What's new

cant figure out this pen

my brother gave me this pen some years ago as he knows i like fountain pens, i have no idea what kind of pen it is tho, its not a fountain pen but a ballpoint pen, would anyone happen to know what type of pen this
IMG_4863.JPG
IMG_4864.JPG

It looks nice enough that perhaps some sort of small display rack or something for it on your desk would be cool, even if it's not used? Hopefully one of the other pen guys here will have some more idea of what it is.

Is there a way to get the box translated? Doesn't Google something you can use? I would be interested to know who made it as well.

not sure, never thought of that. im not sure which of the asian languages it is. i want to say chinese but im not sure.

not sure, never thought of that. im not sure which of the asian languages it is. i want to say chinese but im not sure.
From my admittedly limited knowledge, I'd agree on it being likely Chinese. It could be Japanese, but that is probably the only other option. The rest of the Asian scripts have a lot more curves in the characters, and those seen on the box are all angular and blocky/dense (which also points to Chinese).

I did a google image search for: vintage cloisonne ball point pen -fountain
and found this - Vintage Cloisonne Ballpoint Pen - which has an identical box covering, minus the label. (Keep scrolling to the right for the box exterior image.)
Cloisonné being the enamel decoration surrounded by metal filigree.

Here's another image ...
proxy.php

and the description (in google images) is given as "lot of 3 Vintage Chinese Floral Pattern Cloisonne Ballpoint Pen in Original Box".
Sadly, the sale that photo belongs to is ended, so no more info from there.

At any rate, I'd say it was Chinese in origin.

When I pop the script into Google translate it translates it too "ChinaJingtai Cigarette Ball Pen -" as far as I can tell Jingtai could be the province that the pen was manufactured

:w00t: How did you do that?
Was it OCR with an image file, or can you type Chinese characters?
I saved the image and using the Google translate app if you click the translate using the camera you are able to go into your images. The app will let you select the words or characters that you want to translate. It's a pretty fun app to use

ive only written with it a few times, i think the ball point is rather old as writes pretty rough and the ink comes out somewhat dry, was considering maybe getting a nib for it, it rather slim as well, the fountain pens i have are more on the cigar shaped size

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
ive only written with it a few times, i think the ball point is rather old as writes pretty rough and the ink comes out somewhat dry, was considering maybe getting a nib for it, it rather slim as well, the fountain pens i have are more on the cigar shaped size
That’s interesting. Maybe it needs a fresh refill. I wonder if it would take like a Parker or Pilot ballpoint refill. I’ve never heard of converting a ballpoint to fountain pen. I’m having trouble envisioning it, unless the pen body was made to swap between ballpoint and fountain pen sections. Have you ever done that before?

Top Bottom