What's new

Canned wine ?

My issue with the idea of canned wine is that wine shouldn't be sipped from cans. It belongs in a glass. You could always pour it from the can, but then why not just go for a bottle or even a box? That aside, beer and wine cooler type things are usually terrible when they come in cans, so I wouldn't have high expectations for the quality.

Give it a try, though, and let us know if it's worthwhile.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The only one I've tried actually was hopped, and it wasn't good. That had everything to do with the wine and nothing to do with the can. I'm more than willing to try another.

Cans are perfectly fine packaging, these days. Today's cans are not like the cans of yore, when whatever came out of it tasted as much of the can than anything else.

Ah yes..wine in a can. It reminds me of radio commercials of the 80s for a then fictional but now real wine. Hiney wine. Their motto? You only go through life once. Grab all the Hiney you can.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 7
Apparently it's taking off in the UK this summer: a number of retailers are stocking 25cl cans of whites or roses for about GBP2.50. The marketing pitch is they are ideal for summer picnics, Wimbledon and the like, easy to transport, keep cold and (crucially!) open.

I'll be in London end of June for a couple of days and may have to investigate.

Ive never seen canned wine here in the states but Im sure its fine. I mean, boxed wine is a thing and its fine and cans are becoming increasing popular for all kinds of adult beverages nowdays because they dont let any light in, which can degrade the product.
I could see it being widely popular for what Rushman was talking about: people on the go and sporting events. I know that here in the states, I go to a lot of soccer games and you see a lot of women drinking this wine that comes in these little plastic jars. Im not a good wine fan but I hear its decent.

Our local wine and grocery stores carry a large collection of canned wines. Most are pure garbage. The only ones I have tasted have come from Coppola wineries. Their whites are OK.

It's pretty popular here as are canned spritzer and cocktails. We have very liberal open container laws. As long as your drink is not in glass you can take it out. Cans are perfect for the Mardi Gras route.

Apparently it's taking off in the UK this summer: a number of retailers are stocking 25cl cans of whites or roses for about GBP2.50. The marketing pitch is they are ideal for summer picnics, Wimbledon and the like, easy to transport, keep cold and (crucially!) open.

I'll be in London end of June for a couple of days and may have to investigate.

I haven't noticed it in the supermarkets here, but I'm in the provinces so it might not have made it yet...

Here in Savannah, a canned rose is a nice thing to have as you wander around the squares downtown. Some brands are good, some not so much. The lady likes to buy a few every time we go downtown and try different things. Big thumbs up here!

Top Bottom