What's new

Canoe aftershave

Seeing this thread last month and it got me thinking about how much I enjoyed Canoe back in the 70's. I ordered a bottle and it arrived today. So I just want to say thanks for bringing this product back to mind. It feels really good on my face, and smells fantastic! Wife likes it too. :thumbup1:

None of my parents or relatives wore Canoe... it was probably too old for even them. When I first tried Canoe, I just didn't really feel it was decidedly masculine. It smelled very unisex, like anyone could have worn it. The dominant note I got was carnations, after all, and then sweet coumarin. The funny thing about Canoe... for several years it was a woman's fragrance before it was rebranded as a men's fragrance. That's true of many fragrances in that style, however- originally they were unisex. Keep in mind Canoe is a style of fragrance that was very popular before womens fragrances like Tabu came out, which intentionally was designed to smell like a whore, and many women's fragrances followed suit. In contrast, Canoe, a fougere, is supposed to evoke thoughts of nature.

I do like Canoe... I just think its too potent to wear the EDT every day except in very judicious amounts (a drop). I've never tried the aftershave. I even think Clubman is too strong as an aftershave.

Last edited:
Interesting. I don't go to Sears here because I have called their customer service twice, and both times I was hung up on. Even once when it was to report being hung up on. Nice, right? :001_rolle

When you give Canoe a chance, please let me know what you think of it. With some luck, mine will be here tomorrow. I went for the 4oz size to try out. If I like that one, I'll go for the full 8oz bottle. It is still under $20 on Amazon.

Sorry, I just saw this reply. I worked for Sears as a retail salesperson (called an associate) for a couple of years. When I have time to kill I stop by to see some current employees I like and used to work with. Some of them are responsible for the fragrances so I usually see what they have on the shelf. They also stock several of the other "old school" colognes and aftershaves like British Sterling, Jovan Musk, 4711 and English Leather. I still haven't tried that!

Seeing this thread last month and it got me thinking about how much I enjoyed Canoe back in the 70's. I ordered a bottle and it arrived today. So I just want to say thanks for bringing this product back to mind. It feels really good on my face, and smells fantastic! Wife likes it too. :thumbup1:

A lot of us were wearing Canoe in the '60s (as well as Brut and English Leather) when we were in high school. I can't remember what our "go to" was in the '70s.

I'm glad you're both enjoying Canoe! I've used it once, and I'll likely use it again later on this week. :)

Got sucked in by the title which brought on an awesome wave of nostalgia! Used this in the 60's/70's during my " dating " years and it was quite popular back then. They used to run some cool commercials in the day. Will have to hunt some up and see if it brings back memories! Lol!
Lot of cool recommendations for throwback AS in this thread that were huge back in the day. English Leather and British Sterling were some goto's on date night. Thanks for the awesome memories guys! ��

Top Bottom