What's new

Cano leaving and Ellsberry

Yankee fans,how do you feel about Canos departure. It appears that it is truly all about the money. But if anyone could handle the $ 240 mil contract I thought the Yankees would be the team. And what about Ellsberry? Can he take up Canos slack? Just thinking? Whats your take?

Both bad deals in my opinion. Cano is a great 2nd basemen...but 10 years! Cano will be 32 in October and you don't see 42 year olds playing second base in MLB. His best years are probably behind him. He will help the Mariners but hes just one player. And 2nd basemen do not win Championships. They should of gone after David Price instead(which they may still do by trading one of their 2nd base prospects with Nick Franklin or Dustin Ackley).

Ellsbury was an equally terrible signing. He will be getting 20 million a year till hes 37...He's known for his speed. That's usually the first thing that declines as players age. Hes also injury prone.

Have the Yankees learned nothing from A-Rods contract? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

They just signed Carlos Beltran, 36-years-old.

They should try and lure Bernie Williams and Paul O'Neill out of retirement and hire a necromancer to try and lure Mickey Mantle out of the grave.

What a weird team.

Cano's bat is so potent that he could DH and still be highly valuable. He could be a HOFer when all is said and done. Ellsbury is so hard to predict. I'm a Red Sox fan and it was virtually impossible to guess what he'd do season-to-season. The knock is that he's injury-prone but his two major injuries have been on violent collisions so he's not really an injury risk like someone with a bad back or bad knee.

However I think NY is paying superstar prices for good, solid players (McCann and Ellsbury). The other weird thing with Ellsbury is how do you predict what he's going to do offensively? He's pretty much a 7-9 HR, good doubles, and SBs. But that 2011 explosion is such an outlier. 32 HRS! His second highest season is 9. He was incredible that season and was even better as the team imploded during that September.

But how do the Yankees know what Ellsbury will hit and is he worth $5M/yr more than what Crawford gets? I think Ellsbury will hit more HRs as he gets helped by the short right field, sort of like how Damon hit for them. But they had a Hall of Famer in Cano and let him go. I know its a ton of years but the difference between paying a 2B vs. a 1B is that a 2B is a more athletic player whereas a 1B is already on the low end of the defensive spectrum. It's not like Cano hits great for a 2B. He hits great for any position. As a Sox fan I'm glad to see him leave.

What was Brian Cashman thinking giving Jacoby Ellsbury almost $22 million a year, but refusing to give Robinson Cano $24 million a year? Cano will sell more jerseys and is an will always be a better player than Ellsbury. Did Cashman forget about Brett Gardner? He is a cheaper, slightly less talented version of Ellsbury. Cano will probably be a good hitter and fielder for seven of those ten years and then just DH, still being a good hitter. Way to lose a franchise player, Cashman.

I like the Carlos Beltran deal. The guy has proven time and time again that he can hit. Plus, he will sell a lot of jerseys.

The real question is: has Brian Cashman forgotten that the Yankees need pitching? That needs to be his next move.

Both bad deals in my opinion. Cano is a great 2nd basemen...but 10 years! Cano will be 32 in October and you don't see 42 year olds playing second base in MLB. His best years are probably behind him. He will help the Mariners but hes just one player. And 2nd basemen do not win Championships. They should of gone after David Price instead(which they may still do by trading one of their 2nd base prospects with Nick Franklin or Dustin Ackley).

The Cano signing has nothing to do with winning- it is all about selling jerseys (which all contracts are about). From a baseball perspective, Cano's deal is awful, but from a business perspective, Cano's deal is great.

They just signed Carlos Beltran, 36-years-old.

They should try and lure Bernie Williams and Paul O'Neill out of retirement and hire a necromancer to try and lure Mickey Mantle out of the grave.

What a weird team.

indeed.

The real question is: has Brian Cashman forgotten that the Yankees need pitching? That needs to be his next move.
perhaps his next move will be to sign curt shilling, randy Johnson and roger Clemens to long-term deals as well.

is sandy Koufax available?

One other thing I was thinking about Cano is that he just killed off any chance he ever had of getting into the Hall of Fame. Maybe he never stood a chance of getting in (I will leave my Yankee bias out of this :lol:), but going to Seattle and (probably) never winning another World Series title lowers his chances to zero.

Top Bottom