What's new

Can't I just dip my toe into straight-shaving just to *try* it? PIF #4

OK, fourth round of the PIF series started here (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-into-straight-shaving-just-to-*try*-it-PIF-1). You'll notice a ton of this text is just being copied from one to another of these. Deal with it, for others, this may be their first time! :lol:

Previous winners:
pilot project --> Bshell
PIF #1 --> Omak (Congrats on the wedding!)
PIF #2 --> zethreal
PIF #3 --> dgerson (hope you're well on your way cleaning up after Sandy!)
PIF #4 --> you??!?!

As before, this is open to any CONUS wetshaver who always wondered what it was like to try a straight razor shave but didn't want to invest anything to do so (this was me a couple years ago). For example, if you've thought "50 bucks for a razor? 100 bucks? That's just ridiculous. Plus a strop? and hones? how many hones? Holy schmoley Batman, that investment is too much for me just to try it out, only to find out that I don't like it, and I don't want to go through the hassle of reselling it and shipping it and all that."

This is for you. (And by the way, I thought and thought about doing a non-CONUS version, but just couldn't bring myself to cough up the extra cash to ship like that when the razor itself is about the cost of shipping in the 'States alone. Sorry y'all.)

All that is required are five things:
  • you don't own a straight razor, and you've never used one before.
  • If you want in, respond below with...hmm...what you want to be when you grow up (and yes, you can be retired and still not be all growed-up yet).
  • remember, this is a PIF, not just a giveaway, so honor system here…if you win this, you gotta eventually give something away, either here or in your real life!)
  • you try it within a week of receiving it
  • you post a thread in the straighty shave clinic here (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/79-Straight-Razor-Shave-Clinic) about your experience after you give it a try, whether you like it or not.

What you get in this deluxe package, just like last time:

• a shave-ready-to-my-standards-cuz-I-shave-tested-it Gold Dollar 66, with the shoulders removed, stropped, oiled, ready to shave. Will be sanitized with Lysol (air-dried) and a few minutes under some UV-C light.
  • uhh....the original packaging
  • umm....my best wishes?

Yup, no strop, no hones, just the raw power of a shave-ready, hair-poppin' edge on a GD66. Is it pretty? no, but gets the job done. Is it an heirloom? no, but it could last you a lifetime. Can it shave? yes, my experience is yes.

Here's a pic of an earlier one, all fancied up on a piano. Trust me…they all look similar, though I've done better at removing the shoulders on razors since then.

proxy.php

Now, if you find you like the whole idea after you shave with it once, you can start building your kit around it (a fancier razor, a cheap strop, maintenance kits, hones, lapping film, whatever). If you don't like it, hey, dull it, stick it in a cabinet, and maybe in a couple years you'll get the hankering again (at which point it will need honing again). The point is, YOU WILL HAVE TRIED A STRAIGHT! How many people can say that?

I purchased this thing, removed the shoulders, and honed it up with the sole intention of doing this PIF -- think about it as my 1000th post PIF series (ok, so I'm over 1,100 now). This will be my last for a little while, as I'm still eagerly awaiting my next pair from China (I buy them in two's for some reason) and I've given all the rest away either here or at work or other places. I'm turning into a PIF-a-holic. Why do this? Just cuz I like to let people try something that may be on their bucket-list of life. If you don't win this time, there will be some more chances later.

Some hints to get you started:

• thou shalt read my good friend Larry's straight razor usage manual beforehand: http://www.whippeddog.com/app/webroot/userfiles/StraightRazorShaving_Manual(5).pdf
  • thou shalt carefully wipe the oil off the blade and tang with a tissue, being careful not to drag the tissue along the cutting edge.
  • thou shalt not allow the edge to touch anything other than strop, hair/whiskers, or skin (delicately)
  • thou shalt keep instrument away from young kids
  • thou shalt use a slightly wetter lather than you would with a DE
  • thou shalt enjoy thyself and be proud for even trying The Way of The Straight.

Let's roll. I'll close this PIF when I feel like it…as before, if we get up too far into the 30-40 range I'll stop it. Typically they've been 3-4 days. Then I'll draw a name with random.org.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Last edited:
I want to be a Fireman when I grow up. Oh, wait I did that already. A cowboy, that's it. I want to be a cowboy when I grow up.

When I grow up....I wanna be a deadly shave ninja complete with a straight razor in each hand so I can shave both sides of my face at once. Please count me in!

When I grow up...I want to be filthy rich and own my own island! Hopefully the fourth time is a charm...

I wanna be a astronaut cause I'm already pretty spacey!
count me in, always wanted to try a straight but I've only managed DE.

When I grow up I want to be a gigantic robot!

But since I'm not-Conus, don't count me in

Last edited:
When i grow up, i wanna be a celebrity chef.

with that said, i have a disability in my right arm that would make it tough to tighten the skin, and would have to read up a whole lot on doing a one handed straight shave. But id give it a go.

I'm in! When I grow up I want to be a good father!
(although, I turn 35 on Friday and am currently single... So I think time may be running out on that dream.)

When I grow up..... I wanna be a ..... Hell I don't wanna grow up! But I guess if I was forced to grow up and choose I would say the owner of a high end bar. Yes that's it! With a store connected. The store would be a gentlemens store where one could find everything from cigars to pocket watches. A large selection of shaving products of course! Man....maybe I'm onto something lol I know that I would love to visit the place I'm picturing.

When I grow up... I wanna be a scientist!
Always wanted to invent something crazy in a lab. But, instead I'm a banker. Funny how life works sometimes. So at this loint in life, when I grow up a bit more, I would like to retire! :lol:

Top Bottom