What's new

Can't get that? Try this!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thought I'd start a thread for decent substitutions. Tobacco that is consistently out of stock, or tobacco that has been discontinued.

I'm asking because I just tried some Hearth & Home Steamroller and really like it. Unfortunately, it is discontinued.

It's described as "Rich and toasty red Virginia is married with two different types of darker Burleys, some unflavored black Cavendish to take the edge off, and a bit of Latakia and Perique for depth of flavor and zest".
I'm not a big fan of Latakia or Perique, so I was surprised to find that I really liked this.
Despite its kick butt strength, it tastes much milder than you would expect.

Has anyone tried Steamroller and could make a suggestion on a match?

Steamroller may have been one of a kind. CD Junkyard Dog doesn't have the perique. Same with Barking Dog Match which then reading brough 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher to the table.

Old Joe Kranz Red has some of the same ingredients but I think is a bit different.

You may need to get some granulated perique, white burley and cavendish and mix up your own clone.

Possibly find a way to get a message to Russ Oullette and ask him for the recipe or to get a one pound batch or something?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Germain's seems to be consistently out of stock here, so I have been strategically seeking alternatives too. I know some folks like the thrill of the hunt with unobtanium, but I would rather have freely available alternatives, even if they're not particularly close to being like for like.

Rich Dark Flake: My attentions here have moved to Irish Flake, Dark Plug, and Revor Plug. They are significantly different, but with a few years of ageing, should give me sufficiently smooth yet robust Virginia Burley blends, to plug the gap... pardon the pun.

Medium Flake: Gawith Hoggarth Bright CR Flake will scratch that itch just fine.

Brown Flake: Full Virginia Flake or Best Brown are the logical substitutes.

1820 Flake: No real contenders here for alternative flakes. Balkan flake is too heavy on Latakia. I have got myself a few mixture samples to explore though.

Royal Jersey Perique: Mild Perique mixtures seem thin on the ground over here, but the topping on Royal Yacht might make it a close enough sub.

Solani Silver 660 seems to be sold out everywhere over here at present. Although, I'm sure Best Brown No.2 Unscented would be close enough for me.

Four Squires (Gawith Hoggarth) hasn't exactly been discontinued, but has been shelved. They'll now only make it if someone orders a minimum batch quantity of 5kg. R&M and Jamaican Flake sits close enough for me on one side of that blend, and Bright CR Flake sits close enough on the other, so as to not leave a devastating void. There's also New Prince if I want a yummy maple tinted mixture.

All that said, I don't have a particularly keen or nuanced palate, and so alternatives don't need to be as similar for me to be satisfied, as other people's tastes might dictate.

I've never sampled Steamroller but Savinelli Doblone d'Oro is a kitchen sink type blend with some of those components you might appreciate.

If I weren't well stocked with McClelland Red Va, I could live with Robert McConnell Red Va. Although it contains a whisper of Perique, it's not enough to interfere with the sweetness of the Va and adds a touch of body and depth I find missing in bulk offerings since McClelland closed up shop.

GLP Quiet Nights would be my recommendation for Penzance.

Top Bottom