What's new

Can't Restore, But Preserve?

I came into a (as per the date code) 1952 Gillette SuperSpeed. It functions perfectly, and I'd like to get it a little shined up.
I'm very familiar with high-grit sandpaper, steel wool, and Flitz / simichrome polish.

My problem is that there are a few major pits near the head. I'll have to fill them in. But until then, my jeweler buddy says to clean and shine the razor thouroughly. When it's sparkly, I can apply an even coat of clear nail polish 'top coat' to prevent any further damage until I'm ready to undertake this project.

Anybody else use fingernail polish as a preservative on their shaving goods?

My question is with a razor so common is it worth putting all the time and money into basically a very common razor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is with a razor so common is it worth putting all the time and money into basically a very common razor?

It's a piece of history for me. I got it in a PIF here, and it coincidentally was made the same year my father was born.

So, yes, to me it's worth it. As well-made and proven as modern razors are, there's just something about a razor from the 1950s or 60s that makes me say
"Oh yeah, I can dig this."

It's a piece of history for me. I got it in a PIF here, and it coincidentally was made the same year my father was born.

So, yes, to me it's worth it. As well-made and proven as modern razors are, there's just something about a razor from the 1950s or 60s that makes me say
"Oh yeah, I can dig this."

Now that makes perfect sense! I want sure if it was a random pickup or if more importance! Good on you and gratz on your Dads birth year razor!

R

romsitsa

It’s brass, it won’t get further damage (except you store it in an acid), worst case you have to polish it again.
Anything non metalic will have to be removed before filling in the gaps or a replate, and removing material from pits is pretty tedious.
The easiest way is to solder in the pit, apply a coat of copper then it can be plated just like brass. Or you can laser weld it in.

Adam

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
How about showing us a photo of the razor and the area that you are talking about. That might give us a better idea. We loves our photos.

Top Bottom