What's new

Can't Recommend These

Took a sniff of these at a recent just-for-fun Dollar Tree stop. Now I ain't fancy, and won't spend more on aftershave than Clubman or Aqua Velva, but these were not my favorite haha. Both weak AND bad.
I had honestly thought they'd be an imposter Skin Bracer or whatnot. Nope.
But I still wonder if any of y'all tried them? Maybe they're good once you "activate the ingredients" and splash em on?
IMG_20220114_131924477.jpg

I am not surprised. The ingredients for great scents are not cheap. Thus, to produce a cheap aftershave worthy of any of the dollar stores, it has to contain cheap ingredients. That means stuff like water, some SD alcohol and some inexpensive essential oils or synthetic fragrances.

There are several older threads with similar conclusions. You could have saved yourself a couple of bucks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am not surprised. The ingredients for great scents are not cheap. Thus, to produce a cheap aftershave worthy of any of the dollar stores, it has to contain cheap ingredients. That means stuff like water, some SD alcohol and some inexpensive essential oils or synthetic fragrances.

There are several older threads with similar conclusions. You could have saved yourself a couple of bucks.
Yeah, but look here at what I paid $1.25 for at the Dollar Store:
IMG_20220117_192723045~2.jpg
This actually isn't terrible. Scent does remind me of Cool Water by Davidoff.

It ain't got any legs; dies within half an hour.

Haven't tried the shower gel.

Legitimate fragrances contain oils and resins that evaporate slowly. Thus, the scent lasts a while; something perfumers call sillage.

Most of the inexpensive knock-off scents are produced by analyzing the original scent using gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy and then using inexpensive ingredients to make a scent that will seem similar to the nose. In the case of these really cheap fragrances, the knock-off scents are further diluted with water or alcohol.

I rarely use aftershaves or colognes, so purchase of expensive colognes and EdTs would be a waste of money. However, I did purchase some knock-off scents to see if I liked them. I rarely use them, but at least the money I wasted was less significant.

Yeah, but look here at what I paid $1.25 for at the Dollar Store:
View attachment 1395321
This actually isn't terrible. Scent does remind me of Cool Water by Davidoff.

It ain't got any legs; dies within half an hour.

Haven't tried the shower gel.
That's pretty neat, I love a bargain. If I had thought the Dollar Tree splash "actually isn't terrible" like the Blue Mist you mention, I would have taken a chance, but I ran away from these.
Off topic, I did buy some of the $1 Old Spice soap bars which another B&B thread found worked well for Shaving :)
Guess if a fella was desperate, he'd have to drive a little farther to the local drugstore, supermarket, or a Dollar Store that sells brand names.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That's pretty neat, I love a bargain. If I had thought the Dollar Tree splash "actually isn't terrible" like the Blue Mist you mention, I would have taken a chance, but I ran away from these.
Off topic, I did buy some of the $1 Old Spice soap bars which another B&B thread found worked well for Shaving :)
Guess if a fella was desperate, he'd have to drive a little farther to the local drugstore, supermarket, or a Dollar Store that sells brand names.
I got one of those "Sport" scented Old Spice soap bars. Haven't used it yet. Has a kinda "in your face" smell, not a favorite. I think I will treat it like a stick and face lather it. Probably will smell less "intense" ...... Hopefully, lol.

Top Bottom