What's new

Canned Goo. It isn't bad at ALL.

Recently I have been dealing with some neurological issues that affected my right hand and arm. After months of dealing with alternating pain and numbness in that area, I decided to go back to using Edge gel shaving cream like I used to do when I shaved with cartridge razors. I think all of that swirling with a brush aggravated my condition. My hand and arm, have for the most part, returned to normal. I am getting fine shaves with the Goo too. I am not urging everyone to give up their badgers and shave soap but if you prefer using the canned Goo, no reason to give it up. I do have some soaps and brushes that I really like and I plan on slowly working them back into rotation, but I may never be able to go back to them full time. It is ok though because the Goo works just fine.

Best wishes on continued improvement!!
For me, I've had many great shaves with canned stuff!!

foams.jpg

I’m glad to hear you’re having good shaves with Canned Goo. If the work required by a brush and soap caused the pain in the the first place, I’d say good riddance! Although you enjoyed Edge Gel I find many of the canned products to work very well, with Barbasol taking the win for scent, performance and price.

I love Barbasol now that I have my razors sorted out: 2 to 3 blade carts. I spent a small fortune on the “better” stuff like brushes, soaps, and DE’s and get the best shaves from Barbasol and either a Gillette Sensor 2+ or Shick Hydro 3 Sensitive. Live and learn!

The most important thing I learned from making lather with a soap and brush was to a) work the lather in well and b)make sure the lather is well hydrated. Mapping the beard is very important as well.

Barbasol is very easy to misuse, as it is very concentrated. A little blob when hydrated becomes very abundant, creamy, and slick. When too much is used without hydrating however, it s very drying and not slick. That’s the operators problem though, not Barbasols!

I don’t read a whole lot about people here worrying about the costs anymore. When I first joined this group that’s what it was all about that, and getting a better shave, now it’s all about accumulating more and more stuff.
Cost? Hard to discuss cost when people pay a fortune for a tub of soft soap which has been blessed by the gods of seven worlds, made from the oil of mermaid tears and scented with unicorn breath.

I have a can of Nivea Cool Kick Shaving Gel. I use it once in a while and it works really well. It provides great cushioning as well as being very slick (more so if it is applied on wet face). Scent is nice, the typical Nivea scent which I like. My face doesn't feel dry after shaving. Of course I still prefer using a good soap and a brush. But on days when I am in a hurry, this canned gel really works well. Has anyone tried it before?

Like others have said, one thing that keeps me from every feeling the need to switch back to Barbasol is the ingredient list. I'm younger than most on this forum and don't want to be putting chemicals on my skin daily. Plus, the hydration just isn't there when using canned cream.

Recently I have been dealing with some neurological issues that affected my right hand and arm. After months of dealing with alternating pain and numbness in that area, I decided to go back to using Edge gel shaving cream like I used to do when I shaved with cartridge razors. I think all of that swirling with a brush aggravated my condition. My hand and arm, have for the most part, returned to normal. I am getting fine shaves with the Goo too. I am not urging everyone to give up their badgers and shave soap but if you prefer using the canned Goo, no reason to give it up. I do have some soaps and brushes that I really like and I plan on slowly working them back into rotation, but I may never be able to go back to them full time. It is ok though because the Goo works just fine.

One thing that helps me to create lather quicker is to smear an appropriate amount of shaving soap in the bottom of my Timeless bowl and add a few drops of hot water to it and let it sit for the 10-15 minutes it takes me to shower. It softens up the soap and generates lather quickly.

This method works best with drier soaps; cream like soaps don't benefit as much. You also have to be careful about how much water is in the brush with this method but for many soaps it allows me to create lather much quicker and with less elbow grease. Good luck and hope you get better soon!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Some people mentioned Aveeno, a relative had a can of their... not the dark blue cap, but the light blue capped one, and it smelled -really- nice. I never got to try it, but I never seem to be able to catch it on sale, it always seems to be around $7-8 a can. I do like Aveeno products in general though, their lotion and sunscreens in particular. They just agree with me.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Some people mentioned Aveeno, a relative had a can of their... not the dark blue cap, but the light blue capped one, and it smelled -really- nice. I never got to try it, but I never seem to be able to catch it on sale, it always seems to be around $7-8 a can. I do like Aveeno products in general though, their lotion and sunscreens in particular. They just agree with me.
I remember using the Aveeno gel back in my cart shaving days. I preferred it over Edge gel.

Got a can of Barbasol a few years ago. The airlines lost my luggage or it didn’t show up for a few days while overseas. Used it a few times. Just added water to the lather. It worked fine. But when I got back home I gifted it to my 8yr old. He uses it for his shaving stuff, now.

I shave almost almost exclusively with DE when home, which is most of the time as I do not travel for business. If all I need is a decent, socially acceptable, fast, no fuss, 1 pass shave that isn’t too close on the go, a travel sized can of Edge and a Mach 3 works great, and is my go to travel set up as packing a bunch of blades, soaps, brushes, bowls, AS, balm, etc….. and dealing with it in a tiny (shared) hotel bath is more hassle and time than I’m up for on the the move. Weekend or week outdoors? I’m not shaving over a running stream, boiling water or trapping a real badger to lather. The Braun 7 electric holds enough charge to knock down stubble to a socially acceptable stubble for a week and is still lighter and smaller in its travel case to camp pack than everything I would need to DE shave. My skin requires zero after care product with electric. The wet rated electric razor also works GREAT wet with Cremo. Electric takes a while, but vs getting out all the DE stuff, cleaning it up and putting it away the extra time shaving is made up with no clean up. I’ll always have a Mach 3, Edge or something equivalent and an electric around for travel and cleaning up the back of my neck between haircuts, but I’ll never reach for them first if I’m home, where I can get a good DE shave with brush and soap. If all you want is a quick, easy shave without a lot of hassle, or if you have a beard that carts give a close shave, I certainly understand exclusive cart and canned creme or electric users who think the rest of us are crazy. Lots of products, options and uses. Do what works for you.

Top Bottom