What's new

Canon kit gear for night sky photos?

I have an older Canon Rebel XS camera and three lenses. 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 75-300mm f1.4-5.6, and a 50mm f1.8. I am just getting interested in night sky photography and got some good shots of the Super moon last fall using the 75-300. I was wondering which of these lenses would be best for Milky Way and constellation shots? Photography budget is N/A at this time so need to use what I have. I think the 75-300 would let in the most light, but was wondering if the 50mm would get more night sky? Anyone have any ideas for me?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It took me a long term to learn that it is almost always the case that you can get a great shot with a prime lens. I'd start with the 50.

It took me a long term to learn that it is almost always the case that you can get a great shot with a prime lens. I'd start with the 50.
Thanks, ouch. I think I will have to set up and try with both and see what I get.

Indeed.

Your 50mm is much "faster" than your zoom lenses ie. it has a smaller aperture number (which means a larger maximum aperture). Provided you have a reasonable tripod, there is no reason that you won't be able to take great shots.

Thanks David, I screwed up on the info on one lens, 75-300mm f4-5.6 not f1.4. I am really leaning toward just setting up the 50mm and see what kind of pictures I get. Hope the skies clear up tonight or tomorrow, as we have a long weekend here in Alberta this weekend.

Good luck Jack. A couple of tips... open your lens aperture as far as possible (f/1.8) and try to focus on something which is virtually at infinity before nightfall. Then turn off the autofocus on your lens and tape the front ring of your lens to the barrel so that it doesn't move. Don't ask me how I know that shooting astro pics for hours to find that they weren't sharp is frustrating.
Don't forget to pack your remote release and have fun. Depending on how much light is in the sky, you may find yourself shooting at f/1.8 and ISO 1000 for a 30 second exposure.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Thanks David, I screwed up on the info on one lens, 75-300mm f4-5.6 not f1.4.
I was going to say that's one big and very expensive lens you have there. But even if it were f1.4 at 75mm, zoom lenses tend to be not as sharp at their extremes of range, so I'd still recommend the 50mm.

Heck- you have three lenses. Play around with them.

night sky star fields are great fun, very challenging.
technical, finding locations, patience, endurance, elements, etc.
personally, i've not done a lot of it.
this is from st mary in glacier np.
nikon d4 with 17-35mm lens at 19mm, f/2.8, 30 sec, iso 6400
enjoy your journeys!

proxy.php

Greetings Jack!

Great advice above. You have a great array of lenses to work with. Now it is just a matter of getting out and experimenting with different framing and exposure settings.

We would love to see some of your work and feel free to share it here :)

NICE picture sarimento1!!. Spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon building a barn door/Scotch camera mount from some odds and ends thatnI had in garage, then found out from SWMBO that we were going to visit friends last night. Needless to say after a few drinks and and a nice visit with them that there was no astrophotography happening after that. Thanks for all the help and positive feedback from all. Next weekend will get out for sure.

Top Bottom