What's new

Canon-to-Nikon Adapter?

Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to use a Canon EF mount on a Nikon camera?

I have a Tamron 16-300mm Di-II PZD lens with a Canon EF mount. My friend has a Nikon D5600 camera. I would be willing to donate the lens to my friend’s good cause, if a mount were available. The Tamron customer service office said that Tamron are unable to change the mount on the lens, and suggested Novoflex or Metabones adapters. However, I have not had any luck finding anything from those two manufacturers. Any suggestions?

Legion

Staff member
To the best of my knowledge there is not a Canon to Nikon adaptor made. I've never seen one, anyway.

While it would not be in either companies best interest to allow one, there would also be technical issues in its manufacture. The thickness of the adaptor would change the distance from the rear nodal point of the lens to the film plane.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I had another man tell me that he found one Nikon to Canon mount, but none of what I was looking for. It's a point well taken about functionality loss.

Thanks, again, for your thoughts.

Yeah there are adapters which can allow you to use *some* Nikkon F-mount lenses on Canon EF cameras. The reverse doesn't exist AFAIK. I'm however not a Nikon expert.
The focal distance difference is overcome in some adapters (for instance Minolta to Canon) by corrective lenses in the adapter itself. This does lead to some loss of quality of the image.

There is no such adapter for Canon EF lenses to work on Nikon F because the EF mount is bigger than the Nikon F mount. This means that you can not get the rear element close enough to the sensor to focus it correctly. The F mount will be in the way of the EF lens rear element. That's how it has always been explained to me.

I KNOW I have seen them advertised online. I think ive seen adapters to turn EF lenses to mount onto EVERYTHING,,,, even onto screw mount liecas

Legion

Staff member
I KNOW I have seen them advertised online. I think ive seen adapters to turn EF lenses to mount onto EVERYTHING,,,, even onto screw mount liecas
That's because a screw mount Leica is essentially a "mirrorless" camera. Like the modern digital ones, the distance from the lens to the film is less than an SLR, and the mount is smaller. This makes an adaptor easy enough to make.

what youll need to do is use a pair of converters.

most likely a canon ef to universal M42 converter, then a M42 to Nikon F converter.

Hi,

A point I don't see mentioned is that the Canon flange-to-focal plane distance is shorter than the Nikon. So, even if you adapted the Canon lens to the Nikon, you'd lose infinity focus. Rather like using an extension ring to make a normal lens do macro work.

After that, how would you control the aperture in the EF lens. The Canon is electronic while most Nikon lenses are mechanical. Some of the new Nikon lenses are also electronic, but the operational protocol is different.

Now, I do the opposite: Use Nikon lenses on Canon bodies. I got into this with the Canon D6000 and, later, the 1Ds. I have, literally, a pile of Nikon lenses and didn't want to get too far into another whole system. So, I used my old Nikon manual focus lenses on the Canon via an adapter. But, this was OK due to the adapter putting the Nikon lens the correct distance from the focal plane. And, the old lenses don't use electronics and so worked just fine in Manual shooting mode.

I still have a D2000 which is mostly used with a Leica microscope and I have one 28-105 EF zoom lens for it. Plus the aforementioned adapter with that pile of old manual focus Nikon lenses.

Stan

unless you have a 10,000 dollar telephoto, I have to as why? you can get gently used lenses up to 200mm tele for less than $500 a pop, and often less than 200. I have never used any sort of adapter or doubler where IQ did not take a significant hit

Top Bottom