to DE razor, it gave me terrible shave with terrible scar.
Thank you :)
The single edge razors I mention (oneblade core) no de razors, but relative mild tilting head razors just like a gilette fusion/Mach but with only 1 blade edge and no lubra strips.

The oneblade core is the razor I use when I did cut myself with a de but need to shave. I would allmost dare to shave drunk with it, that mild
lubra strips irritate my skin.
Only issue blades last only 1-2 shaves.

Have you tried shaving two passes WTG and no ATG?

It will not shave me at all, with the grain doesn't do much for me.
Just to clarify, I'm using Electric shaver to shave right now,
I'm going for the first pass with the grain just to prepare my brain that I'm shaving right now and be careful,
and then I go against the grain because it's the only way for the shaver to actually shave me.

And I do it with all the parts of my face.

Don't go against the grain then, it's not compulsory. There's an obsession here for bbs shaves which are not necessary. Two passes, one pass with the growth and one across with touchups is sufficient with the SkinGuard.

I haven't tried yet the SkinGuard.. I've mach3 and Fusion at home, Is it much different?

The single edge razors I mention (oneblade core) no de razors, but relative mild tilting head razors just like a gilette fusion/Mach but with only 1 blade edge and no lubra strips.

The oneblade core is the razor I use when I did cut myself with a de but need to shave. I would allmost dare to shave drunk with it, that mild
lubra strips irritate my skin.
Only issue blades last only 1-2 shaves.

That's a very big issue for me because I don't have it in my country and I have to buy it from amazon everytime..
:\

Other recommendations? :)

It will not shave me at all, with the grain doesn't do much for me.
Just to clarify, I'm using Electric shaver to shave right now,
I'm going for the first pass with the grain just to prepare my brain that I'm shaving right now and be careful,
and then I go against the grain because it's the only way for the shaver to actually shave me.

And I do it with all the parts of my face.

I haven't tried yet the SkinGuard.. I've mach3 and Fusion at home, Is it much different?

That's a very big issue for me because I don't have it in my country and I have to buy it from amazon everytime..
:\

Other recommendations? :)
broman
same idea but it accepts halved de blades which also gives you more flexibility in blades choice. drawback the head is a bit wide compared to the blade so not super under the nose.
But nice thing you can go from a gillette green very mild to a kai very effective. And blades are cheap.

At this moment broman is my daily driver. And I am tempted to get a second potato peeler for holidays and leave the oneblade core

Focus dynamic R48 I hesitate, because the blades are easy to load wrong and then you will have issues for sure. Loaded properly it is mild compact head. But wait until there is a r48evo with improved blade loading!

Leaf razor, never had one bit complex you can choose between 1,2,3 halved de blades and position to Taylor your shave. Still want one lol.

Feather fhs blades for a oneblade can be bought in Europe at gifts and care

Ow and your gilette questions

gillette guard = single blade no lubra strip tilting head relative cheap disposable.

gillette skin guard = double blade lubra strips and multiple guards in between the blades to prevent you cutting yourself up.

google the images please!

Top Bottom