What's new

Can’t make a proper lather

I've never used a boar brush so I don't know if that's the issue. I have made lather with a badger brush and a Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl and Proraso Blue cream, though.

My way is to squeeze out about an almond sized amount of cream into the bowl and then fill up the bowl with enough water to cover the cream. I let that soak (and I also soak my brush in another cup) while I shower. Afterward, I dump out the water from the bowl (into a container), gently squeeze out my brush, then use the brush to whip the cream into a lather. If I need to add water to my lather, I slowly pour out whatever little water (I used to soak the cream earlier) from the container on to my brush then I continue beating my lather.

This same process also worked for the soaps and croaps I've tried it with so far.

Thank you for sharing your method! I'll give it a try.

Perhaps this thread may be helpful.

Thank you! It's a very helpful read. I'll try this method as well and let you guys know how it went :thumbup1:

Nothing wrong with your brush. Boars are great.

By the looks of it, I would triple or quadruple the amount of cream. Don't be stingy.

Thanks. I'll try doubling the amount. This is the first time that i use a cream so i thought it would be easier than a hard soap.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Try leaving a small amount of hot water in the lathering bowl...maybe an ounce of hot water. Then, squeeze the Proraso product from the tube into the hot water in the lathering bowl...don't be stingy with the cream, at least two inch-long strands. Then, with your pre-soaked brush, work the cream and hot water into a lather, adding a little hot water at a time. A little hot water is added, not a deluge. I like to leave a trickle flowing from the tap and allow just a bit to get into the bowl now and again as I'm whipping it. When you think the lather building is slowing, put a tiny bit more hot water into the bowl and start working it again. This is ongoing as you're building up the lather. When you've reached a quantity of lather in the bowl that is sufficient, whip it until it's creamy and has an almost glossy sheen with very few visible air bubbles. You're done.

I had the same problem too when I started with boar and with the exact same brush, the omega 11137, I hated it and went synthetic now I’m back to boar and love them so don’t give up

firstly the boar takes time to break in, 3-4 months.. once broken It will release lather better, the brush tips will also feel softer and retain the backbone

you need more product with boar, so try doubling it, also keep the boar more wet dont ring out too much water

In the meatball get a synthetic brush while your breaking in your boar, these don’t hog lather at all and are perfect for beginners to learn with

The Omega 11137 is a very good boar brush, in my experience. I usually use mine with hard and soft soaps. Your brush should be well broken-in by now. Remember, though, that boars can absorb a large amount of water, like a sponge. If you leave the brush too dry when lathering, it will take water from the lather. I would suggest adding the shaving cream to the bottom of your bowl in a thin layer, just a bit more than you are using now. Use a boar brush that is still somewhat wet -- just allow the excess water to drip off and then "pump" the brush up and down once or twice to shed a bit of water. Agitate the cream by moving your brush both side to side and in lazy circles. Add water gradually two or three times to build up the lather. Your goal is to mix water and cream with small bubbles to make a firm lather, you don't want to whip a bunch of air into the mix. If you don't use enough water, the lather will tend to dry out on you.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There is nothing wrong with your brush, although it certainly does not require that much soaking.

I agree with everyone who said use more cream. I'd start with what you consider a stupidly large amount. The worst that can happen is you'll have enough lather for 6 passes.

Then it's a matter of how much water. Add it slowly until you get where you want to go. After a few good lathers you'll have a better idea of when to add a generous amount of water and when to add 4 drops.

It's going to take you a few minutes to get this process down. You'll get much faster after a few good lathers, but don't be afraid to spend some time swirling your way to a fine lather. Add a little water: after 10-15 seconds you'll know if you need more.

I have half a dozen boar brushes and none are lather eaters. It's not golf, you'll get this. Start with enough cream and add water until you're happy.

I’m a newbie and decided to start with a synthetic. Even when I go sparingly on loading it, I’ve never come close to running out of lather. It’s also full and rich with very little effort. I’m actually interested to try a boar just to see the difference but it seems like you can’t go wrong with a synthetic.

That is a wonderful brush. Of course there is nothing wrong with it. 15-20 minutes soaking is too much. 1-2 is enough. Do not squeeze the brush. Just a light shake to lose some of the water, not all of it. It is up to you to decide how strong the shake should be - by a trial and error method. I think you need more cream and more water. Try putting the cream not on the surface of the bristles, but inside.

Hi gents!

Yesterday i shaved following the advice you guys gave me. This time i finally got the lather that i was looking for. I used more cream and didn’t squeeze the brush. I whipped the cream for almost 2 minutes and the result was a creamy lather with plenty enough for multiple passes. Here are some pictures that i took. Now I’m wondering if I’m using too much cream. Big thank you for your help guys!

Attachments

• 137FE945-F82F-487A-B970-7DB84DEFEC9B.jpeg
    137FE945-F82F-487A-B970-7DB84DEFEC9B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
  • DBF09838-C6FF-483F-B282-E7DC100AF3FF.jpeg
    DBF09838-C6FF-483F-B282-E7DC100AF3FF.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
  • CE020433-D775-49E8-92E7-A0AC0514F037.jpeg
    CE020433-D775-49E8-92E7-A0AC0514F037.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 21
That's great @samuecr93 !
Over time, after you gain experience, you can reduce the amount of cream used.
my advice. from time to time wash your brush in a solution of warm water with 10% apple cider vinegar. If your water is hard, it helps to use a teaspoon of distilled water to beat the foam.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi gents!

Yesterday i shaved following the advice you guys gave me. This time i finally got the lather that i was looking for. I used more cream and didn’t squeeze the brush. I whipped the cream for almost 2 minutes and the result was a creamy lather with plenty enough for multiple passes. Here are some pictures that i took. Now I’m wondering if I’m using too much cream. Big thank you for your help guys!

Now you are getting somewhere!

Not too much cream, but maybe too much water too early. Start with a dryer brush (lightly squeezed) and add water incrementally. Produces finer consistency/more uniform bubbles.

Hi gents!

That's not too much cream.

Top Bottom