What's new

Can't find a Turkey Hone thread so here it is.

Looks almost as pure as the little 3x1" one I had (have? I'd have to check)... that was a passable razor finisher.

edit: Checked and surprisingly, yes I still have it.
I've got a 3 ⅛" x 2" x 1 ⅛" that's pretty pure. I haven't put a razor to it, but it stays on my coffee table with my knife tune up gear though.
20230501_182020.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Sometimes you just have to trust your gut. This was the sellers photo, and no info except some dimensions, which may have been the stone or the wood base.

s-l1600.jpeg

So just little old me spotted the tells, and I did not have to fight very hard to get this whopping great rock. Luckily it is fairly flat, because lapping it will be a chore.

IMG_7321.jpeg

My first Turkish-Cretan Oilstones

20230603_085944.jpg
20230603_085828.jpg
20230603_085819.jpg

The two new ones just landed from Greece and the older brown one I've had a week or two. 2.57, 2.61 and 2.63 sg from left to right. I'll likely keep the new ones oil free for a while as I've already had success using the smaller stone as a tomo and working the slurry.

First impressions, they are just less pure/uniform hard arkansas stones haha. I can only think about once arkansas stone started being sold globally how much superior it would of seemed. I bet there is a sweet density zone for these stones but the range likely isn't as broad as in arkansas. The brown stone is practically a translucent Arkansas stone with fissures and pike likely would of rejected it. And now that I have one in hand the fissures are exactly in the wrong orientation for honing, it would be better for the lines to run along the stone as i now notice is more common. I did get it lapped well and finished a razor on it like I would a translucent Arkansas stone. The brown one did smell horrible lapping and I'm fairly confident I've never lapped one of these before now haha.

Despite this they are pretty stones with an almost night sky galaxy aesthetic. The thick square is a nice razor size and with slurry seems really really fast.

Top Bottom