What's new

Can't find a Turkey Hone thread so here it is.

It gets murky, the softer turkey stones I am really not fond of, but soft washitas are awesome, the hard Turkey stones have more range imo.

I'd take a soft washita over a hard turkey, but probably a hard turkey over a hard washita. I think the soft turkeys are newer stones that wouldn't have been sold in the past, for the most part... kind of like the cheap arkansas material being sold as simply "hard" arkansas now, that would have been gravel in the past.

I think I would take a prime hard turkey over all of those. It has the nicest balance of range and wear resistance

timwcic

"Look what I found"
My contribution to this tread. I have stones that give a keener edge, but not many look better that this Turkey. This hunk of rock came from the estate of a watchmaker (watchmakers have the coolest toys) along with other high end stones. It measures a chunky 6x3x1 1/4” in a box made from a true 2x4.
It is a hard rock, was a bear to lap and had the burnt match/sulfur smell while working on it. It has the characteristics of a piece of novaculite, smooth glasslike surface, easy feedback with a slight sensation of grit and a surfaced that gets more reflective with use. It’s performance it that of a quality finisher. It gives it’s best using a few drops of oil, nowhere close using water. It refines and improves my edges coming off a Naniwa Fuji 8K. Does not equal a edge off a Escher or a uber fine Coti, but’s it’s close

8E5B31B5-EACC-4410-B9DD-ABEF51002F53.jpeg
CAE14EB3-540F-4EAC-9033-4580AFF1F252.jpeg
1D7C5A81-A763-41AD-8575-E4893D317B3C.jpeg
7C7E50BF-61D8-4626-887A-BF40B94C2ED3.jpeg
C6AAFFBB-564F-40DC-8415-9587F9B8335A.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember reading in more than one place saying how the Washita took over as being the go to stone from the Turkey stone. They called the Washita "The turkey stone killer". one source attributed it to Pike being so good at marketing. One was talking about the U.K. the other was speaking world wide.

Also turkey stones were almost always boxed tightly because they would break in use if you're honing heavy tools. They are brittle as all get out. Washita's don't have that problem.

Does an Armenian whetstone count as a tnat?

Interesting question! Do you have an Armenian stone? I'd love to see...

(That passage in Pliny that mentions Crete as the source of the very best whetstones known at the time, cites 'Armenian' stones as the next best thing...)

I received an ebay job lot of stones today, this was the picture:

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 2.21.33 PM.png

There was an Norton Hard Translucent, the red labelled one is a Tam O'Shanter stick thing, and then all of the others turned out to be old carborundum affairs... except the larger stone in the top left. I had hopes for that one, as it looked perhaps a little cracked. And as soon as I picked it up I was pretty sure...

IMG-2037.jpg

And after a bit of cleaning:

IMG-2038.jpg

It's the same 6x2" as my previous, but the new one is taller at 1 1/4", compared to around 1" on the other.

I received an ebay job lot of stones today, this was the picture:

View attachment 1299389

There was an Norton Hard Translucent, the red labelled one is a Tam O'Shanter stick thing, and then all of the others turned out to be old carborundum affairs... except the larger stone in the top left. I had hopes for that one, as it looked perhaps a little cracked. And as soon as I picked it up I was pretty sure...

View attachment 1299387

And after a bit of cleaning:

View attachment 1299388

It's the same 6x2" as my previous, but the new one is taller at 1 1/4", compared to around 1" on the other.
Another great score mate!
I have a bunch of turkeys and some are incredible stones, especially the darker ones.
Rob

Another great score mate!
I have a bunch of turkeys and some are incredible stones, especially the darker ones.
Rob

I was about to say - now I want to see pictures of your collection...

Here are my babies together. I was particularly pleased because my first (on the left) I use pretty much on a daily basis in a ‘professional’ capacity. I really rate Turkish stones for knife sharpening :).

These two are quite similar, with the newer perhaps being a smidge harder / finer. But there’s not much in it.

1EB8518A-5032-4CCE-8ACB-66839B9B1FA3.jpeg

I was about to say - now I want to see pictures of your collection...

Here are my babies together. I was particularly pleased because my first (on the left) I use pretty much on a daily basis in a ‘professional’ capacity. I really rate Turkish stones for knife sharpening :).

These two are quite similar, with the newer perhaps being a smidge harder / finer. But there’s not much in it.

View attachment 1299431

Here are my “best” stones

A large chunk of a thing which is hard as nails and dense, it was a pig to lap but it is a beautiful stone to use.
Really fine feeling of abrasion and a razor just glides over it. It cuts surprisingly quickly for how fine it is.
I really need to give it a proper test with different honing mediums but using thinned mineral oil it gives a very good edge. Not quite trans arky edge but considering how fast it is it’s up there!
Measures 7 x 3.5” and it has a T H and Co label in the lid, the previous owner has fixed the label in with some form of resin which has never set, the label hasn’t dissolved but it a shame.

Oddly I have another T H and Co turkey and it is a quite different stone.

E6492CA3-7177-4AD7-B0F5-4C29C696CEAA.jpeg
8D474EDD-AFE9-4D01-940E-495A3C11D77D.jpeg
66AC5E5A-283F-4E45-8515-277BE3022A57.jpeg
4C268F03-0E85-4AC8-ADA3-19A63C80F6D1.jpeg

This stone is also hard but not quite as hard as the other stone, this one cuts quickly and leaves quite a consistent scratch pattern.
Ive used this more for knives and tools than razors and it is just perfect after a fast washita.

It can be made to cut very fast with pressure and if the pressure is toned down and any grit released during the heavy handed honing wiped off, it can be made to finish very nicely with low pressure.

Remnants of a label on the back and in the box, but nothing I can make out.
Ive owned a lot of turkeys but these are probably my most used stones

Rob

D7045D2C-D0B4-4D2A-B11B-93428C29D950.jpeg
1A60066F-9A13-4E77-AEAF-5B1253438ABE.jpeg
4462A0C6-24CD-4B25-95F3-50C0BD4ECF25.jpeg
6E299980-051F-483F-A2F8-9FC10CEA81E4.jpeg

This stone is also hard but not quite as hard as the other stone, this one cuts quickly and leaves quite a consistent scratch pattern.
Ive used this more for knives and tools than razors and it is just perfect after a fast washita.

It can be made to cut very fast with pressure and if the pressure is toned down and any grit released during the heavy handed honing wiped off, it can be made to finish very nicely with low pressure.

Remnants of a label on the back and in the box, but nothing I can make out.
Ive owned a lot of turkeys but these are probably my most used stones

Rob

View attachment 1300105View attachment 1300106View attachment 1300107View attachment 1300108

Very nice! I don't any experience with them apart from my two, but they sound quite like your second one there. Though I need to properly lap and sort the surface out on my new one, as it's releasing a few too many random particles atm for my liking.

Have you come across any labelled by companies other than TH&Co.? I've seen a couple of pictures of them, but not any others...

Random Aussie ebay listings coming up trumps again last night :). The Turkish is a good size too - 6.5 x 2.25 x 1.25.

(Washita is about 5.5 x 2 x 1).

IMG-2439.jpg

If anyone’s interested I wrote up quite an in depth look at Turkish Oilstones in comparison to the modern Cretan stone.

Hope it doesn’t ruffle any feathers!

Top Bottom